Wedding Vows & Ceremony Discussions
Options

Church doesn't allow flower petals on the aisle...

My fiance's church doesn't allow flower girls to drop flower petals as they walk down the aisle (they think it's a falling hazard or something). Any ideas for what they could do instead? I was thinking maybe they could ring little bells or something. Thanks!

Re: Church doesn't allow flower petals on the aisle...

• Options
    Can they just carry pomander balls or something? I would think that music is already going to be playing them down the aisle, so you won't hear bells. 
  • Options
    It's not the tripping or falling issue for churches.  I work in a church that doesn't allow "tossed" stuff either.  Real petals stain the carpets, and fake ones are an enormous PITA to clean up.

I've played at scores of weddings that don't have anything dropped or tossed, and they're beautiful.  The tiny tot FGs just walk down the aisle with their flowers, or pomanders, or baskets, or teddy bears, or whatever they're holding.

I also wouldn't use bells as it will definitely impact the music you're having played as you walk down the aisle.  Have the little one walk down, and it's another thing you can cross off your to-do list.

Good Luck.
    "Trix, it's what they/our parents wanted. Why so judgemental? And why is your wedding date over a year and a half ago? And why do you not have a groom's name? And why have you posted over 12,000 posts? And why do you always say mean things to brides?" palegirl146
  • Options
      That's a good point about the bells interfering with the music. I just know the little ones will be disappointed that they can't throw the petals (since they think that's the whole point of being a flower girl!) so I wanted to give them something else to do instead. 
  • Options
    Riss91Riss91 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper First Comment
    When I was a flower girl, we carried baskets with flowers in them. If you are going somewhere to take pictures, you could give them some petals to throw there - would be a cute photo op of them tossing them in the air!
  • Options
    Riss91's idea is really cute! I love it.!
    And, the idea of having them carry little bouquets or pomanders is good too. Our church also won't allow petals to be dropped on the aisle, which is fine. I think it's cheesy anyway.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Wedding Countdown Ticker < br > Planning Bio
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_ceremony-ideas_church-doesnt-allow-flower-petals-aisle?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:10Discussion:e4861b96-344e-4751-bbb0-66c1d31cf7faPost:50a93a48-e968-4ef0-9120-c6b7635f6560">Church doesn't allow flower petals on the aisle...</a>:
    [QUOTE]   My fiance's church doesn't allow flower girls to drop flower petals as they walk down the aisle (they think it's a falling hazard or something). 
    Posted by Jenn12141983[/QUOTE]

<div>Good!  It is a tripping hazard.  At one wedding, we had to take people to the hospital for skidding on flower petals.   The flower girls are there to look cute.  Pomanders or bouquets work just fine. </div>
  • Options
    our church has the same rules.  our flower girls are holding baskets wtih red roses, and handing one to each person sitting on the corner seat.  kind of a cute idea, it was an idea from our florist, so were going with it. good luck!
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_ceremony-ideas_church-doesnt-allow-flower-petals-aisle?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:10Discussion:e4861b96-344e-4751-bbb0-66c1d31cf7faPost:9af367b3-239c-4523-beb7-191db510e44e">Re: Church doesn't allow flower petals on the aisle...</a>:
    [QUOTE] our flower girls are holding baskets wtih red roses, and handing one to each person sitting on the corner seat. 
    Posted by bride2beLC[/QUOTE]

CUTE!!!
  • Options
    Tell them that they get to throw "magic, invisible Pixie dust" (???) 

Sorry. I am no help because I don't have FGs. 
  • Options
    Just have them carry the flowers or pomanders, there's nothing that says being a flower girl means actually tossing flowers. She can carry flowers and look cute.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Bio!
    Blog
    my to-read shelf:
    Audrey's book recommendations, favorite quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (to-read shelf)
  • Options
    Hahaha, I love the pixie dust idea! ;-)

While our church does allow flower petals, we actually punched out hearts out of old sheet music and bent them a little bit to look like flower petals.  It's going to look really cute.

But I also second the idea of pomanders or carrying a basket of flowers.

Another idea I saw was on etsy once.  It's a sign that says here comes the bride and she carries that down the aisle before the bride.  I think it's adorable.  You could make your sign however you wanted it to...it wouldn't have to be this rustic!

2012 Reading Challenge

2012 Reading Challenge
    Erin has read 1 book toward her goal of 25 books.
    hide
    Follow Me on Pinterest Married Bio and For Sale! Updated 12/23
    "And now you stand before me today, and with all my heart I say, that you are God's miracle to me." June 18th, 2011
  • Options
    My two flower girls are carrying flower wands...a long stiff stem wrapped in ribbon with a cluster of hydrangea on the end and ribbon hanging off it.  So cute and they are so excited about them. 
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    my church does not allow that either.  i am just having my girls carry flowers in the baskets and that is about it
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    NOT bells. Can you imagine how the rest of your ceremony will go? No one will hear a thing if there are little kids with bells. haha. I think flower pomanders are really cute!
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_ceremony-ideas_church-doesnt-allow-flower-petals-aisle?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:10Discussion:e4861b96-344e-4751-bbb0-66c1d31cf7faPost:92cd8621-798e-4299-92a8-b38133165e22">Re: Church doesn't allow flower petals on the aisle...</a>:
    [QUOTE]Hahaha, I love the pixie dust idea! ;-) While our church does allow flower petals, we actually punched out hearts out of old sheet music and bent them a little bit to look like flower petals.  It's going to look really cute. But I also second the idea of pomanders or carrying a basket of flowers. <strong>Another idea I saw was on etsy once.  It's a sign that says here comes the bride and she carries that down the aisle before the bride.  I think it's adorable.  You could make your sign however you wanted it to...it wouldn't have to be this rustic!</strong>
    Posted by twixinthemix[/QUOTE]

This is ADORABLE!!!
    ~Forget or life is yours to miss~ Johnathan Larson - RENT Daisypath Anniversary tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards