Wedding Woes
Options

Quit hand-wringing and decide if you're going to drop out.

Dear Prudence,

I agreed to be a bridesmaid in a friend’s wedding. When she first asked me, it sounded like your standard wedding plan, so I agreed. But the big day is in about a month, and the bride has changed everything so many times I can’t count. The bachelorette party has turned into a very, very, expensive bachelorette weekend. She wants us all to wear matching, expensive shoes. She decided just yesterday that she wants us all to buy and wear expensive jewelry.

It’s just gotten out of control, and I’m pushing up against my budget. I tried to tell her this right after she changed the bachelorette party and told us she was thinking about the shoes. I was hoping she’d give me an out, but she just said she’d try to make everything as cheap as possible.

I was talking to a friend online when our bridal party message popped up about the jewelry. I was typing to my friend about the jewelry when I sent a message that said “This wedding is getting out of control, I should have bowed out of the wedding a couple months ago, but now it’s too late.” I accidentally sent this to the bridal party chat. The bride has oddly not reacted. She hasn’t said whether she wants me in the wedding or not, but I have a feeling she doesn’t want to kick me out now. I feel terrible that I put this in the chat, and I don’t want to ruin her big day, but this is a huge financial issue for me. A part of me is worried she’s going to have me jump through all the hoops, pay for everything, and then decide right before the wedding that I’m not in it. Should I bow out?

—Thoughtless Messaging

Re: Quit hand-wringing and decide if you're going to drop out.

• Options
    This is unfortunate for the LW, sending to the wrong chat… been there, done that.  But you need to have a convo with the bride and bride only.  I’m sure you’re not the only BM in this situation and maybe the bride doesn’t even realize this is hard on everyone?  Use tour words is all I’m saying.

• Options
    I would bow out because I wouldn't spend money I can't afford to spend. Tell her graciously that you are honored to have been asked but in hindsight you can't afford everything and would be happy being a guest. Your friend is totally out of line. If she is insisting on specific jewelry she should buy it ditto with the shoes. Also, you don't have to attend bachelorette parties and if she is insisting on that she is in the wrong once again. 
  • Options
    LW, no one is spending your money for you.  If you're not able to buy the suggested accessories or make it to a party, it's OK.  It's an invite, not a summons.  If you really can't afford to be in the wedding doing the bare minimum, then bow out of the party and suggest you just come as a guest.  

Also IDK who needs to hear this (not most of y'all, I know), but literally no one cares if the BM's in a wedding party are matchy-matchy.  It won't ruin your day or your pics.  Just let your people dress and accessorize themselves in a way that they see fit.  You *can* find reasonable BM dresses that come in the same color and several styles and that's OK, but beyond that...trust your friends to know how to get gussied up for your wedding day.  And if you really want someone to be in your wedding and they're having issues meeting that 'goal', offer to help them in any way you can. The memory of having them there with you will be priceless. 
  • Options
    Stop being passive aggressive and put on your big girl pants. "Your expectations are ridiculous; I'm not paying that." 

I kind of wonder if this was accidentally on purpose because LW hoped one of the other bridesmaids would do her dirty work for her. 
  • Options
    It's letters like these, plus so many posts right here on TK, that make me wonder if I'm just "meaner" than most people, lol?

It's not hard for me to say "no", though I'm nice about it, which makes it difficult for me to understand and relate to these types of problems.  So I always feel a little out of my depth in how to give advice.  I consider the other POV.  I suggest other things/compromise.  But when my answer is "no", it's "no".  I also get to a point, though usually not soon enough, where I'm not discussing it anymore either and will say that also.

The LW should speak one on one with the bride.  Not a text message.  A phone call or visit.  She should apologize for the accidental message that went out, but also let the bride know that the expenses have become too much and she is not going to do them.  I'd say something like, "Look.  I'm not buying special jewelry or shoes for my BM outfit.  I will wear my own shoes/jewelry.  Also, as much as I'd like to go to the bachelorette party, it's become too expensive and I can no longer attend.  If you are okay with all of that, great.  But if you prefer I step down, I will."

The only caveat I would say about the bachelorette party is the LW should still honor any "sunk cost" expenses that can't be recovered.  Like if the hotel has already been booked and they already agreed to pay $50/night for their portion of the rooms.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    It's letters like these, plus so many posts right here on TK, that make me wonder if I'm just "meaner" than most people, lol?

I think some portion of this might be an age thing. I'm like you, I don't really have a problem telling people no about stuff like this, but I did in my early 20s. 

I wonder if so many bridesmaids being very young adults without a lot of life experience has a little to do with why they don't know how to shut this crap down. 
  • Options

I think some portion of this might be an age thing. I'm like you, I don't really have a problem telling people no about stuff like this, but I did in my early 20s. 

I wonder if so many bridesmaids being very young adults without a lot of life experience has a little to do with why they don't know how to shut this crap down. 
    That makes sense and is probably a part of it.  With experience comes wisdom and confidence.  Or at least one hopes it does, lol.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    LW - stand by your words and start putting boundaries on your wallet!
  • Options
    If it's outside your budget, it's okay to say so: "Unfortunately, this is outside my budget." And keep repeating that as often as you need to.