Not Engaged Yet
Options

I'm annoyed and want to talk about cookies.

Well the title pretty much explains it.  I'm annoyed, just in general.  I have homework I don't want to do, I'm PMSing and a bunch of other life stuff.

Every year the women in my family engage in a cookie baking extravaganza the Friday, Saturday and Sunday after Thanksgiving.  We've done it for about seven years and it's become a tradition.  Our record was 38 different kinds of cookies.  We make enough cookies for something like 30 trays to be given away to family, friends, the local fire and police stations, etc.

Anywho, we're always looking for new ideas/recipes.  So, do any of you know of any delicious and unusual cookies?  Do you have links for any scrumptious cookie recipes?  Even if all you know is the name I'd be more than willing to do some googling of my own. 

TIA

Re: I'm annoyed and want to talk about cookies.

• Options
    csousa1csousa1 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011
    a friend of mine told me she made pumpkin chocolate chip cookies last year and they were to DIE for - I have been planning on looking up a recipe and trying it myself, so that could be a good one - I will repost later with a recipe if I can find a good one :)
  • Options
    AudgiePodgeAudgiePodge member
    5 Love Its First Anniversary First Comment Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011
    I'm not imputing anything helpful, i just want to say: That's a lot 'o cookies.
    I'm not good at feelings.

• Options
    edited December 2011
    http://www.thenest.com/Recipes/13898/detailview.aspx?id=13898&type=7&recipe_type=Dessert&pageIndex=7

These Macadamia Brittle Cookies are sooooo good! They're kind of like a shortbread. I just dipped them in dark chocolate (skipped the white chocolate) and they turned out great. Just make sure the cookies are completely cool before dipping or they will crumble. I got so many complements - everyone wanted a copy of the recipe to take home.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    http://www.oceanspray.com/planit/recipes/cookies_candies/oatmeal_cran_cookies.html

These are one of my all time favorite cookies: white chocolate chip cranberry. Mmmm
    Married! :) 5/19/12 The Domesticals

• Options
    coastiegrl25coastiegrl25 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Thanks. Now I want cookies. And now I'm annoyed because I have no cookies. 
    When is my wedding
  • Options
    Wrkn925Wrkn925 member
    5 Love Its First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Not cookies, but my favorite super EASY recipe for candy/fudge knock-off.

-melt one package of almond bark in stove
    Mix in:
    -1 cup peanut butter
    -1 cup (or so)
         rice crispies cereal
         mini marshmallows
         pretzal sticks broken in half
    1- of those tube packages of salted peanuts

Stir, pour in wax paper lined pyrex dish.  Let set overnight, cut up and enjoy!
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_not-engaged-yet_im-annoyed-want-talk-cookies?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:136Discussion:fbf02092-b5eb-4b04-90bc-377da0b86253Post:3b79f6f3-30c4-433a-8ee6-5f44b1c08297">Re: I'm annoyed and want to talk about cookies.</a>:
    [QUOTE]Thanks. Now I want cookies. And now I'm annoyed because I have no cookies. 
    Posted by coastiegrl25[/QUOTE]

I'll give you one of my store bought cookies. :)

• Options
    PaigeMcCPaigeMcC member
    Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    mmm...cookies

"Popular on the internetz..."

Canada is kind of like a whole other world with new things to discover that us americans only dream of. - Narwhal
    Paige I would like to profess my love for you and your brilliant mind. - breezerb
    Murried Bio
  • Options
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_not-engaged-yet_im-annoyed-want-talk-cookies?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:136Discussion:fbf02092-b5eb-4b04-90bc-377da0b86253Post:ee0a7da6-f028-4b3b-a7fe-341ccee18872">Re: I'm annoyed and want to talk about cookies.</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: I'm annoyed and want to talk about cookies. : I'll give you one of my store bought cookies. :)
    Posted by AudgiePodge[/QUOTE]

Well, I guess that'll have to do. Do they have the lil M&M's?? Cuz that would be spectacular.
    When is my wedding
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_not-engaged-yet_im-annoyed-want-talk-cookies?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:136Discussion:fbf02092-b5eb-4b04-90bc-377da0b86253Post:1fa8a628-5892-42e5-a55c-b61067fefa90">Re: I'm annoyed and want to talk about cookies.</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: I'm annoyed and want to talk about cookies. : Well, I guess that'll have to do. Do they have the lil M&M's?? Cuz that would be spectacular.
    Posted by coastiegrl25[/QUOTE]

No :/ Just big ol' honkin chocolate chips.

• Options
    motoLynmotoLyn member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011
    Fudge crinkles, I want to try this recipe if you get to it before me tell me how it pans out!

http://www.onceuponachef.com/2010/09/chocolate-fudge-crinkles.html
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Butterscotch Oatmeal
    1 cup butter/margarine
    3/4 cup brown sugar
    3/4 cup granulated sugar
    1 sm package butterscotch pudding mix (actually the recipe calls for vanilla but the butterscotch adds a better flavor imo)
    2 eggs
    1 tsp vanilla
    1 tsp baking soda
    1 1/4 cup flour
    3 1/2 cups oatmeal
    raisins, craisins (nice holiday touch), chocolate chips and/or nuts to taste (my family all likes different additions so I divide the dough and add to taste - for a whole batch I would add 1 1/2-2 cups) - they are also yummy plain.

Blend first 4 ingredients - add eggs, one at a time, and mix well after each. Mix in vanilla. Combine baking soda and flour - blend into sugar/egg mixture a small amount at a time. Add oatmeal and mix well. Mix in additions of your choice. Bake at 375 for 8-11 minutes...the bottom edges will be golden brown but top may appear a undone....let rest for a minute or two and move to cooling rack. (Of course the baking instructions are useless because you can easily consume the entire batch of dough because it is SO yummy)

Sandi Gram's Sugar Cookies

2 cups of sugar
    2 sticks of margarine (1 cup)
    2 eggs
    1 cup sour cream
    1 tsp vanilla
    1 level tsp baking soda
    1 level tsp of baking powder
    4 cups of flour

Mix it all together and drop about a tablespoon full on the cookie sheet. Sprinkle with sugar and bake at 375 for about 10-12 minutes.

Makes about 6 dozen

Pumpkin White Chocolate Cookies

2 cups butter, softened
    2 cups granulated sugar
    1 can (16oz) solid pack pumpkin (plain, not the pumpkin pie spiced can)
    2 eggs
    4 cups flour
    2 tsp pumpkin pie spice
    1 tsp baking powder
    1/2 tsp baking soda
    1 bag (12 oz) white chocolate chips

1 block of cream cheese, softened
    1/4 - 1/2 cup brown sugar

375 degree oven. Spray sheets with cooking spray (or grease them w/ butter)

Cream butter and sugar in large bowl until light. Add pumpkin and eggs, beat until smooth. Add flour (slowly), pumpkin pie spice, baking powder and soda, beat until just blended. Stir in chips. (Mixture will be wet, and 'airy')

Drop dough 2 inches apart onto cookie sheet by teaspoonfuls. (use tablespoon if you want them bigger) Bake about 16 minutes, or until cookies are set in the middle. (cookies will not harden as they cook) Remove and cool on wire wrack, or whatever is laying around. :)

While cookies are cooling, beat together cream cheese and brown sugar. Add more or less BS to your taste. Frost cooled cookies.
  • Options
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_not-engaged-yet_im-annoyed-want-talk-cookies?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:136Discussion:fbf02092-b5eb-4b04-90bc-377da0b86253Post:f7895ffc-85ff-444d-8099-709017f99142">Re: I'm annoyed and want to talk about cookies.</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: I'm annoyed and want to talk about cookies. : No :/ Just big ol' honkin chocolate chips.
    Posted by AudgiePodge[/QUOTE]

Guess that'll work. It helps that I have found a mini bag of peanut MM's that I'm eating on right now :).  Thanks to this post I have now gained another pound.  Or another, since I'll be runnin over to my Grandma's for her cookies.
    When is my wedding
  • Options
    edited December 2011

Thanks ladies! 

csousa: Those look fantastic!

Audgie: It IS a lot of cookies.  We steal my brothers bedroom and store/let them cool in there.  He gets moved to the couch.

Allusive: Do you have a special chocolate warmer?  We usually just double boil but are looking for something easier.

Mookow: We make those!

Coasite: I want cookies too.

Wrkn: Thanks! I've never seen that before.

motoLyn, we call those "Snow on the Mountain," I haven't seen a recipe that calls for espresso though.  Thanks!

• Options
    CASK85CASK85 member
    5 Love Its First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011
    These are to die for. . . made them last year at a cookie baking party that my grad school girlfriends had and they were a big hit :) 

Choco-Cherry Drops
    Ingredients:
    1/4 c. butter (1/2 stick)
    2 oz. unsweetened chocolate
    2 oz. semisweet chocolate
    1/2 c. light brown sugar
    3/4 c. granulated sugar
    1/2 tsp. vanilla
    2 eggs
    1 Tbsp. milk
    1/2 c. flour
    1/4 c. natural (unsweetened) cocoa
    1/2 tsp. cinnamon
    1/4 tsp. salt
    half of a 16 oz. bag of chocolate chunks
    1/2 c. dried cherries (about half a bag)

Method:
    Preheat oven to 325.  Over low heat, melt butter and baking chocolates (4 oz.) in a medium saucepan.  Stir in both sugars until incorporated.  Take off heat, stir in vanilla.

Add eggs and milk and beat until thick and glossy.

In sep. bowl, sift together dry ingredients.  Add chocolate mixture to dry ingredients and stir to combine.  Stir in chocolate chunks and dried cherries.

Drop batter by rounded tablespoons onto cookie sheets, spaced about 2 inches apart.  Bake for 12-15 minutes, or until cookies look cracked on outside, but still fudgy inside (they will look undercooked, but this is normal--they firm up during cooling)

Cool cookies for about 5 min. on cookie sheets.  Transfer to wire racks and cool completely.

Makes about 2 doz.  Recipe can be doubled for 4 doz.
  • Options
    edited December 2011

My signature holiday cookies are kolaches.

Kolaches

-Equal parts of soften cream cheese, soften butter and all purpose flour by weight (example- 8 oz of cream cheese to 8 oz butter to 8 oz flour)

- Fillings of you choosing (my favorites are cream cheese, strawberry jam or jelly, apple jam or jelly and raspberry jam or jelly. I buy these fillings from a cake/candy supply store but you can also make your own. I do not have a recipe for any fillings since I buy them to save time.)

- One egg beaten with a little bit of milk in separate bowl. 

- Sugar or sugar and cinnamon mixture for dusting of cookies

- In a mixer, combined soften butter and cream cheese. Mix until combined.  Scrape down sides of bowl.

- While mixer is on low, slowly add in flour until all ingredients are just combined. Do not over mix. Dough will be very sticky. 

- Remove from bowl and wrap in plastic wrap (if there is any flour at the bottom of the bowl you can gently need it into the dough) and place dough in the fridge for at least 2 hours.

- Once cool, roll out 1/4 to 1/2 half of the dough (depending on work surface). Make sure work surface and rolling pin are well floured as dough get sticker as it warms up. Roll out to thickness of a piece of card stock ( should be rolled thin but not too thin where it will rip while folding the dough)

- Once dough is rolled out cut dough into even squares ( about 2 inches by 2 inches) and pipe a line of filling in the center on the diagonal, corner to corner. Take the corners opposite from on another that do not have the filling and fold into center. Transfer to a cookie sheet lined with parchment paper.

- Brush folded cookies with egg wash and sprinkle with sugar or cinnamon sugar (for the apple filling). 

- Bake in a 400 degree oven until just golden, about 10 min but can vary. 

- Enjoy!

P.S. dusting with powder sugar after they are cool is optional. I do not do it, this it just a picture I found online.

• Options
    leia1979leia1979 member
    5 Love Its First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011
    Wow, that's a lot of cookies.

My all time favorite are oatmeal raisin milk chocolate chip cookies. They're based on the recipe on the Quaker Oats can from the early '80s (they've since changed it).

My mom also makes these cranberry caramel bar things at Christmas. Here are two similar recipes. I believe she uses fresh cranberries, as done in the first link.

http://find.myrecipes.com/recipes/recipefinder.dyn?action=displayRecipe&recipe_id=10000000257715

http://www.grouprecipes.com/23508/cranberry-caramel-bars.html
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Thanks for all your input ladies!  I definitely have some new recipes to try!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I didnt have a cookie recipe to share but I will definitely try some of these!

Thanks for the thread PPE :))
    South Florida July Siggy Challenge-Bouquet image . image image ................. Invited:120image Attending:121 image Declined:001image Not Yet Replied:0image RSVP Date: July 25th Ready to Roll!!
  • Options
    chaiteachickchaiteachick member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper First Comment
    edited December 2011
    OMG, baking cookies is my favorite thing to do when I'm annoyed. I even dubbed my preferred recipe "Rachie's Angry-Baking Cookies" in my handwritten recipe book. ;)

They're based on a recipe from the back of a chocolate chip bag from the '80's or early '90's, so not that difficult, but my cookies still rule the roost. ;)
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards