Louisiana-New Orleans
Options

Hey Ladies...Gambinos or Flour Power...Royal Cakery FULLY BOOKED!!!:(

Hey ladies,

Royal cakery is fully booked(pout). I did a tasting with them and LOVED their cakes. But I guess i didn't get my deposit to them in time to lock my date. Oh well, everything happens for a reason. On to the next

So I called Flour Power and they'll get back to me. I called Gambino and thier cakes are crazy CHEAP... makes me wonder. Any recommendations based on experience?????  Flour Power or Gambino or any other bakeries

Thanks dolls!

Re: Hey Ladies...Gambinos or Flour Power...Royal Cakery FULLY BOOKED!!!:(

• Options
    burnsie36burnsie36 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Try Fancy Cakes or Sucre.  At Fancy Cakes, she was super sweet and she actually bakes you a 4" cake of your choice for the tasting.  We picked Red Velvet and was absolutely delicious.  She was fairly reasonable.  www.fancycakesneworleans.com

Sucre was great as well.  However, I think they are going to be a little pricey.  I am waiting for my proposal as we speak.  They use fondant, and I am not a big fan of it.  HOWEVER, their fondant was pretty good.  The vanilla cake with toasted almonds as the filling was so good, I really wanted to go back for seconds. 
    www.shopsucre.com

Good Luck!
  • Options
    louisianabluelouisianablue member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I think a lot of people have been happy with Haydels and Gambinos.  They are really inexpensive.

Maybe also check out Swiss Bakery?  I haven't tried any of these though.
  • Options
    wmh6wmh6 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I'm not familiar with Flour Power.  I have had Gambinos before, and their cakes are good.  We used Haydels for our wedding cake and groom's king cake.  Both were delicious.  There was a cake from Swiss at our caterer's tasting party, and I wasn't that impressed.  Sucre is awesome but definitely pricey!
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    If Haydel's weren't included in our venue, I'd have gone with Gambino's. Our family has bought cakes for years from both. Gambino's is very reasonably priced and their cakes are great. Don't let the price make you worry about how the cakes are going to be. Go in for a tasting and see for yourself. You won't regret it.
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers BabyFruit Ticker BabyFetus Ticker
  • Options
    Kate504Kate504 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I know flower power is good, but expensive.

I like swiss cakes we use them for all family functions.
    BFP #1 6/18/2012 // EDD 2/28/2013 // Birthdate 2/7/2013

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Daisypath Anniversary tickers

• Options
    hannahc7891hannahc7891 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    We're going with Flour Power.  We tasted at Swiss and were totally unimpressed.  Rhonda at Flour Power was great to work with, found ways to save us a little money, and we were blown away by the taste of their cakes.  They have some really fun, different flavors.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Flour Power was our bakery. Their cakes are incredible and Rhonda is AWESOME.  I loved both of our cakes and they were one of my favorite vendors to work with.  Swiss is gross. I hear horror stories on here all the time about their cakes coming out dry or "sour" (???) 

• Options
    sweetweet143sweetweet143 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I booked with Flour Power... Rhonda is great and is so friendly and great to work with. They offer 'faux cakes' to help out with the cost of the cake. AND their cakes taste amazing :) I did a tasting with Gambino's but I wasn't impressed. I also met with Swiss Confectionary and their cakes taste great too and are very affordable but I was a little worried about the design of their cakes because of the pics on their website (the cake designs seemed rushed or something)
  • Options
    bcannon2014bcannon2014 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Flower Power cakes look good and are really tasty! Sucre is really good too but I found them a bit too expensive!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I went with Haydel's.  I wasn't super impressed at the cake tasting, but once I tasted the cake on the wedding day...I could not stop eating it.  It was so moist and tasty!  I also got a red velvet groom's cake, which came out great as well.

I have had cakes from Gambino's for family functions, and they are alright, nothing great.  I have heard great things about Flour Power, but many bad things about Swiss.  I looked on Swiss's website, and found their cake designs to be sloppy.  I have also heard really good things about Maurice's and Sucre.  Sucre is a fairly new store around here and I have heard their stuff is pricey.  

Good luck :)
  • Options
    AvrilmaiAvrilmai member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    We did a tasting at Maurice, and it was fantastic. We actually went to Maurice, Haydel's and Royal Cakery on the same day. Maurice was by far my favorite. It was more than Haydel's, but less than Royal Cakery
    Image and video hosting by TinyPicWedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I tasted samples the other day....

Gambino's was okay. Their best was the silvered almond, which I loved, but that is a polarizing flavor in some cases (my FI hates that flavor).

Haydel's wouldn't get back to me, so I never got a sample from them. It doesn't exactly make me want to work with them, either.

Melissa's Fine Pastries made a pretty killer Tiramisu cake, but again, not exactly a common wedding cake flavor.

Good luck!
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    We did tastings at both and went w/ Flour Power.  Their cakes are amazing!
  • Options
    alonzojessalonzojess member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Sweet Life Bakery! Very very nice and their cake tastes great! their red velvet cake is so good! and she was so nice with us and patient and answered all of our questions. Im very excited about our cake for our wedding.

• Options
    themadplannerthemadplanner member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Flour Power, for sure.   That's who we went with and we tasted many bakeries.  Gambino's is fine for an every day cake or birthday cake, but their cakes aren't very special.  Flour Power is going to be more expensive, but worth it.
  • Options
    palrmtpalrmt member
    5 Love Its First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011

Flour Power is crazy expensive.  There website says that their prices start at 5.50 a slice and that crossed them off my list immediately. 

Did a tasting at Swiss and was not impressed at all.  There cakes are decent but the lady rubbed me the wrong way and I wasnt too fond of the designs.  She basically told me I needed to have a chocolate grooms cake because thats whats expected.  Problem - my FI isnt a chocolate fan.  So she crossed herself off my list. 

The Cocoa Bean Bakery in Hammond is really good and he will deliver to New Orleans. Did a tasting with him and his cakes blew me away. His talent is incredible and his cakes are gorgeous.  Never wanted to go to Hammond for cake but he is really accomodating. He usually sets up tastings during the week but we picked a date on a weekend and he had a bunch of different cakes with different fillings for us to try. He is a little more expensive than Swiss or Gambinos but not as much as Sucre or Flour Power

• Options
    hannahc7891hannahc7891 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011

We initially thought Flour Power was going to be way over budget too, but Rhonda suggested that we do three cakes instead of one - two regular round 8" cakes and one two tiered with an 8" layer and a 6" layer.  For the two smaller cakes, we're only paying their regular cake price.  The tiered cake is priced per slice because it's a "wedding cake", but by doing it this way, we're getting to have three different flavors (which is good because they were all so tasty we couldn't pick just one) and saving about $150.  Something to think about. 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards