Chit Chat

What bridesmaid dress will go with this with a bunch of different body shapes for a beach wedding?

Re: What bridesmaid dress will go with this with a bunch of different body shapes for a beach wedding?

• Is that your dress - it's beautiful.

First you should ask each bm privately for their dress budget so you can select the shop that will include dresses in everyone's price range. Just pick a color or a few complementary colors, and let each woman choose her own style. Most of the bridal websites have filters so you can experiment online before you shop. For instance go to Davidsbridal.com, choose  your color and you can see what they have in that color. 

• the color is malibu blue. for a beach wedding and this dress, what material fabric should I choose?
  • thank you so much!! it might be. I'm gonna go try it on at my appt :)
  • edited June 2018
    we are also paying for the dresses and fh wants them to be all the same  which makes it difficult. im ok with it being same fabric,length and color.just don't know what kind of fabric.
  • we are also paying for the dresses and fh wants them to be all the same  which makes it difficult. im ok with it being same fabric,length and color.just don't know what kind of fabric.
    The more specific you get, the less likely it will fit a bunch of different body types. Is FH paying for all of it? Is he willing to compromise? 
  • we are also paying for the dresses and fh wants them to be all the same  which makes it difficult. im ok with it being same fabric,length and color.just don't know what kind of fabric.
    I'm always surprised when a bride says her future husband has a preference for what the bm wear. Is he in the fashion industry? If your bm are assorted shapes and sizes, they will probably feel and look better in styles they have chosen. The color will tie everything together.

I see there is a style your way mesh bm dress in malibu, pricey at $179. I've never tried on such a dress, but maybe your bm would like to try that and see if the sales consultant is able to style everyone to their satisfaction.

For short dresses, I like these two. One covers the boobs, in case you have bm who are self conscious  and the other one has a stylized angled neckline that I think would complement your dress well. 

• I agree to just give them a color (Malibu) and a length (short if that is your dress) and let them go with it. I'm busty and would never be comfortable wearing a strapless or plunging neckline. Your FH shouldn't have a say in what they are wearing other than the level of formality which is dictated by the type of wedding you are having. That wedding dress is beautiful btw!
  • edited June 2018
    I really love the  convertible look but not sure if they will be able to hem it up shorter or not. I really love the first lace bridesmaid dress!!  my dress choices would be these. but not sure if they will be to short for my girls. I want something below the knee  it David's  bridal doesn't offer many in that color :( my other  concern is if its windy, will tra length bridesmaid dresses be ok or will they blow up and be annoying lol
  • If those are the two you like, then you need to let your BMs know and have them set up an appointment to try on both dress options. You don't all have to go together; the good thing about David's is that they're everywhere so each woman could go to the location closest to her. Some people also don't like trying on clothes in front of other people.

My sister had a beach wedding and wanted a dress & fabric that looked good on everyone, as we all had very different body types. She ended up choosing a convertible dress and it came in some sort of jersey material that was VERY hot, heavy, and uncomfortable on the beach. I threw that dress in my closet when we got home and haven't looked at it since. I think we all would have been more comfortable choosing our own dress in whatever color she wanted. I'm going to echo PPs that if you're worried about everyone feeling comfortable in their dress, give them some parameters (malibu blue color, knee-ish length, etc) and let them go from there. If you're paying for the dresses, you could also give them your dress budget and let them know they're welcome to go above that if they want to cover the rest of the cost.
  • they have an appt the same day as mine. :) the problem is that the closest David's bridal is an hour away from me and even farther for my girls. the converterible dress I was looking at were mesh I believe. not sure if that's  a difference or not. maybe I will just have them try them on and then if they don't like it I'll have them just pick something out. I just wanted to have some kind of ideas so I don't walk in overwhelmed and lost lol 
  • I will definitely try to give them options. maybe a tea length or knee length with lace in malibu blue. the only problem is David's bridal doesn't have a lot of options for those choices  :( 
  • I will definitely try to give them options. maybe a tea length or knee length with lace in malibu blue. the only problem is David's bridal doesn't have a lot of options for those choices  :( 
    Just be prepared to not try the dress on in the color that it will be ordered in. 

Tea length/knee length is a hard length and I think, in general, you won't have a ton of options there. Is the reason for this length for the GMs because your dress is this length? I do think it would look fine to do shorter/longer with your dress if there aren't many options of tea/knee length. 
  • this was another look if I was going with the longer look.  just not sure how it would look on the beach with a tea length wedding dress. 
  • Personally, I think a long dress would be a PITA on the sand. If you're really dead-set on everyone having the exact same dress, let the consultants at David's help you. We have no idea what your BMs look like, and it's really hard to predict how most clothes you see online will look in real life on someone who isn't tall & thin. If you discuss with the consultant your wedding venue & what you want from your dress, she could suggest options that would fit your BMs and they could try most options on in the store. They may not have every style in that color though, just keep that in mind. 
  • lovesclimbinglovesclimbing member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its First Answer
    edited June 2018
    Whether or not a dress will blow up has a lot to do with material and style and less to do with length. I've worn and wear a lot of dresses, and tea length vs. knee length doesn't really matter. If it's in a lightweight fabric and it's not fitted like a sheath or similar, it will blow up. Anything posted so far in this thread will probably blow up in a good breeze, even the long ones. I've had ankle-length skirts blow up before! 

ETA: some other points. 
  • Also, for a beach wedding, I've seen wedding parties walk and stand on runners. That can help for not dragging in the sand. They can also get them altered so they're not brushing the floor. I presume the reception isn't also on the beach so full length is only a concern for a very short amount of time. And you stand still for pictures, so. 

Knee length or full length next to your tea-length dress isn't going to be an issue, honestly. Tea length is very difficult for most people to pull off so I'd discourage trying that for your 'maids. My two cents! 

I didn't like any of the David's tea length dresses. You could pick long dresses and have them hemmed to tea length. David's alterations can be expensive, but you could probably find someone else to do it for less.

• IMO - pick the color and designer and if he wants the GM wearing the same matchy-matchy, go for it.  I know you mentioned in the previous post that David's is a distance, but David's has ordering online as an option then they're technically all the same color for certain and tons of budget options because there's always the clearance section...  Also, there is no such thing as "Wearing the BM dress again" unless you tell them "Choose your favorite little black dress"...  
  • If you’re going for a tea length wedding dress then it will look better if your bridesmaids also have a tea or knee length dress. The problem is matching the fabric. You would want something light enough for the beach, but not too light since your dress is heavy. The good news is you have a color, an idea that you want them to be the same and you know they shouldn’t be floor length. That’s better than nothing! A mix match of lace on the top and something breezy on the bottom would be good like in the pictures posted up top. Go in with that and let your bridesmaids help you make the final decision. Try on different dress styles and then order them in the correct color. 
  • banana468 said:
    Tea length dresses are SO HARD to pull off.   I thought I wanted them on my BMs but they were really tricky in length.   

Ultimately we went with long dresses but our wedding was air conditioned inside. 

I would frankly tell your FI that he needs to STFU on it.   Women have different body types and it's a pain to tell a bunch of people to wear the same article of clothing.  
    So true. I had to wear a tea length BM dress for a beach wedding. Looked great on the tall girl.Me, not so much. 
  • banana468 said:
    banana468 said:
    Tea length dresses are SO HARD to pull off.   I thought I wanted them on my BMs but they were really tricky in length.   

Ultimately we went with long dresses but our wedding was air conditioned inside. 

I would frankly tell your FI that he needs to STFU on it.   Women have different body types and it's a pain to tell a bunch of people to wear the same article of clothing.  
    So true. I had to wear a tea length BM dress for a beach wedding. Looked great on the tall girl.Me, not so much. 
    My BMs when trying dresses on called it the "Potato/Whore Syndrome".  As they picked up dresses with hanger appeal, 99% had to be vetoed because they either looked like a root vegetable or like women of the night: their words - not mine!
    Lol! That's true with most clothing, unfortunately. It seems like these days the trend in regular clothing is super baggy and boxy and loose or super tight. No! What happened to clothes that skim the body? One of the reasons I've begun sewing more of my own clothes is because nothing has a good neckline. It's either boat or crew necked or showing off several inches of cleavage. I typically don't go for necklines lower than the bottom of my hand when I place my thumb in the hollow of my neck with the fingers together. So hard to find scoop and v necklines within an inch or so of that. 

Also, plus one to tea length dresses being hard to pull off unless you look like Carrie Underwood. 
  • I'm so excited that when I asked my girls to choose between 4 different dresses they all chose the same one!  Now hopefully it looks good on all them too.  My dress is still be determined but they all love this one but not sure if it will be to much for a simple beach wedding lol