Honeymoon Discussions
Options

Guatemala Honeymoon

So my brother and my soon to be sister-in-law are moving to Guatemala this summer and in order to save money and still be able to go on a honeymoon and a trip to visit them without breaking the bank my fiance and I are thinking about planning our honeymoon in Guatemala. We plan to spend only 2 days visiting my brother and then 3 or 4 days by ourselves.

Does anyone have any suggestions of things to do in Guatemala that we can do for our honeymoon?

(If it helps my brother will be in Quetzaltenango)
Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: Guatemala Honeymoon

• Options
    hz80408hz80408 member
    5 Love Its First Comment Combo Breaker
    edited April 2011
    Go to Antigua!  I looked it up and it's about 55 miles from your brother.  It's a gorgeous brick lined town that was originally settled by the Spanish, so it's kind of has a European feel to it.  It's relatively cheap. I stayed at a 3-star hotel and it was equal to $10 USD/night (this about 2 years ago; and I wouldn't recommend that particular hotel).

If you don't mind physical activity, go to Pacaya, the volcano.  I think it's about an hour away...but you can ride donkeys up it or hike it.  It was amazing.  Free-flowing lava that we roasted marshmellows over. It was gorgeous.

This is one of my fav pics (actually you made me realize that i never posted my pics on FB, thanks for the reminder, lol):

My family is actually thinking of doing a 4-day trip there next year for fun.
  • Options
    emilyinchileemilyinchile member
    First Comment
    edited April 2011
    Ditto PP in looking into Antigua. I've been and think it would be a good spot for a romantic few days. I'd also look at Lake Atitlán. My mom used to live in Guatemala and had a lake house on Atitlán - I've only seen pictures, but it's gorgeous.
  • Options
    Awesome! My FI is from Guatemala and we're getting married there this summer. I would definitely recommend going to Guatemala for your honeymoon! It's a beautiful country and the people are unbelievably kind. Ditto PPs on Antigua, Pacaya, and Lake Atitlan. You guys could easily spend 2 says in Antigua and 2 days at Lake Atitlan on your way to or from Quetzaltenango. 

You can't miss Antigua. Lots of travel websites call it the most romantic city in the world and I can see why. It's gorgeous and like PP said relatively inexpensive to stay and eat there. There are coffee plantations (Filadelfia is one) that offer tours which is really neat. The local market is pretty cool and you can find all kinds of local products there. There are so many churches and ruins in the town - it's amazing. You can easily get to Pacaya from Antigua and it would only be a few hours out of the day. It's changed a lot since the eruption last year, but definitely still worth seeing!

Lake Atitlan is awesome. It's surrounded by volcanoes. We stayed there a few times and we always go out on the kayaks provided by most hotels. Last time we hired a guy to give up a private boat tour to different towns around the lake. 

Are you planning to go right after the wedding? Keep in mind that the rainy season lasts from May to November. I've always gone during the rainy season and it's still gorgeous. It doesn't rain all day. But some areas might be harder to access because a lot of the roads in the rural areas are unpaved.

I'd also recommend NOT spending any time in Guatemala City. If you don't know where you're going, it's very easy to end up in a bad area. You'll see enough of the city driving to and from the airport.

If you decide to go, you are welcome to PM me. I could give you a lot more detailed information on hotels and restaurants!
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    I love Guatemala! I lived there and did an internship last summer. It's a really awesome country.

Antigua is a great city and there is alot of fun stuff to do there. If you decide to go there you can PM me and I can give you more info on it. I've spent about 8 or 9 days in Antigua, so I can recommend restaurants and other things to do. Also I know of some great hotels there. You can also get to almost any other part of Guatemala from Antigua by taking a nice bus--not a chicken bus.

Lake Atitlán is absolutely beautiful. I've been there twice. The town Panajachel is a great place to stay there and you can take a ride across the lake on a boat and see some of the other towns. There is also a great place to go ziplining here. I think it takes about 3 hours to get there from Antigua.

A place that's supposed to be awesome is Tikal. I've never been there, but it's got alot of Mayan ruins & is supposed to be very pretty.

The beach is Guatemala is supposed to be cool--it has black sand. Also, Rio Dulce is a very pretty place.

Feel free to PM me with any questions about Guatemala! I'm hoping to go back there soon because I just love it so much and have some great friends there.
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_honeymoon_guatemala-honeymoon?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:11Discussion:251d4727-ba6e-4e2d-bde4-eddff5371daePost:29054211-2500-4943-8186-d6d851582c0e">Re: Guatemala Honeymoon</a>:
    [QUOTE]I Also, Rio Dulce is a very pretty place. Posted by BronwynH[/QUOTE]

I also stayed along Rio Dulce...it's gorgeous! 
  • Options
    Rio Dulce and Tikal are definitely worth visiting, but if you're going to be in Quetzaltenango and you only have 3 or 4 days it's not really reasonable to go there. Traveling in Guatemala is not like traveling in the US or Europe. You would have to spend almost all day driving to get to these places and I think it would be ashame to spend all of your time in the car. You could fly to Tikal I guess.

The beach is a great option though. The coast isn't far from Quetzaltenango at all. Easily a day trip!

If you can take the time off - stay a little bit longer! It's SO inexpensive.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    It would be a bit of a drive from where you're located, but you might think about spending a couple of days on the beach at Monterrico. It is the most beautiful place I have ever been in my life. The sky and ocean is gorgeous and there are some wonderful hotels. A popular one is called Johnny's Place, but there's a little one next to it called El Mangle. I have stayed at El Mangle and I absolutely loved it. It's pretty rustic, but it is stunningly beautiful.

http://www.sailing-diving-guatemala.com/hotels/mangle.php
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards