Wedding Woes

Don't go. And maybe find a new therapist.

Dear Prudence,

Like most corporate workers, I get two weeks of vacation a year. Pre-pandemic, I usually spent at least seven days visiting my divorced parents, who live in the same state about six hours away from each other on the other side of the country. This means spending about three days with one parent and driving to the other for the remaining three. I don’t enjoy these visits. They feel rushed, I don’t have much in common with my parents or feel much of a connection with them, and no matter how I divide my time during these visits, someone is upset that I didn’t do it “fairly.”

My parents had a nasty divorce when I was a teenager and were both cruel to me in different ways afterward. I’ve been in therapy over this, but it hasn’t really helped my feelings much. More and more, I am stressed out by the prospects of these visits. I resent having to waste my precious vacation time on this, when I’d really rather be having a fantastic introverted staycation and working on some creative projects or traveling somewhere exciting with my partner. When I return from visiting them, I don’t feel refreshed. Then I get caught in a shame spiral for feeling guilty about not wanting to visit my parents. I am an only child and chose to move to the other side of the country, so I am the reason I need to use vacation time to see them. In the past they’ve visited me here where I live, but that hasn’t worked out too well either. What should I do?

—Guilty Daughter

Re: Don't go. And maybe find a new therapist.

• Plan your introvert dream weekend somewhere relaxing and stop feeling guilty. If these visits stress you out, don’t go! I’m not saying don’t ever see the parents but sounds like setting boundaries with them is going to take some work. In the meantime enjoy your ability to travel somewhere and relax. 
  • Take a break from going this year and do something more rewarding with your vacation time. Find a new and more helpful therapist to assist you in deciding to how to deal with/visit your parents going forward.

Might calling or video chatting with them with some regularity (up to you how often that would be) during the year, which would obviously be for much shorter periods of time than a full-fledged visit, help you feel less guilty and make you feel less obligated to go for these visits?
  • Don't go.  And also find a better therapist. 

I'm also getting an impression based on the phrasing and time off that the LW is probably not in a cohabitating relationship and possibly in their 20s (as if you do stay in some places after a period of a few years you get more vacation time).   Based on this I'm thinking that there's going to be a need for LW to start asserting themselves to their parents and when the next visit will be.  

Over time, this may start to change a bit especially if the LW's partner and they continue a relationship and want to vacation together.     

I watched this with BIL who originally went away to college - a 12 hour drive from my ILs.  He's now lived out of this state longer than he lived in it and has to time visits.  Both he and my MIL can have a toxicity to a visit at times (or zero toxicity depending on the visit) and now the visits he makes are based on his availability and the kids availability.  MIL doesn't always like the reality of life but I guarantee you that BIL would rather hang up on a phone call than have to retreat on his vacation to a bedroom to escape the nagging. 
  • Stop going and drop the guilt. 

Also, time for a chat with your employer. Admittedly vacation is shit in the US, but 2 weeks is quite low for a corporate job. Unless you just started, you should look at negotiating for at least 3 weeks. 
  • I agree the amount of vacation time seems low if LW's been there longer than a couple years.  My opinion on vacation time is entirely skewed though because I'm in the leisure industry and my company is very generous with time off.  

Someone (a better therapist maybe??) needs to tell LW it's OK to not like their parents and/or want to spend time with them.  LW either doesn't know how to reconcile their feelings or they're not being validated appropriately.  Because any good therapist would be helping LW work through this and validating them in standing up for themselves and their time.  
  • This seems like a drop the rope situation. Let them figure out how to visit you if they would like. LW said they tried it and it wasn't good but neither is the current situation. Maybe this way LW could have a relaxing holiday instead.
  • "Mom/Dad, I spend precious time visiting you, and you make me feel guilty that I didn't divide my time fairly between you and your ex.  That ex is still my parent, and I am allowed to visit them with or without your blessing.  How I spend my time is my business, and doesn't concern you.  Until you can behave in a way that is respectful and healthy to me, I won't be visiting you anymore."  

Say to both if they are both playing the guilt game.  And distance yourself - parents sound like they are still trying to keep their children in the middle.  

• Don't go. And don't feel guilty. It's okay to put some boundaries between yourself and parents who make you feel unwelcome.
  • I hear you, LW, and I'm on board!  Less frequent visits.  There is no reason to feel obligated to spend a week of your vacation time and your money, every year, on doing these trips you don't enjoy.  I'm not saying never visit them again.  Just that it doesn't have to be this annual trek.

I only visit my family every few years.  And I love them and get along with them just fine, though we aren't especially close.  I enjoy visiting them.  I'd just rather go other places then go back home every year.  I used to feel guiltier and sometimes I still do.  But then I remind myself that my sister has only come out to visit me once and that was over 20 years ago.  My mom/stepdad have come out a few times, but the last time was over 10 years ago.  So, it's not like they make any effort to see me either.  
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • MesmrEweMesmrEwe member
    First Answer First Comment 5 Love Its Name Dropper
    edited June 2021
    1) New Therapist...
    2) Skip visiting them this year, or if you go, fly in Friday, fly home Monday of a 3/4-day weekend instead of using vacation time two different trips one to each location (MLK and President's Day wknd so no "you were at their place for Christmas" stuff)..  
    3) Book a vacation to someplace your SO wants to go..
    4) Book a stay-cation and shut off the gosh darn phone!