Wedding Woes

It's hard, but stop calling him and set boundaries with the last min requests.

Dear Prudence,

Our son married a woman who is a firm believer in boundaries. Just hers though. We were barely consulted for the wedding but expected to pull out the checkbook. They moved near her family, and we were only allowed to visit twice a year and forced to stay in a motel (she was “uncomfortable” having us in her home overnight). After their twins were born, no one in our family was allowed to visit for two months, but her family was there at the hospital. Trying to have an honest discussion is useless. Our daughter-in-law will stand up and tell us we need “to respect my family’s boundaries or you will not see us,” and leave. Our son apologizes but tells us his wife comes first. Then the silent treatment comes until they need something, usually expecting us to babysit at a moment’s notice.

Our daughter has given up on her brother. She had a small child-free wedding last year. Our daughter-in-law was “insulted” her twins were not part of the ceremony and refused to attend, even though we offered to find a babysitter. Our son declined to come at all. All this breaks our hearts. We love our grandchildren and our son, but having them dangled in front of us and dragged away hurts.  The last straw was our son telling us we were calling him (and him alone) “excessively” and “we” didn’t think this was healthy. Now we are forbidden to call and must wait for when our son and daughter-in-law decide they want to. My wife and I don’t know what to do. Help.

—Not Our Boundaries

Re: It's hard, but stop calling him and set boundaries with the last min requests.

• I do not think you are respecting your son’s boundaries and you need to start by doing that. 
  • I need way more information but broadly- they’re (and just your DIL, but both of them) being clear with what they want now and you have to decide if you want contact on those terms or no contact at all because it doesn’t sound like this is up for discussion. 
  • I'm not saying the son/DIL are in the right, but there is definitely some wrong with the LW and her H, even based on her own words.

One thing that especially struck me is two very contradictory statements in the first paragraph:

1) The son/DIL moved near her family.  Far enough away that the LW needs to stay at a motel when they visit.

2)  If statement #1 is true, then how is the LW asked to babysit at a moment's notice?
    I am curious as to what length of time is a moment? 

There's a lot of adversarial behavior happening here and I question what is reality.
  • LW's DIL read DWIL Nation. 
  • I'm not saying the son/DIL are in the right, but there is definitely some wrong with the LW and her H, even based on her own words.

One thing that especially struck me is two very contradictory statements in the first paragraph:

1) The son/DIL moved near her family.  Far enough away that the LW needs to stay at a motel when they visit.

2)  If statement #1 is true, then how is the LW asked to babysit at a moment's notice?
    That stood out to me too. 

I think everyone kind of sucks in this one, honestly, though I wouldn't mind having more information. Either way, LW needs to accept that these are the limits her son and DIL have set, but if she really is being asked to babysit at the last minute, she needs to set the boundary that they are not allowed to do that while shutting her out the rest of the time.