Wedding Cakes & Food Forum

Some please tell me it's ok!!!!!

Ok so I found myself overwhelmed with booking the off premises catering. I'm having and outside ceremony and reception for approx. 60 - 75 people. Our budget isn't large because both of us just started working again this past summer after being unemployed for sometime.

Last night I had an awesome tasting at a catering place. The food was delicious. I figured that since we are having a morning ceremony around 10am that instead of a full buffet or sit down service that we will have a Cocktail reception. It will included 2 - 3 hours of unlimited appetizers served butler style about 30 different types hot and cold. A pasta station (3 selections) and 2 carving stations. Instead of hard liqour we will have 4 signature cocktails, wine and champagne since it's still early in the day.

This fits perfectly within our budget. I may even be able to add a desert table. In my head this sounds ok but then I keep thinking if I went to someone's wedding would I expect more especially for the guests that are traveling out of state. I figured it would be better to have an elegant but simple cocktail reception that I can afford instead of having an okie doke buffet or ssit down meal  with the same budget.

I hope this is just all a little anxiety and I can just let it go, my fiancee says we can only do what we can and it's not about the guests its about us.
Someone please tell me it all sounds good so I can stop worrying it's giving me a headache.
Peace & Blessings Nancy

Re: Some please tell me it's ok!!!!!

• edited December 2011

That sounds like more than enough for a cocktail reception.  It's plenty of food for what will essentially be a luncheon reception, both in quantity and variety.  And I think limiting the alcohol at that time of day is perfectly acceptable.  I'd enjoy it if I were invited. 

I'm sending your "Peace & Blessings" back to you - breathe, it will turn out just fine!!  Congrats & good luck.

• edited December 2011
    That sounds great. Deep breaths!
  • rascal17rascal17 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    For that time of day I think its perfectly ok in fact it sounds great. Around lunch I dont think people are expecting a big full sit down dinner. I know in my case and my familys case lunch is pretty light so what you have listed sounds like more than enough. As long as you let guests know that its a cocktail reception than you will be fine so relax, take a couple of deep breaths and let it go. 
    Pumpernickel and olive juice
  • edited December 2011
    That sounds fine.  You're still providing a substantial amount of food, even though it's not a sit down meal, so I don't think you need to worry about people traveling from out of town feeling like they are going to have to stop to eat a "real meal" before they get back on the road.  
  • jessss21jessss21 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    That sounds delicious! I tend to like the apptizers more than the meals at most weddings :)
  • cmp1986cmp1986 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    A little word of advice. When you post the same thread onto different boards, put XP at the beginning of the subject line.
  • achiduckachiduck member
    5 Love Its First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Sounds yummy!
    Anniversary
  • soozy87soozy87 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Sounds good to me!
    ~May 21,2011~
  • FaithCaitlinFaithCaitlin member
    5 Love Its First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Sounds delicious! Don't stress.

imageUntitledmy read shelf:
    Faith (FaithCaitlin)'s book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
  • RebeccaB88RebeccaB88 member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited December 2011
    Sounds like plenty to me!  I would just make sure you had plenty of tables and a chair for everyone, since that much/kind of food is really hard to eat while standing.
  • edited December 2011
    ditch the pasta.... go straight to the honeymoon.... leave the guest behind and they can get their own freaking dinner... I'm just kidding.... get them some dog food if they are really hungry.. i know of some great brands of dog food... oh and make sure your dress is easy to take off... ;) don't worry i'm not trying to be creepy.. heck.. i'm public schooled!! 
  • edited December 2011
    Ditto Rebecca! As long as there are enough places to sit and eat what sounds like is going to be delicious food, you'll have no problems. I think you have a great plan and your guests will more than likely really enjoy it!

And WTF is beastlysexy talking about? Or is this just a troll to be ignored?
  • edited December 2011
    PLENTY of food and I think it's good that you're considered quality!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards