Catholic Weddings
Options

Old Testament Reading ideas

Hi Ladies-

This is my first post on the catholic board! I am not a confirmed catholic (I was baptized as a baby but never made communion or confirmation... my mom is catholic but my dad is jewish so we were kind of raised to learn about both and just be people of faith, not really "catholic" or "jewish").  Anyway!

I am marrying a catholic, into a very catholic family.  We're getting married in a church, but with no mass.  We're also excited to include a rabbi in the ceremony! Both the rabbi and deacon who are officiating have suggested that we pick our two readings from the Old Testament, as it is the Torah in judaism.  I'm having some problems finding readings we like, though!

Do any of you have suggestions for us?  Right now I'm leaning toward Sirach 26:1-4, 13-16 and Romans 12: 9-21... but would like to hear your thoughts!

Thanks ladies!

Re: Old Testament Reading ideas

• Options
    Theresa626Theresa626 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I know a lot of people pick a reading from the Song of Solomon though I don't particularly prefer it. 

Also, are you getting married in a Catholic church?  if so, I am shocked and pleasantly surprised that they are allowing you to use a rabbi and have only old testament readings.  This is very forward thinking of them. 
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Yep, we are! In fact, it's the same church that allowed my jewish uncle to be my godfather when I was baptized, because he agreed to continue to raise me catholic if he ever had to raise my in leiu of my parents.

Officially, the deacon is officiating and signing our marriage license, but the rabbi will participate in the ceremony and say a few blessings in hebrew.
  • Options
    edited December 2011

We did Isaiah 61:9 - 62:5 - I loved the terminology of the bridegroom and while it is normally read as a passage about Zionism, at the heart of Zionism is the flourishing of the Jewish people and family and I loved that point.

A reading from the prophet Isaiah

Their descendants shall be renowned among the nations, and their offspring among the peoples; All who see them shall acknowledge them as a race the LORD has blessed. I rejoice heartily in the LORD, in my God is the joy of my soul; For he has clothed me with a robe of salvation, and wrapped me in a mantle of justice, Like a bridegroom adorned with a diadem, like a bride bedecked with her jewels. As the earth brings forth its plants, and a garden makes its growth spring up, So will the Lord GOD make justice and praise spring up before all the nations.

For Zion's sake I will not be silent, for Jerusalem's sake I will not be quiet, Until her vindication shines forth like the dawn and her victory like a burning torch. Nations shall behold your vindication, and all kings your glory; You shall be called by a new name pronounced by the mouth of the LORD. You shall be a glorious crown in the hand of the LORD, a royal diadem held by your God. No more shall men call you "Forsaken," or your land "Desolate," But you shall be called "My Delight," and your land "Espoused." For the LORD delights in you, and makes your land his spouse. As a young man marries a virgin, your Builder shall marry you; And as a bridegroom rejoices in his bride so shall your God rejoice in you.

• Options
    edited December 2011
    We used Ecclesiastes 4:9-12.  It's not a typical wedding reading, although I've heard it used before, but I really liked the message of it and thought it was a really positive way to look at marriage.

http://www.biblica.com/bible/verse/index.php?q=Ecclesiastes+4%3A9-12&submit=Lookup&display_option=columns&tniv=yes
    imageimage
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    We're actually using Sirach 26:1-4, 13-16 because it includes something about both the bride and the groom.  Several of the readings we looked at spoke only about  the bride.  Since it's both of our day, we wanted to include both lol.  And it's a very beautiful passage.
    "This is the most extraordinary thing about motherhood - finding a piece of yourself separate and apart that all the same you could not live without." ? Jodi Picoult Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.weddings.com/Sites/Weddings/Pages/Main.aspx/cultural-wedding-boards_catholic-weddings_old-testament-reading-ideas?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Cultural Wedding BoardsForum:615Discussion:39132daf-6ec9-4a19-a868-cb74ca9bbf6aPost:a16048a5-24bb-4109-9525-e5c0be09bd87">Re: Old Testament Reading ideas</a>:
    [QUOTE]We used Ecclesiastes 4:9-12.  It's not a typical wedding reading, although I've heard it used before, but I really liked the message of it and thought it was a really positive way to look at marriage. <a href="http://www.biblica.com/bible/verse/index.php?q=Ecclesiastes+4%3A9-12&submit=Lookup&display_option=columns&tniv=yes" rel="nofollow">http://www.biblica.com/bible/verse/index.php?q=Ecclesiastes+4%3A9-12&submit=Lookup&display_option=columns&tniv=yes</a>
    Posted by kmm2150[/QUOTE]
    Thank you so much for posting that!  We were having such a hard time finding an old testament reading that spoke to us.  Love this one!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    We're also using Ecclesiastes 4:9-12 :)  We, too, had a difficult time finding an OT reading that really spoke to us.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards