Snarky Brides
Options

LJ: Can't believe how upset I am :P

I interviewed for two jobs last week, and I felt really, really good about how I'd done. I was asked for a second interview for one right away, and the other one told me that they didn't do second interviews but that they'd call me as soon as my background check cleared. I was supposed to hear by the end of the week.

I just got a two-sentence letter informing me that I didn't get either position. I have literally applied to over 50 residential treatment centers, private practices, schools, non-profits, and absolutely anything that could be remotely called therapy. I have a job right now that's roughly in the field, but I don't get to do actual therapy, and it doesn't qualify to get me hours for licensure, which I need to start doing in the next month. It also gets me roughtly 16 hours a week of work, which isn't exactly going to pay the bills. Oh, and my insane student loans kick in mid-November.

I just feel so defeated, like a total failure. The worst part is that I thought that I'd completely ROCKED both interviews, and I felt really confident that I'd hear from one. I just feel like I have no f-ing clue what to do now. There's no real point to this post, but I don't feel like I can call anyone about it because I don't want to actually talk about it. Typing is different, I suppose :P

Re: LJ: Can't believe how upset I am :P

• Options
    I am in your EXACT position. I feel for you. I am so sorry. This field is extremely difficult. My heart goes out to you! 
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic "Do not seek the because; in love there is no because, no reason, no explanation, no solutions."
  • Options
    I've just started the applying process. I'm graduating in December and I'm starting to get terrified. I'm applying for receptionist positions basically and I cannot even get people to call me back. Not even for five minutes. It's sooo upsetting. It's also annoying as hell to sift through "entry level" postings and have them all say "3 years experience required".

I feel ya. But, this economy can't stay this bad forever, right?
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers

Hawaii with my best friend =)
    Photobucket
  • Options
    Aw, Poli, that sucks .  I'm sorry.  Do you think it was a situation where they already had someone in mind, but had to intevriew anyway?  I don't know if this works this way in all fields, but I know a lot of school districts hire internally, but legally have to post the job (which is total BS IMO) for anyone to interview.

I probably misread or missed a post, but I thought you already had a position out there, but hadn't started yet?
  • Options
    Oh Poli!  I'm sorry.  That really sucks.  Feeling good about an interview and then getting a "dear john" letter is just SO frustrating!

Good things happen to good people.  You just sometimes have to wait a touch longer than you'd like.  I'll keep my fingers crossed for you.
  • Options
    Poli, I'm so sorry, and I was in your shoes from last September until this June. It's hard not to let it get to your sense of confidence in your abilities after awhile. And that's totally crappy that you got just two-sentences after you'd felt such a connection with these places. Honestly, it could have been that their needs changed, or maybe someone licensed got the position instead, which you know is easier on most agencies to have licensed providers. You are warm, compassionate, intelligent, and I'm sure you rock clinically, and I know someplace will scoop you up and be grateful for it. I just hope it happens soon.

In the meantime, my work is always hiring, and they would loooove an MFT! Just sayin... how do you feel about the other ocean? :)

Taco cat: Always a palindrome. ALWAYS, okay J&K?

"cool......insult my size 2 body or my natural brown hair...or the fact that my parents own a country club, I have no budget for a wedding, and I have horses. I really dont care. Its better then having roots." ~ futurepivko
  • Options
    I looked for a job in my field for six months after graduation - it was awful.  Lots of people search longer than that.

Chin up, girl.  I know you're feeling pretty shitty right now, but you're smart and you're qualified and you will find something.  Someone will snatch you up and they'll be lucky to have you!

I know you're defeated and frustrated - just remember that tomorrow is another day.  I believe in you!
    panther
  • Options
    I'm so sorry Poli. I was unemployed for over 3 months. I went to 4 interviews that I thought I nailed but at every single one of them I was told "We love you, you'd be great for the position but we're also considering two, three or four other people," then I wouldn't get it. I was lucky if they would call to tell me. I was lucky if someone even responded to a resume. There were multiple days DH came home to find me sitting in the living room bawling my eyes out.

It is seriously one of the most frustrating, unnerving, humbling, stressful situations ever. I promise you will find something. It might not be exactly what you want but sometimes we have to settle for awhile. I just got a job, it's not in my field or anything that I thought I wanted but it's making me money and getting me out of the apartment for 40 hours a week, and it's so worth it. I'm so thankful that I have a job at all.

I'm saying a lot of prayers for you because I've been there and I am still there, I'm just not as anxious as I was a few weeks ago. I'm so sorry. I truly know how bad it sucks.
  • Options
    Also... Please please PLEASE do not feel like a failure! This market is flooded. You're probably competing against an unbelievable amount of applicants. Keep your chin up. Do not lose confidence in yourself. When you finally land a job you are going to rock at it.
  • Options
    You guys are the best. I'm still crying, but it's different tears, ha :) Beatles, if things stay like this out here, you won't need to convince me very hard. Besides, I think we'd develop an awesome new model together.

NatesGirl, I do have a job, but it's "on-call," so I don't know when I'll be working until a day before or so, and it hasn't been full-time. It's definitely good crisis experience, but (without going into jargon) I need to get a certain kind of experience in order to get my license, which will then make it a lot easier to find a good, career-type job. This job doesn't give that experience, so I'm kind of just spinning my wheels and using up some of the allotted time to get all the experience. This is getting long, sorry :P
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    I'm going to "sing" to you the lyrics to one of my favorite songs right now:

You are a winner! You are a conqueror! You can do all things! Yes you can!
    You are triumphant! Nothing is holding you!!!

Do not let the devil tell you that you are a failure!! You are anything but! There is something out there for you, and you just have to WAIT! DO NOT let the devil steal your joy and take away the way you are supposed to feel about yourself! I am so proud of you for going out there and interviewing for those jobs but those were not the jobs for you. Just wait and I promise, you will be fine and will soon have the job of your dreams!!!!
    And the whole time, my future husband was in the room...... image image
  • Options
    Poli, I know you don't me because I'm mostly a lurker, but I'm sorry to read you're having such a hard time with the job search.  Also, this won't help until you get licensed, but check out http://nhsc.bhpr.hrsa.gov/. It's a loan repayment program- you work for 2 years in an underserved community and the government will pay you up to $50,000 to apply to/pay off your student loans. IIRC, you'll be an LMFT, right?  I'm a licensed counselor and have been in the program since January.
  • Options
    Poli & Beatles, LLC. Specializing in helping you feel better about yourself and general sunshinery. All forms of payment accepted. :)

Taco cat: Always a palindrome. ALWAYS, okay J&K?

"cool......insult my size 2 body or my natural brown hair...or the fact that my parents own a country club, I have no budget for a wedding, and I have horses. I really dont care. Its better then having roots." ~ futurepivko
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_lj-cant-believe-upset-am-p?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:17Discussion:fef19fa1-0cc4-4e5f-a46d-bc1002bc3f9fPost:feb34dca-e38f-4fbc-be16-0b2bb694e455">Re: LJ: Can't believe how upset I am :P</a>:
    [QUOTE]Poli & Beatles, LLC. Specializing in helping you feel better about yourself and general sunshinery. All forms of payment accepted. :)
    Posted by beatlesgirl25[/QUOTE]

This.

:) You guys are great. I'm definitely going to look into that loan repayment program... I had heard of something similar, but it required 10 years of work (pre- and post-license). Two years would be MUCH better!
  • Options
    Good luck, Poli!  Let us know how it goes! 
  • Options
    edited October 2010

Awww Poli.

I don't know if it's an issue there, but over here, a lot of positions are advertised when they already have a suitable candidate in mind (particularly in government where there's a need for transparency in recruitment). They'll interview etc, but the preferred candidate tends to have an advantage (even if it is purely unconscious bias). 

I would call and ask for feedback. There's no harm in doing so and it will strengthen your future interviews, if nothing else. 

Hang in there- you did awesomely to score those interviews to begin with. You'll find something soon.

• Options

Sorry to hear about your situation...I have many friends in the same one...have you tried calling after the interview to see why they went in a different direction? I usually do that after interviews so that it can help me work on areas for the next ones etc.

Some people are not comfortable doing this and that's fine, however I know from the workshops I have attended this was encouraged so that you get as much feedback as possible.

GL!

Nicole

• Options
    Sorry, Poil :(  I know it sucks, I've been there, done that.  I have one horror story that I tell everyone because over a year later, I still get heated thinking about it.  I guess...at least they sent a letter?  I think I got zero response from 98% of the jobs I applied for, including one I interviewed for.  Ridiculous.  Just remember that you're awesome and amazing, and if that's all they can give you for your efforts, you probably don't want to work there anyway.  Not that that helps.  I hope you find something soon!

Everything the light touches is my kingdom.
  • Options
    polichikpolichik member
    First Comment
    edited October 2010
    You all are very wise. I sent a follow-up e-mail to the woman I interviewed with (I tend to stutter on the phone when I'm upset/anxious :P), and she replied that she had forwarded my e-mail on to their HR rep, who I never met. That seems odd.

And Bec, that's really, really great advice. (P.S. My mom has promised to bring your item with her when she comes to visit so that I can send it back!).
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards