Wedding Woes
Options

Wonderful Wednesday

2»

Re: Wonderful Wednesday

• Options
    Finally coming up for air! This week @ work has been so busy.

I have my flight booked to head to Cleveland for my nieces birthday party the first week in August. I asked my sister what she wanted and apparently, all that's on her birthday list is clothes and shoes. When I was 8, I was still playing with toys!! Yeeesh.  
  • Options
    Re: DNA. I really do want to do one of those DNA test things. Maybe I'm hopelessly naive, but I just don't see what they could do with my DNA that I'd really be opposed to. Clone me? Scientific research? Sell it to some other for-profit company? Meh. As I'm not a criminal, I just don't see how it could be used for nefarious reasons (unless someone with access to it down the line really wanted to frame someone, anyone, for a crime I suppose...).

Re: working out. I signed up for a charity bike race! But two weekends ago I rode 14 miles and for the rest of the week felt like I'd die. My upper back was killing me, as were my knees. The race is just 18 miles so I'll live, but I should figure out some stretches or something to do before starting. 
    My concern is private health info becoming public. 
  • Options
    Re: DNA. I really do want to do one of those DNA test things. Maybe I'm hopelessly naive, but I just don't see what they could do with my DNA that I'd really be opposed to. Clone me? Scientific research? Sell it to some other for-profit company? Meh. As I'm not a criminal, I just don't see how it could be used for nefarious reasons (unless someone with access to it down the line really wanted to frame someone, anyone, for a crime I suppose...).

Re: working out. I signed up for a charity bike race! But two weekends ago I rode 14 miles and for the rest of the week felt like I'd die. My upper back was killing me, as were my knees. The race is just 18 miles so I'll live, but I should figure out some stretches or something to do before starting. 
    Link it to other data sources (hospital records, banking info, and other personal info) and ransom it, threaten to release it, give it to your employers. I mean my brain just goes there, but there are reasons people keep info private. 

I hadn't thought of that!  Insurance companies are so NEFARIOUS, I could totally see a world where people are denied medical or life insurance coverage because they have a "genetic indicator" that they are at a higher risk for (insert medical condition).  Even if they don't currently and have never had that condition.

I actually had something like that happen to me with life insurance.  Long story short, my doctor had a slight concern I had a particular medical condition along with my Type I Diabetes.  So he prescribed me a medication that, normally, would have been continuing if I'd had that condition.  By my next visit, he decided I did not.  I took it just for those few months and never took it again.  A few years later, I applied for life insurance (outside of my employer).  I specifically applied with a company who were (supposedly) okay with my diabetes and, of course, I had disclosed that condition.

That medication I briefly took raised alarm bells for them, coupled with the Type I.  Even though I'm assuming it was in my medical records that it was determined I did NOT have that condition, they denied me anyway.

Lesson to learn:  Be careful with the prescriptions you get filled.  They stay attached to your medical file/SSN for your entire life.

Obviously I don't want people to not take prescriptions they need.  But any medication that treats or even could treat depression...even if it also treats other things...will potentially raise those flags.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    mrsconn23 said:
    levioosa said:
    I read an interesting article about how using the DNA kits also has a clause in the agreement that they can use your DNA however they want. That’s what freaks me out. The criminal stuff not as much. 

Uh yeah.  Because companies never abuse the information they receive from customers.  :: side eye ::

I understand people wanting to do it, and you do you and all that, but I have a lot of questions about how they're using that information.  It's your genetic material that you're giving to them.  It seems just as crazy to me as throwing your SSN to the wind and a company saying they can do what they want with it. 
    Even before I read the article I was super suspicious about the genetic testing. We're in a new era here. There's too much potential for abuse and we have no idea where genetics are going to take us. I don't trust anyone with that info. 

• Options

Link it to other data sources (hospital records, banking info, and other personal info) and ransom it, threaten to release it, give it to your employers. I mean my brain just goes there, but there are reasons people keep info private. 

STUCK
    @s@STARMOON44 's point about private medical info becoming public is a good point. Are the DNA companies required to abide by HIPAA? I may go look that up now, haha. 

It's also an interesting point about insurance companies potentially using genetic indicators when assessing risk.

But, just linking to medical records- medical records are covered by HIPAA. Banking info... not sure how that helps anyone stealing my banking info. Ransom? Meh, take it, I don't care.

Maybe just because I have nothing to hide (at least, that I know of)- I'm healthy as a horse with not much of consequence in known family medical history. I feel like if anyone got their hands on my stuff it's still just shrug-worthy information on me, personally. At least this is a completely optional service- don't like it, don't buy it. 

• Options
    6fsn said:
    The easiest way to make me lose my shit is to leave stuff on my island. Fruit basket and noting else
    I'm the same way.

My mom was super anti-clutter and I definitely inherited that. The only thing I will allow anywhere on my counters is the knife block, and I'm not super excited about that even. 
    Image result for someecard betting someone half your shit youll love them forever
  • Options
    6fsn said:
    The easiest way to make me lose my shit is to leave stuff on my island. Fruit basket and noting else
    I'm the same way.

My mom was super anti-clutter and I definitely inherited that. The only thing I will allow anywhere on my counters is the knife block, and I'm not super excited about that even. 
    H is a paper saver. He tends to leave his work papers all over the island. I moved his stack once and he couldn't find something he needed.

I told him that it would be nice to eat at the island every once and a while and he said, "If we do that, where will I store my papers"  :|

I bought him a little filing cabinet shortly thereafter. 
  • Options
    I love you guys.  I struggle with H leaving things on the island/counter tops too.  Like, on a daily basis.  It makes me all warm inside knowing others have this problem with their SO's too. 

• Options
    6fsn said:
    I'm the same way.

One of my friends is like that!  Cannot stand to have one, single thing on his counters.  No knife block.  No coffee maker or any other type of small kitchen appliance.

To me, it feels like madness!  That's a big part of what counters are for in my world, lol.

We don't have a kitchen island.  I wish.  I would have a pile of papers on it, if we did.  Instead, I have all my papers that haven't been filed in an overflowing basket on the floor next to the coffee table.  But the more urgent, important stuff?  In a pile ON the coffee table.

I know.  I am the worst and acknowledge my shortcomings, lol.  I need Clutterer's Anonymous. 

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    6fsn said:
    I'm the same way.

One of my friends is like that!  Cannot stand to have one, single thing on his counters.  No knife block.  No coffee maker or any other type of small kitchen appliance.

To me, it feels like madness!  That's a big part of what counters are for in my world, lol.

We don't have a kitchen island.  I wish.  I would have a pile of papers on it, if we did.  Instead, I have all my papers that haven't been filed in an overflowing basket on the floor next to the coffee table.  But the more urgent, important stuff?  In a pile ON the coffee table.

I know.  I am the worst and acknowledge my shortcomings, lol.  I need Clutterer's Anonymous. 

I know I'm weird. That's why I blame it on my mom. A couple weeks ago my sister asked me if I thought Mom would haunt her if she bought a table lamp. I'm certain she would. 

Getting a coffeemaker was a big deal for us because we had nowhere to put it. I refuse to live in a house with appliances on counters. He was against putting it in the basement on the bar. I finally, after months of shopping, found an acceptable table and now the coffeepot has its own little table in the kitchen, around the corner (galley kitchen). 

I'm also anti coffee tables, table lamps, really most things that need to be dusted. 

H's friend says our house looks like a hotel because there's no "stuff". H took it as an insult, I took it as a compliment. 

I do admit, though, that our piles of papers are on the desk in the spare bedroom. And I have at least 3 drawers of random crap in the house. 
    Image result for someecard betting someone half your shit youll love them forever
  • Options
    We're an anti-clutter household too. I don't mind having a basket for important papers on an island or table, but they can't be loose. 
    When we first moved in together, DH would give me crap about my clutter. But HIS clutter is ok!
    Like, he hates my bike in the back hallway. Also leaves his sports duffle bag back there. Whatever dude. 

This is so my H and it drives me insane. 

Also, sometimes he will do laundry (yay!) but then only put HIS clothes away (bc he "doesn't know where they go"), then gets irritated if I have a pile of clean clothes in the bedroom.  We've lived together for 4+ years dude - you have an idea where my stuff goes, if not - use your eyes.

• Options
    Casadena said:
    We're an anti-clutter household too. I don't mind having a basket for important papers on an island or table, but they can't be loose. 
    When we first moved in together, DH would give me crap about my clutter. But HIS clutter is ok!
    Like, he hates my bike in the back hallway. Also leaves his sports duffle bag back there. Whatever dude. 

This is so my H and it drives me insane. 

Also, sometimes he will do laundry (yay!) but then only put HIS clothes away (bc he "doesn't know where they go"), then gets irritated if I have a pile of clean clothes in the bedroom.  We've lived together for 4+ years dude - you have an idea where my stuff goes, if not - use your eyes.

GRRRR!!!! H won't put my clothes in the dryer because "he doesn't want to mess anything up" 

Drives me up a wall.
  • Options

This clutter conversation is reminding me of a long ago promise my H made to me that he would build me a built-in bookshelf on the accent wall in our living room.  We have been too complacent with the house and it is time to cash that in.

We will need to decide on a color and paint those two front rooms first.

Then bookshelf.  I want my bookshelf.  By the end of the year.  For Christmas.

But it gets even better.  My house is old and was built with 12' ceilings.  My bookshelf will go almost to the top.  AND...will have one of those wooden ladders with wheels.  Squeee!  I thought the ladder would be too much, too hard.  My H told me it would be NBD and I could have my fancy ladder if I wanted it, lol. 

STUCK

Ugh, I LOVE this! Lucky you! Unfortunately, DH's hatred of clutter extends to bookshelves. We have one bookshelf (it's technically mine). When we moved in together, we purged books we no longer are interested in keeping so the shelf would hold both our collections. Had to do it again when the baby was born as it's in her room and needs to hold her toys and books too. 

Thank God I got a Kindle so DH never has to see my 300-odd books, right? (That was a bit sarcastic.)

• Options

This clutter conversation is reminding me of a long ago promise my H made to me that he would build me a built-in bookshelf on the accent wall in our living room.  We have been too complacent with the house and it is time to cash that in.

But it gets even better.  My house is old and was built with 12' ceilings.  My bookshelf will go almost to the top.  AND...will have one of those wooden ladders with wheels.  Squeee!  I thought the ladder would be too much, too hard.  My H told me it would be NBD and I could have my fancy ladder if I wanted it, lol. 

We have a weird parlor room in the new house and we’re lining it with built bookshelves. It’s going to be like something straight out of a library. I can’t wait. 
  • Options
    GBCKGBCK member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper Combo Breaker

Besides the health information/risks and deny you insurance/life insurance (or my employer.  "did you know GB has the markers for breast cancer?  you might not want to hire her, she's at that 'high risk' age..." .  Use it to find out paternity information (of relatives.  So, say, if I had a brother, etc.  which, generally, I"m all for, but adoptions are complicated shit) that they could out. 
    Use it to connect to civil (not criminal) lawsuits for distant relatives (I know I"m related to felons who deserve to be caught.  BUt I"m not sure I want to hand them info on my cousin's lawsuit).

GATTACA sci-fi IRL....even if laws protect it, hacks are inevitable.  ANd can you imagine the darkweb selling of 'hey, want to know who *famous person* shares some DNA with?"  I mean, the FTC issued warnings about selling to 3rd parties being a thing (w/o donor permission)

And you can change your SS# with a GREAT DEAL of effort and headache, but you can't change the DNA.  Once it's out, it's irreversible. 
    (^clearly a topic of interest to me)
    ----
    I'm still in migraine mode.  Every time meds wear off, I quit being able to sleep--I can only sleep if I don't take meds that make me sleepy.
    Which...I'm maxed out for meds this week anyhow, so I"m SOL.

The new puppy is adjusting well, and I'm ready for the week to be done and just chillax w/ her, but I"m back to work through the weekend, BOO.

• Options

Update:  I brought up last night with H that we've been too complacent with our own home and have been putting off projects we've wanted to do for too long.  I told him I wanted to start with repainting our front two rooms and then putting in the built-in bookshelf.  I thought it was going to need to be more of a "sell", because he'll be the one doing the majority of the work.  But he wholeheartedly agreed and thought it was a great idea!

We both spend the majority of our free time in those two rooms.  They are already great rooms with some wonderful architectural details.  But would really be show-stopping and our own private "retreat" with freshly painted walls and trim.  De-cluttered.  And the far accent wall comprised of built in shelves.  We're also planning to paint that accent wall a coordinating, but bolder color than the rest of the walls.  That accent wall is directly across from the front door, though about 25 feet of open space away.

My part will be to do some major de-cluttering now.  We need as little "stuff" in that room as possible.  It's already going to be a huge undertaking to move furniture around as we repair, prep, and paint walls.

Wedding Countdown Ticker