Wedding Cakes & Food Forum

Pork & Chicken as dinner options?

My Fiance and I are trying to figure out what to do with our dinner menu.  We were wondering if it would be taboo to only serve Pork?  We've tasted the pork that our venue makes and it was amazing.  My fiance doesn't like Pork in the first place, and he kept going back for more.  Their new menu presented to us recently had an abrupt 30% increase in prices, and after a nice LONG email, and several other complaints from couples, they adjusted to more reasonable price increase as well as the option of ordering off the old menu (which gives more flexibility & options).  Dispite that, we are finding it would be cheaper to go off the new menu now because of certain changes.  We still, however, run into the issue of $13 more per plate for beef, than chicken/pork. We have a budget, and don't want to spend 75% of it on food. What are your guy's thoughts?

Re: Pork & Chicken as dinner options?

• RebeccaB88RebeccaB88 member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited December 2011
    I think that as long as both dishes taste really good, and you have a vegetarian option, you'll be fine. 
  • edited December 2011
    Are you inviting any Kosher guests?
  • edited December 2011
    I would choose Pork OR Chicken (both are white meat), and a fish option (if it is on par for affordability). Weddings that I have been to often give a choice of chicken or fish. Meat or fish, etc. Also, have a vegetarian option available for those who don't eat meat.
  • edited December 2011
    Like others said, if you have a vegetarian option, that's fine.
    my read shelf:
    Meredith's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
    40/112

Photobucket
  • jerseydeviljerseydevil member
    5 Love Its First Anniversary Name Dropper First Comment
    edited December 2011
    A lot of people don't eat pork, so you definitely need to provide a second option.
  • edited December 2011
    <div align="left">In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_food-cakes_pork-chicken-dinner-options?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special Topic Wedding BoardsForum:23Discussion:1b18c2e7-d5ca-40db-ab82-b6386ffe4c15Post:5067afc6-ec3e-4c65-bb93-21be890a2b21">Re: Pork & Chicken as dinner options?</a>:
    [QUOTE]I think that as long as both dishes taste really good, and you have a vegetarian option, you'll be fine. 
    Posted by RebeccaB88[/QUOTE]

Ditto this. The beef dishes at our venue are ridiculously expensive and not very good. We're going with either a pork or chicken dish, but we will also have a vegetarian dish available for those that request it. </div>
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Anniversary
  • edited December 2011
    I would do chicken and beef, but that's just me.
  • edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_food-cakes_pork-chicken-dinner-options?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:23Discussion:1b18c2e7-d5ca-40db-ab82-b6386ffe4c15Post:655fd73b-ed94-406e-abb8-3d0cbe893eda">Re: Pork & Chicken as dinner options?</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Pork & Chicken as dinner options? : Ditto this. The beef dishes at our venue are ridiculously expensive and not very good. We're going with either a pork or chicken dish, but we will also have a vegetarian dish available for those that request it.
    Posted by Amivy06[/QUOTE]

I agree.
  • AbbeyS2011AbbeyS2011 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Alot of people do not eat pork for various reasons.  If costs are an issue, your safest bet is chicken and a vegetarian option.  If you can swing two meat options, then I would suggest pork and chicken. 
    Anniversary
  • edited December 2011
    No, we have about 6 Vegan guest though.  There are vegan options
  • edited December 2011
    Yes - with the cheaper option of the beef, its still about a $1300 total difference after all the taxes and service charges add up.  That's $1300 we could use for hosting more alcohol.  Even then, that option we tasted twice now, and both times didn't like that certain beef option.  THe filet mignon is $13 more. 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards