Attire & Accessories Forum
Options

Too much jewelry? Diamonds & pearls?

My FMIL gave me a diamond bracelet last night and said that she hopes I will choose to wear it for the wedding. She also has diamond earrings that she said she hopes I will wear as well. The jewelry is beautiful and I am extremely appreciative. My mother called last night and said for my something borrowed she would like me to wear her pearl necklace which has a lot of sentimental meaning. It's a simple strand of pearls and gorgeous as well.
On top of all this, i really wanted to wear a headband/tiara, something simple and not over-the top but still pretty.

I thought my jewelry was all figured out now (the bracelet, necklace, and earrings) but  my best friend just told me I can't mix pearls with diamonds ( I wasn't aware of this? )  and that it will be too much jewelry.

What do you think? I've attached a photo of me in my dress (it's getting altered right now so in the photo it looks big on me).

Ideally I wish it would all go together because I want to make my mother and my FMIL happy, and I especially don't want to hurt any feelings..

Re: Too much jewelry? Diamonds & pearls?

• Options
    Could you maybe post a picture of your jewlery?
  • Options
    Pearls and dimaonds go together! 
  • Options
    My camera is on the outs and my cell phone is charging, lol.   So here is a very similar pic (actually pretty identical) to the bracelet:

and the pearls are just a simple strand, the pearls are about the size of peas. (can't think of another way to describe them, lol) :)

and the earrings i have not seen yet but I know that they are solitaires.

• Options
    You can DEFINITELY mix diamonds and pearls! I have earrings that are diamonds with a pearl drop and they're beautiful. There's not reason you can't wear all of that jewelry.

I doesn't sound like it will be too much at all, but use your judgment and maybe have another friend tell you the day of if you've got too much going on.
  • Options
    If I were you, I'd mix and match (as long as they're simple). And like PP said, you can always ask a friend you trust if you have too much going on.
  • Options
    A lot of the jewelry I've been looking at mixes diamonds and pearls - it's a beautiful combo! I'd try everything on together and see how you feel.
    Anniversary
  • Options
    Like PP said, you can definitely mix them. I've seen quite a few necklaces with a combo that I just adore!
  • Options
    I love diamonds and pearls.  I think it will look great!
  • Options

Thanks so much for your input! I feel much better now..  I didn't think there was anything wrong with it either but my friend totally threw me off. I would hate to tell my mother and/or my FMIL that I won't be wearing their items because it doesn't "match", that would be awful. 

YAY for pearls and diamonds!!! :)

• Options
    I wonder if you could a diamond drop pendant to add to the necklace (I'd suggest a good immitation ;) ) to tie them all together?  It sounds very pretty and elegant!
    84image 73image 11image Wedding date: June 11, 2011 :)
  • Options
    Wear them to your fitting and see what you think.  Who cares what your friend says?
  • Options
    I think it's probably all fine together, but maybe if it seems like too much you could wear one of the pieces to another significant event like a photo shoot before the wedding (if you're doing one of those) or the rehearsal.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    Since all the pieces are simple and classic, I don't think it will be too much at all. Maybe you could find a headpiece that combines pearls with mirror backed crystals or czs to tie everything together. Smile
  • Options
    To make sure it does tie in together and looks 'purposeful', try to find your headpiece in crystal/diamond and pearls. It's trendy now so you should have no problem! 

"The greatest thing you'll ever learn is just to love and be loved in return." ~Moulin Rouge
  • Options
    I think diamonds and pearls look really nice together because they are so classic. Asside from my engagement ring and wedding band, which are yellow gold and diamonds, I wore this pretty necklace and earring set on my wedding day:

The only difference is that the stones in the necklace and earrings are rhinestones, but they looked like diamonds. I actually got a lot of compliments on them, even from the women who worked in the bridal gown store when I was getting fit!
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_attire-accessories_too-much-jewelry-diamonds-pearls?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:15Discussion:8d1b6d5c-07b9-4458-b883-b7450fcca0e9Post:2188b6c9-c3e4-46a0-8d40-6fc0b1769d02">Re: Too much jewelry? Diamonds & pearls?</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Too much jewelry? Diamonds & pearls? : I think your friend is wrong.  I think what you've described would go really nicely together.
    Posted by edielaura[/QUOTE]
    I agree!
  • Options
    You can definitely wear pearls with diamonds. And the jewelry you have described doesn't seem like overdoing it at all :)
  • Options
    edited March 2012
    I think it sound very pretty and will mix together nicely!

September 2013 Moms Siggy Challenge: The Thing I Miss Most Since Being Pregnant
    Replacing the water cooler! And other heavy lifting
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Lilypie Maternity tickers
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Batman was supposed to be a symbol of hope and bring justice. Not spark violence.
  • Options
    I tend to agree with your friend. I think if diamond and pearls are on the same strand they would go, but personally I couldn't picture a diamond bracelet and earrings and a pearl necklace all meshing well. It is kinda like mixing silver and gold, they go together if they are mixed on one same piece but I wouldn't wear a silver necklace and a gold bracelet together. That's just my opionion but whatever you feel comfortable in counts!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards