Wedding Woes
Options

Woman vents

As I've mentioned before, I'm high risk for breast cancer. As such, I undergo surveillance 4x a year (MRI, Mammogram, 2 clinical exams); had a breast reduction and walked in the Komen 3 Day. I'm also only 37. 

Today I show up for my annual mammogram, and I'm already in a mood becuse a. My last one resulted in a biopsy. B.  You're about to smash my boobs. C. I'm mentally preparing for another false negative since I'm still healing internally from the surgery.

The lady at registration says to me:  oh my, you're so young. I responded:  well, it's my tenth mammogram. Her:  but you're so young. Me:  yes, but I'm 6 years past my families onset age so I'm here all the time. 

Then she walks me back back and gets the robe out. I said:  opens in the front, stuff in a locker. She said:  you really do do this all the time.

Re: Woman vents

• Options
    So rude of her to comment. I found a lump almost 2 years ago (negative, it's basically a third boob), but in the waiting room, surrounded by older women there for a regular mammogram check, I felt that everyone must be assuming the worst for me since I was about your age. The last thing you need is having that pointed out to you.  I hope you get a good result from this one

• Options
    That woman was so out of line! I'm sorry you had to deal with such rude bullshit. I'm sending you healthy vibes for good results!! 
  • Options
    Ughhh!!  I have a friend in the same position as you.  She has to do a similar routine every year. 

And my best friend was diagnosed with breast cancer at 22 and died at 28 because it metastasized.  She felt the lump at 20 and was ignored for 2 years.  People like the nurse need to stop because those comments and attitudes are why it's harder for women to be taken seriously when it comes to their health. 
  • Options
    I had a receptionist at my clinic - who apologized after - ask if I was high risk pregnancy because she didn't realize how far I was.
    When booking my January appt, I advised I may be cancelling because I have an OB appt {i'll be 17 weeks then}
    Her: oh are you high risk? Oh wait ... I shouldn't have asked that.
    Me; oh no no {I really wasn't offended} I'll be 17 weeks at the end of the month.
    Her: you're not showing that much, I thought you were just going early.

I've also been warned that since I look young that I may get some judgey looks lol
  • Options
    yea that's just unprofessional and ridiculous. 
  • Options
    UGH! As though getting a mammogram isn't unpleasant enough (I'd imagine), that lady just made it even worse. So sorry. I'm with Jen... I think I'd be tempted to report her.

• Options
    Sadly, it's not the first time it's happened.  I had an ultrasound in my twenties that I reported, and went back for another after the technician told me I was being paranoid because I was too young.  I was worried her assumption tainted her findings.  Nothing was there thankfully.

@mrsconn23 I'm so sorry to hear about your friend, that is heartbreaking.  

I may actually follow your advice and complain.  My family onset age is 32.  My cousin is a two year survivor of ovarian cancer and turns 40 next year.  This hospital recognizes that and as such has a program for young, high risk women.  I've been involved for 9 years.  The recognition that breast cancer can happen to anyone should be top-down and not just behind the lobby doors.
  • Options
    That’s so obnoxious @kimmiinthemitten!  Sorry that you had to deal with that employee on top of having to stay on top of your breast cancer risk!

My woman vent is that I had my annual OB/gyn checkup last week, and I hadn’t planned on bringing my (three young) kids but H had to work unexpected overtime at the last minute.  Two different women in the waiting room gave my kids the eye and then gave me a “whoa- you’re brave!” comment with an eye roll.  It wasn’t any of their business but I explained I was just there for a checkup.  On the car ride home it hit me like why did the thought of me having a fourth child move them enough to make a snide comment?!  The difference between our stories though is mine came from random patients, yours was from an employee- not cool.
  • Options
    I have heard this for years because of my heart problems, which are also genetic. I had a DOCTOR act like this, luckly I didn't listen to him tell me I was to young, its just stress. My 2nd opinion Dr. didn't even let me leave the hospital after the arteriogram the first Dr. didn't think I needed, I had triple by-pass at 32. I have had cousins die younger than that, some "medical professionals" need to be reported. This has been my soap box subject for the past 20 years. Now that I am 51 I don't hear it so much, but for years I think every stress test tech told me I was to young, until they saw my giant scar.
  • Options
    I have heard this for years because of my heart problems, which are also genetic. I had a DOCTOR act like this, luckly I didn't listen to him tell me I was to young, its just stress. My 2nd opinion Dr. didn't even let me leave the hospital after the arteriogram the first Dr. didn't think I needed, I had triple by-pass at 32. I have had cousins die younger than that, some "medical professionals" need to be reported. This has been my soap box subject for the past 20 years. Now that I am 51 I don't hear it so much, but for years I think every stress test tech told me I was to young, until they saw my giant scar.

This and the other stories on here are good examples that doctors and other medical professionals aren't perfect and they don't know everything.

Always advocate for yourself.

Seek a second opinion and/or a new doctor, if you aren't being listened to.

I had a similar experience to @pegasuskat, though not as immediately serious.  I have a really bad thyroid.  I've had multiple doctors tell me that it barely functions.  I'd lost my insurance due to a job loss (before the ACA) and had been without my thyroid medication for almost a year (stupid, I know),  When my waiting period was finally over, I went to go see a new doctor under my new insurance.  I told him my history and that I was especially concerned about getting back on my thyroid medication.

