Flowers
Options

Florist's combined with DIY

Hi,
After getting quotes for my bouquets I decided on a reasonable florist, BUT still want to save a little money with bouts.  So if I make my own bouts from silk mini red gerberas and they aren't quite the same as the red gerberas the florist uses in the bouquets do you think it will clash?? I am only looking at the silks online and I can tell that they will probably be a little brighter then the real ones the florist uses....I just don't want to pay the extra amount for her to make those too.  I already did my research and I will save plenty of money doing myself...will people notice big time???

Thanks,
Katie
BabyFruit Ticker image

Re: Florist's combined with DIY

• Options
    tldhtldh member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    If you're not sure about the color, go to Michaels or another craft store and see what they look like in person.  Photos can distort colors, especially with fabric.
    AKA GoodLuckBear14
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    If it is a different shade of color, people will notice. And people will probably also notice the live flowers vs the fake ones. How much can this possibly save?
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I suggest going to Michael's or Hobby Lobby. I don't think people will really notice; if they do, I don't think they will think much of it.

I will say that DIY bouts is easy and will only take 1-2 hours; however you aren't saving a ton of money. If they cost $14(high)/bout and you only have 3 you are only saving $42. This most likely won't even cover the delivery charge. I would suggest using cheaper versions of your bouquet flowers(same colors) in your centerpieces and/or altar pieces.This will cut down the price significantly. Also, see how much your florist would offer gerbera stems. They can order extra for you and I have found that they are usually cheaper this way than online from a wholesaler.
    Anniversary
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    My florist wants to charge $6 a bout, which I think is reasonable, but I know I can get the fake mini gerberas for .69 cents!  That seems worth the savings to me, but then again I just don't know what to do.  They don't have the mini gerberas I found online at any of my local craft stores so that isn't really an option right now... 
    BabyFruit Ticker image
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_flowers_florists-combined-diy?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:28Discussion:2d9f3eb1-6adb-4cb4-b114-4bac536d2266Post:3461b3d1-d483-4470-bf1b-b1c9319a7328">Re: Florist's combined with DIY</a>:
    [QUOTE]My florist wants to charge $6 a bout, which I think is reasonable, but I know I can get the fake mini gerberas for .69 cents!  That seems worth the savings to me, but then again I just don't know what to do.  They don't have the mini gerberas I found online at any of my local craft stores so that isn't really an option right now... 
    Posted by katiejo86[/QUOTE]

Even if it was $5 a GM that doesn't add up to much. How many GMs? Yeah if you can find what you want you can save a couple of dollars but they won't match and they will be fake. Personally I don't think that savings is worth it. 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards