Military Brides

Valentine's Day

So with all of the engagement excitement and rush wedding planning, I completely spaced out and forgot about Valentine's Day :| I'm in the process of getting everything together to send out to my fiancée even though I know it'll be late. I know I'm sending him a framed photograph of us from out first date and I want to send him "love" coupons that I made myself.  I figured I could laminate them (we have a home lamination thing)  and then whenever he hands one in to use, it becomes mine and I can give it back whenever I want. Sort of like an ongoing gift for the two of us. So, here's the question: I've already googled some good ideas for the coupons such as a 30 minute back massage, a 24-Hour no arguments coupon, complete control of the remote for a whole day, etc. but does anybody have any other cute ideas for redeemable coupons? I was also wondering if anybody's heard of the cake in a jar thing. Do you know if the idea of sealing it inside a mason jar would also work for cookies instead of a cake? Thanks for any help!

Re: Valentine's Day

• edited December 2011
    Hmm how about breakfast in bed, he gets to pick the movie when you go out, dinner for two on you...hmm

I've never heard of cake in a joar! But that sounds cool!
  • misskaylaxmisskaylax member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Thanks for the suggestions! :]

My aunt told me its what she did for my cousin while he was deployed. You mix up the cake batter and then bake it in a whole bunch of mason jars and then seal them shut. It keeps them fresh for when they arrive overseas and then you send frosting and sprinkles and plastic silverware and what not along with it. It's an adorable idea but my SO hates cake like you wouldn't believe so I wanted to try cookies. I'm just not sure if the concept of just putting them inside the jar and then sealing it would actually work or not :/
  • edited December 2011
    If you bake cookies and put them in a container with fresh pieces of bread on the bottom, it keeps the cookies soft ... you could bake and pack them and in two weeks they are still moist and taste like they were just out of the oven.
    I would pack them tight in the container (no air above the cookies) otherwise during shipping they bounce around and crumble. FI still loved the crumbles though.

HTH
  • edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_military-brides_valentines-day?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special Topic Wedding BoardsForum:13Discussion:068d7caa-a939-4186-a575-f001eba66fc8Post:cde7a436-4510-42f8-8607-667a8d45773d">Re: Valentine's Day</a>:
    [QUOTE]If you bake cookies and put them in a container with fresh pieces of bread on the bottom, it keeps the cookies soft ... you could bake and pack them and in two weeks they are still moist and taste like they were just out of the oven. I would pack them tight in the container (no air above the cookies) otherwise during shipping they bounce around and crumble. FI still loved the crumbles though. HTH
    Posted by shan87[/QUOTE]

That sounds like a great idea. I have been sending cookies for the past three deployments and have yet to figure something that works. I will try that next time.

As for what I send my man, he is a true county boy, I send jerky from a small meat shop that has a bunch of different types. If he is in the Navy, if he is going across the equator for the first time and getting his "shell back" I made him a turtle build a bear. Even if he isn't, my fiance' actually loved his build-a-bear....(and no we aren't teenagers).
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards