Wedding Woes

Step 1: tell your spouse, Step 2: get a pregnancy test and doctor's appt.

Dear Prudence,

While my wife of eight years was traveling out of the country, my 14-year-old stepdaughter, with whom I have a close and trusting relationship, told me she had unprotected sex with a boy her age and is worried she might get pregnant. I was honestly shocked. She is definitely not mature enough either physically or mentally to be having sex, but I tried to keep calm and not chastise her, which would only lead to her clamming up. I am really at a loss about what to do here. She made me promise I wouldn’t tell her mom. I’m afraid that if I do, my stepdaughter would hate me and never be able to freely talk about it with either of us. We are quite open about sexual education at home, in the sense that we’ve always tried to tell it like it is and give her as much information as we could so that, when the time comes, she would be better prepared, know the boundaries of consent, and not be afraid to talk to us.

Of course, upon her confession, I reminded her about all the dangers associated with sex, especially at such a young age, and I tried to calm her down as she grew more distressed by telling her that we would love her and be by her side no matter what, even if I was quite disappointed by her behavior. Now the question is: Should I tell her mom about all of this, and if so, how should I approach the subject? I feel it’s such an important event that her mom should definitely be involved. I have tried to persuade my stepdaughter to talk to her directly, to no avail. On the other side, I do not want to break the girl’s trust in me, as it could backfire in the future. I can’t sleep at night because of this. I am concerned for her mental and physical well-being. I really think her mother should be involved, but how?

—Sexually Active Teenager

Re: Step 1: tell your spouse, Step 2: get a pregnancy test and doctor's appt.

• mrsconn23 said:

Dear Prudence,

While my wife of eight years was traveling out of the country, my 14-year-old stepdaughter, with whom I have a close and trusting relationship, told me she had unprotected sex with a boy her age and is worried she might get pregnant. I was honestly shocked. She is definitely not mature enough either physically or mentally to be having sex, but I tried to keep calm and not chastise her, which would only lead to her clamming up. I am really at a loss about what to do here. She made me promise I wouldn’t tell her mom. I’m afraid that if I do, my stepdaughter would hate me and never be able to freely talk about it with either of us. We are quite open about sexual education at home, in the sense that we’ve always tried to tell it like it is and give her as much information as we could so that, when the time comes, she would be better prepared, know the boundaries of consent, and not be afraid to talk to us.

Of course, upon her confession, I reminded her about all the dangers associated with sex, especially at such a young age, and I tried to calm her down as she grew more distressed by telling her that we would love her and be by her side no matter what, even if I was quite disappointed by her behavior. Now the question is: Should I tell her mom about all of this, and if so, how should I approach the subject? I feel it’s such an important event that her mom should definitely be involved. I have tried to persuade my stepdaughter to talk to her directly, to no avail. On the other side, I do not want to break the girl’s trust in me, as it could backfire in the future. I can’t sleep at night because of this. I am concerned for her mental and physical well-being. I really think her mother should be involved, but how?

—Sexually Active Teenager

I think of this like a mandated reporter. You needed to say, off the bat, that "I am going to have to tell someone (your mom) this." Should never have made that promise.

However, I think you can still say to her, "I need to tell your mom so that we can both help you." Then give her the choice between participating in that conversation or not.
    That's also a great idea. 
  • Honestly, even if it wasn't a step-daughter, I would suggest telling the mother. This way - like a few mentioned - both people can be there.

Kudos to the teen for telling stepdad. I'm sure it wasn't an easy conversation, and it's good to know that she felt comfortable telling him.

Likely the mother will be the one to go with, but a dr's appt needs to happen. Talk about birth control, sexual health, etc. Even if they've had the talk and kid has heard it from school - it's a whole new ball game when it's from a dr
  • First, LW should have gotten Plan B for stepdaughter, if she told him within 48 hours.  I believe he would be allowed to purchase it for her.  Then he needs to tell her that this is one secret he cannot keep from her mom.  That she needs to tell mom by X date or he will.  He can offer to be there with SD during the conversation with mom or leave it to her.  Then move onto making a doctor's appointment where SD can have a conversation with the daughter and an exam.  

Kudos to LW for having such an open relationship with SD that she came to him with this.
  • The girl's health takes priority over keeping a secret. The stepdad should explain to stepdaughter that he can't keep this from her Mom. It is for her own health and safety that they talk about this as a family. I had a somewhat similar instance happen when DD told me a girl at school had been raped but swore DD to secrecy. I told her I had to report it to the school counselor because this was a crime. She really didn't want me to do so, but I kept explaining I had to which I did. I didn't know the girl myself so I wanted to tell someone who did know her. The counselor took it from there.  
  • Ask your stepdaughter why she is afraid to tell her Mom. Response honestly and genuinely to her fears. Yes, her mother needs to know but trying to force her to tell, or giving her an ultimatum is going to be worse. Talk to her about how her mother can support her. Talk to her about how much you both love her. 

She’s scared. She doesn’t know what is going to happen. Help to give her back some control and stability by helping her make decisions. She’s going to have a lot more to make (terminate or carry to term, adoption or raise the child) and she needs calm, supportive parents to help her. 
    I agree with ALL of this and I would hope that LW could help SD come around to telling their wife, however if SD clams up and/or is resistant to telling her mom even after LW tries to work through her concerns/reservations...LW needs to still tell their wife.   Like @STARMOON44 said, she IS a child.  And also, while LW is a guardian of SD, LW is not a biological or adoptive parent to this child and may not be able to make health decisions legally. 

You cannot let a child triangulate your relationship and pull you away from your spouse.  This is shit that implodes a relationship.  Time to tell the truth is ticking away.   

Also, I read this LW as a woman married to a woman that had a child from a previous relationship. 

• mrsconn23 said:
    Ask your stepdaughter why she is afraid to tell her Mom. Response honestly and genuinely to her fears. Yes, her mother needs to know but trying to force her to tell, or giving her an ultimatum is going to be worse. Talk to her about how her mother can support her. Talk to her about how much you both love her. 

She’s scared. She doesn’t know what is going to happen. Help to give her back some control and stability by helping her make decisions. She’s going to have a lot more to make (terminate or carry to term, adoption or raise the child) and she needs calm, supportive parents to help her. 
    I agree with ALL of this and I would hope that LW could help SD come around to telling their wife, however if SD clams up and/or is resistant to telling her mom even after LW tries to work through her concerns/reservations...LW needs to still tell their wife.   Like @STARMOON44 said, she IS a child.  And also, while LW is a guardian of SD, LW is not a biological or adoptive parent to this child and may not be able to make health decisions legally. 

You cannot let a child triangulate your relationship and pull you away from your spouse.  This is shit that implodes a relationship.  Time to tell the truth is ticking away.   

Also, I read this LW as a woman married to a woman that had a child from a previous relationship. 

I re-read it and tbh .... I'm really seeing that view point. My brain went automatically to LW being a stepdad. But your way makes more sense of why stepdaughter would feel comfortable telling LW
  • I went back and forth regarding whether this was a same sex couple or not but I also agree that the minor child cannot be what drives a wedge and creates secrets in a marriage unless there are serious extenuating circumstances.   If there are no reasons that the child's safety could be in jeopardy with her mother being aware then the step parent has an obligation to the wife to tell her.  
  • mrsconn23 said:
    Ask your stepdaughter why she is afraid to tell her Mom. Response honestly and genuinely to her fears. Yes, her mother needs to know but trying to force her to tell, or giving her an ultimatum is going to be worse. Talk to her about how her mother can support her. Talk to her about how much you both love her. 

This is how I interpreted too.  I’m becoming more aware of not placing LW’s in a gender bucker as I read these Prudie letters (when they're not specified).  I’m trying to write LW instead if him or her.