Wedding Etiquette Forum
Options

NY/NJ Wedding Welcome Bags

2»

Re: NY/NJ Wedding Welcome Bags

• Options
    eileenrob said:
    I'm from Western NY and I can definitively say that if you referenced southern NY to anyone from my area, we would NOT assume NYC. I would assume that you were talking about the counties in NY just outside the city (Westchester, Rockland etc). NYC to people from this part of the state is its own entity all together. Also, Westchester, Rockland, Bergen etc are NOT upstate NY. Not even a little. 

Also, black and white cookies are also an upstate NY thing (like Albany, Utica area). Had no idea that it was fairly obscure in the western part of the state until I moved here as a kid and never really saw them again. 
    Westchester, Rockland, Bergen are upstate if you are from Long Island. We have cousins in Westchester and we are always calling them "the cousins from upstate" ... it really depends who you ask and where you live. No one from Rochester is going to call Albany upstate but someone from Long Island would.
    Color me confused.  Albany isn’t considered upstate?!  I’m on the Queens/LI border and I don’t consider Westchester, etc. upstate, but Albany I do.  Someone from upstate want to explain what counties are actually upstate?  :D

Vague borders aside I stand by my original point that a NYC subway map wouldn’t be a silly thing to include in a welcome bag for a local-ish wedding.
    As a native Western New Yorker, who lived in the city for 4 years, many of my NYC friends thought I basically lived in Canada. 

But yeah upstate to me is the North Country; so St. Lawrence, Franklin, Clinton, even Essex county; mayyyybe northern Hamilton and Herkimer counties. Maybe. 

Albany is Central New York. 

• Options
    edited June 2018
    https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/politics/wp/2018/04/18/heres-where-new-yorkers-think-upstate-new-york-is/?noredirect=on&utm_term=.0fe3a2a92651

This is a great article that actually shows just how many people think anything north of NYC/Westchester is "upstate" (spoiler alert, it's 54% of people surveyed).

I grew up on LI and now live in NYC and if I was going to anywhere north of Westchester I'm going upstate. I have an event in White Plains next weekend and when I told my in-laws about it they said "oh, have fun upstate!".

I also love the picture accompanying the article with the open ended google survey the author did, it really shows just how much variation there is in the answers.

• Options
    ei34ei34 member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/politics/wp/2018/04/18/heres-where-new-yorkers-think-upstate-new-york-is/?noredirect=on&utm_term=.0fe3a2a92651

This is a great article that actually shows just how many people think anything north of NYC/Westchester is "upstate" (spoiler alert, it's 54% of people surveyed).

I grew up on LI and now live in NYC and if I was going to anywhere north of Westchester I'm going upstate. I have an event in White Plains next weekend and when I told my in-laws about it they said "oh, have fun upstate!".

I also love the picture accompanying the article with the open ended google survey the author did, it really shows just how much variation there is in the answers.

Great article!  Thanks!  
    We go apple picking in either Peekskill or Warwick and say we’re upstate...I see Poughkeepsie is north of them...so we aren’t actually upstate!  This is all so eye opening.
  • Options
    I can't find the exact picture I'm looking for, but it's basically someone writing over this "DOES THIS LOOK UPSTATE TO YOU?" It always cracks me up. It's like when they portrayed Suffern NY on SATC as some backwoods farm country, when it's actually an overdeveloped, busy town that has a train directly from GC. 

That red county is not upstate! 
  • Options
    ei34ei34 member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    I can't find the exact picture I'm looking for, but it's basically someone writing over this "DOES THIS LOOK UPSTATE TO YOU?" It always cracks me up. It's like when they portrayed Suffern NY on SATC as some backwoods farm country, when it's actually an overdeveloped, busy town that has a train directly from GC. 

That red county is not upstate! 
    Omg I loved Aidan’s cabin! Carrie was such a brat involving all things Aidan.
  • Options
    I know all the locals know this ...but BERGEN is NOT UPSTATE dammit!! Hahahaha