July 2012 Weddings
Options

Are you sticking to "day" and "evening" looks?

ETA: Sorry guys, I was extra wordy and very unclear haha. I don't care what the "rules" are for day and evening weddings so this isn't a question about what I should do. I was only curious to see if anyone finds this important or is following the day and evening guidelines ;-)

Just a question for the day :)

Lately I've been searching for makeup inspiration like a mad woman!! FI also has lots of opinions on bridal makeup, don't know how he notices this stuff but he's pointed out that the majority of brides (specifically here, I'm not sure he means in general) always get makeup done that makes them look much older than they really are. Maybe it's the natural, brown or grayish tones but from the last couple of weddings we went to, I see what he means. Anyway besides the hassle of finding something that will fit my skin tone, I'm having trouble finding something I love. I kind of don't want my makeup to be too natural looking.. I do want to look special and stand out just a bit.

Anyway that got me thinking.. my wedding is at 11am. Meaning I'm supposed to go for the less dramatic looks for my day wedding. At first I was going to ask about this in terms of makeup, but I realize this can easily apply to your whole wedding look. Like when you're shopping for your wedding dress and the first thing they ask is "What time of day is your wedding?"

Are you following the "day" and "evening" wedding looks? Do you think this is something important to follow in terms of dress, makeup, accessories, hair etc.? Would you say it's "tacky" if the look is out of place with the time of day? 

Re: Are you sticking to "day" and "evening" looks?

• Options
    edited March 2012
    I don't think it's tacky at all. I would wear whatever makes you happy AND I would do whatever makeup makes you feel the most beautiful. :) I don't think people pay that much attention to this sort of stuff, really, and I certainly don't think that because your wedding is at 11am you should downplay the type of makeup you want to have. Plus, you'll need more makeup for pictures, right?

In any event, your fiance is going to think you look gorg regardless of what you're wearing and have on your face! :)
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    My FI loves dramatic make-up. He really notices that stuff. Our wedding starts at 6pm and I'm thinking I want something neutral (ie browns) but a made-up, 'evening' look. I do think an early afternoon start time might influence me to choose a more day-time look now that you mention it. 

I don't think it would be tacky if you didn't follow that though. I also think it depends on the person. You have darker skin and eyes so I feel like you can get away with darker eye make-up than someone with fairer skin, even during the day.

And I totally know what you're talking about with bridal make-up making brides look older. I went to a wedding last July where the first thing I noticed about the bride was how old her make-up made her look. She never wears make-up so that might have contributed to my first impression. I wish I could post a picture but I don't want to violate her privacy. But WOW did she look old. 
    imageWedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    Nati05Nati05 member
    First Comment First Anniversary
    edited March 2012
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-club-boards_july-2012-weddings_sticking-to-day-and-evening-looks?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding Club BoardsForum:066005ef-215f-48b1-8655-328b41e07c52Discussion:2cbf4fe6-4686-41a5-bfa9-781f0288c989Post:341c4cf2-0598-45f8-aee8-1c02eb70db9f">Re: Sticking to "day" and "evening" looks?</a>:
    [QUOTE]I don't think it's tacky at all. I would wear whatever makes you happy AND I would do whatever makeup makes you feel the most beautiful. :) I don't think people pay that much attention to this sort of stuff, really, and I certainly don't think that because your wedding is at 11am you should downplay the type of makeup you want to have. Plus, you'll need more makeup for pictures, right?
    Posted by bridetobe71412[/QUOTE]

That's what I figure! I've pretty much decided I'll be doing whatever I want haha! ;-)

But it did get me thinking and I was curious to see how many people stick to these day and night guidelines and if it actually matters to anyone.

ETA: Meagan I had never noticed that about wedding makeup making some brides look old until FI pointed it out... very strange!
  • Options
    I think everyone expects the bride to be made-up and it doesn't really matter whether day or night. Night you might be able to pull of a little more dramatic makeup if thats your thing, but I don't think there are any "rules" about this :-)
    Daisypath - Personal pictureDaisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Options
    Nati05Nati05 member
    First Comment First Anniversary
    edited March 2012
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-club-boards_july-2012-weddings_sticking-to-day-and-evening-looks?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding Club BoardsForum:066005ef-215f-48b1-8655-328b41e07c52Discussion:2cbf4fe6-4686-41a5-bfa9-781f0288c989Post:6f070af9-9335-49a9-a5de-f3a5383e2033">Re: Sticking to "day" and "evening" looks?</a>:
    [QUOTE]Night you might be able to pull of a little more dramatic makeup if thats your thing,<strong> but I don't think there are any "rules" about this</strong> :-)
    Posted by lvissers[/QUOTE]

Really? I've heard plenty about the day and night guidelines. Obvs it's always up to the bride in the end but the tips are there to tell you what looks best for whatever time of day. There might be a bigger emphasis on it down here, I don't really know anymore haha, but I do hear about it a lot. I actually have one Colombian magazine that seriously takes it to another level and categorizes appropriate COMPLETE wedding looks by climate regions, seasons AND day and evening looks for each. LOL That's something else on its own. But I also see several North American and European articles, pictures  etc that still talk about any difference that might exist between day and night weddings. Not that I'm applying it to myself and I personally think more brides are doing the same, but you never know who might find this important for them.
  • Options
    I think in everyday stuff, the "day" and "night" rules apply...
    But personally, since a wedding is a once in a lifetime (we hope) experience, I think you shouldn't have to modify your look just because of the clock. Go for a "wedding" look and worry about day and night stuff for other things in your life. That's my opinion.
    My blog
    "I will greatly rejoice in the LORD, My soul shall be joyful in my God; For He has clothed me with the garments of salvation, He has covered me with the robe of righteousness, As a bridegroom decks himself with ornaments, And as a bride adorns herself with her jewels." -Isaiah 61:10 NKJV
  • Options
    I've been to lots of morning weddings where the groom (gasp!) wasn't wearing a "morning suit". And guess what... I didn't care and I'm sure pretty much everyone else felt the same way. So I think a lot of the old rules are really out dated in today's world, so we can kind of do what we want and so can our men =)
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    I agree with pp. I don't think there are any rules. I'm actually having a second makeup trial because I thought the darker brown tones made me look old.
  • Options
    Our wedding is at 2pm. Fiance is wearing a black tux, groomsmen are wearing black tuxes, BMs are wearing silvery grey dresses, and I plan to have my makeup totally decked out!! I am planning on perhaps a purple smokey eye and some really pretty lip gloss....not sure yet....but I don't plan on letting the fact that our wedding is in the afternoon influence how I have my makeup one bit!!

PS my makeup artist is one of Danica Patrick's regular makeup artists around here, haha! So if she knows how to make Danica look pretty....hopefully she can make me look decent too ;) 
  • Options
    @Butterfly - I love that you are thinking about purples for your eye shadow! It seems like brides always do really neutral looks, which I get, but it's fun to see brides be a bit more adventurous. Have you done a trial yet? I want to see what you have planned!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    BMore my trial isn't until May...I LOVE fun eyeshadows and want to do something a little bit different! I basically do a nude or a pink shimmery smoky eye EVERY DAY so I want to look different the day I get married. I will make sure I take pics when I do my trial!! I LOVE something like this except with a little bit more purple to it....

• Options
    In Response to Re:Are you sticking to :[QUOTE]Butterfly I love that you are thinking about purples for your eye shadow! It seems like brides always do really neutral looks, which I get, but it's fun to see brides be a bit more adventurous. Have you done a trial yet? I want to see what you have planned! Posted by BmoreBride311[/QUOTE]
    Me too!! I want to see too!! I've been thinking about a soft purple or maybe a liner..not sure yet. But I really want to see your look! :
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards