Wedding Reception Forum
Options

Trying to decide on a ceremony/reception venue

My fiance and I are getting married on April 12, 2018. We had decided to go with something different and unique to us, our gym. I know that sounds crazy, but they have this aerobics room that would be perfect. Hardwood floors, grey walls, surround sound and system, and one wall is a big mirror. It's plain and pretty, very easy to decorate. Only problem is, I'm not sure as to whether we can do both the reception and ceremony. 

So I'm thinking, maybe the ceremony at his church and reception at the gym. Or just having both at the church. They have a basement we can use as the reception area. 

Another option is doing both at the gym and just having the chairs moved for the reception. The only other obstacle I can think of is, location for the pictures. It's located in a downtown area and there isn't a garden or something pretty nearby. 

Decisions, decisions...

Re: Trying to decide on a ceremony/reception venue

• Options
    Another thing to consider is the hardwood floors at the gym. Your guests (and you!) will probably be limited as to what kind of shoes you can wear, so as not to damage or scuff their hardwood floors. It's not a typical hardwood floor you'd find in other venues. 

And yes, you'll need to think about how you'll be able to store and serve food. 
  • Options
    Unless you own said gym or this is the type of gym that rents out to events I'm going to guess that it's going to be a "no"...  Go with the church and the gathering hall for the reception.  It's set up for those types of events.  Logistically things like tables/chairs, linens, tableware, glassware, kitchen space for the caterers, guest experience, doesn't smell like a gym, etc.  Unless the flooring in the aerobics room is rubber matting, you're going to be extremely limited on the shoes your guests are allowed to wear, and even then, icing is not good to get on rubber matting even though accidental.  Then beverages, etc.  

The RD is a more situational appropriate time to incorporate the sports theme than the wedding itself.  You may be better going with a gym theme (like Halloween party) where you spread word of mouth to "dress for the gym", or wear your gym shoes under your dress, have sports themed desserts, have some protein brownies as a dessert option, FI wears a sports tie, WP wear Referee/sport specific shirts, whatever.  But really, my social-circle friends are primarily bodybuilders, powerlifters, and strongmen, and as much as we all love our time in the gym, it's also good/healthy for all of us gym rats to have a chance to clean up once in a while.  
  • Options
    I'd have both the ceremony and reception at the church. I like the suggestions above of taking photos at the gym or working a sports theme into other elements of your wedding.
  • Options
    I had a friend who got married in a dance studio, so I'll say it can be done. But it was a ton of work, and wasn't cheap.

My very first question, if the gym will even allow this, will they close to members that day, or will you hear weights dropping on the floor in the background during your vows? I wouldn't even consider it if people will be working out. Outside of the obvious smell issue, are your guests going to be comfortable sharing the bathroom with gym goers doing their normal locker room routine? Would the members be comfortable grabbing a shower with a bunch of strange wedding guests around?