He was a patronizing a** to me, the whole time.  It seemed like he got it in his head that, because I was overweight, I was trying to "scam" him out of a prescription for thyroid pills.  Whatever.  I knew my bloodwork would show him the light.

Except it didn't.  When I went back for my second appointment, we went over my lab results.  He actually told me that, even though my thyroid was showing low in my test results, he wasn't going to prescribe it to me.  Because he thought I should focus on losing weight by eating better and exercising.  Y'all, I never at ANY time expressed concern about my weight.  That was all him.  And, this wasn't even a zero sum game.  A person can eat healthy, exercise, and take thyroid medication.  FFS!!!!  It isn't one or the other.

I went to see another doctor.  Imagine my joy when, after introducing herself to me, the very next thing out of her mouth was, "We need to test your thyroid.  I can tell by looking at you it is way too low and I'm concerned."  (A low thyroid can cause a small goiter and a yellowish cast to the skin.)  In fact, she gave me a 30-day prescription to start before I left her office.  She said she would write another one for a more correct dosage, after she got my test results back.

Talk about a huge difference in treatment!

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    @pegasuskat wow, that's awful.  Patients should never have to justify why they are there, especially to people who are just there to take records, images, etc.
  • Options

I actually was helped by someone who questioned my age, though she was a little careful how she did it.

The same awful doctor in my story did call in a prescription for BCP.  Except he screwed up.  And accidentally called the prescription in for a menopausal medication.

I was in my early 30's, at the time.  I go to pick up my BCP prescription and the pharmacist just looked a little confused.  She asked if the prescription was for me.  I told her it was.  She asked if it was supposed to be a prescription for menopausal symptoms.  I told her it was not, it was supposed to be for BCP.  She then opened up a little more and said something like, "Okay!  That's why I asked.  You look too young to be going through menopause.  I'd suggest you don't pick it up and call your doctor instead, because this isn't BCP."

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options

I actually was helped by someone who questioned my age, though she was a little careful how she did it.

The same awful doctor in my story did call in a prescription for BCP.  Except he screwed up.  And accidentally called the prescription in for a menopausal medication.

I was in my early 30's, at the time.  I go to pick up my BCP prescription and the pharmacist just looked a little confused.  She asked if the prescription was for me.  I told her it was.  She asked if it was supposed to be a prescription for menopausal symptoms.  I told her it was not, it was supposed to be for BCP.  She then opened up a little more and said something like, "Okay!  That's why I asked.  You look too young to be going through menopause.  I'd suggest you don't pick it up and call your doctor instead, because this isn't BCP."

see, that scenario I don't mind!  She had a good memory too.  Most of the people who fill the rx bags aren't the ones handing them out!  You were lucky but then again, I'm sure you would have noticed once you opened it too.

• Options
    Ironically, today I had an age question too!

I went to get a Hep A shot because they're encouraging all food workers to get them, and the nurse recommended I get my tetanus shot.  The other nurse said "she doesn't look old enough to need a new tetanus."  Me:  "I've been out of HS for 20 years so I probably do."

• Options
    short+sassyshort+sassy member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited December 2017

see, that scenario I don't mind!  She had a good memory too.  Most of the people who fill the rx bags aren't the ones handing them out!  You were lucky but then again, I'm sure you would have noticed once you opened it too.

This experience was at a Target and I'm pretty sure the woman was the pharmacist, as opposed to a pharm. tech.  But I've noticed there is one Walmart in the area...it's not all of them...where it is only the pharmacist who will hand over the medication.

The procedure is the pharmacy tech/cashier rings you up and calls for the pharmacist.  The customer steps down to one end of the counter to meet them.  They tell you each medication they are handing you and ask if any are new prescriptions or if you have any questions.  If it is a new prescription, the pharmacist will point to the instructions on the bottle and also verbally tell them to you.

But then the other Walmarts have whoever rings a customer up, hand them their medication.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options

I went to get a Hep A shot because they're encouraging all food workers to get them, and the nurse recommended I get my tetanus shot.  The other nurse said "she doesn't look old enough to need a new tetanus."  Me:  "I've been out of HS for 20 years so I probably do."

Tetanus is every ten years. Earlier if you’ve had a puncture wound. Out of all the vaccines to say “she’s too young,” calling out tetanus specifically strikes me as odd. If you’re curious about any of your other old vaccines, you can get titers drawn that will tell you if you’re still protected or if you need a booster. 

• Options
    levioosa said:

Tetanus is every ten years. Earlier if you’ve had a puncture wound. Out of all the vaccines to say “she’s too young,” calling out tetanus specifically strikes me as odd. If you’re curious about any of your other old vaccines, you can get titers drawn that will tell you if you’re still protected or if you need a booster. 

Thank you!  This is good to know!

So far, my experience has been:

Nurse:  "Have you had a tetanus shot in the last 10 years?"

Me, looking blank:  "I don't know.  I think I've had one, maybe two, as an adult.  Maybe it was in the last 10 years."  Because, really, unless there was an incident involved, I'm not going to remember that!

They've always just given me the shot "to be sure".  Hopefully one cannot overdose on tetanus shots, lol.  Or I'd probably be a candidate.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    @short+sassy  I had my last tetanus about 5-6 yrs ago, and I'll have to get one in the third trimester. Since I'm not 'due' for one, then I'll get a slight reaction.
    So no, you can't overdose ;)