Registry and Gift Forum

BB&B Vs. Macy's

I am registered at Macy's and Bed, Bath and Beyond. We originally registered at Macy's (alot of our family shops there) just for our china. Then we went to Bed Bath & Beyond for all the little things kitchen gadgets..etc. Come to find out almost everything was at both stores.  When we went to Macys I was told to put whatever I have on my BB&B registry and when we went to BB&B they said put everything on my Macys registry. Now I am thinking people might think I want double of everything- when in reality I dont and even if we do get double something will be returned. Which I am not afraid of returns I just dont know if we should be registering for both at Macys and BB&B. Please advise.. and thanks in advance.

Re: BB&B Vs. Macy's

• You don't have to listen to the stores about what to put on the registries.  Having two stores is nice though in case some of your guests prefer to shop at one or the other.Take stuff off of each registry until you're registered for one of each item total.  Just make sure that you have a variety of price points at each store.  You might want to make sure that some of the little kitchen gadgets on each registry 'go together' in a sense, in case someone wants to buy a few small items to make up a larger gift.  It's probably a good idea to do this online so that you don't have the registry reps pressuring you to keep everything on their store's registry.
  • Macy's has better benefits than BBB.  What we did was keep most of our big ticket items on our Macy's registry and put most of our gadgets on the BBB registry.  You really should have two registries so your friends/family have a choice of stores.  I wouldn't double up on items because you will get multiples and who wants to deal with that. 
  • Cut back on your BBB registry - do it online so you don't have to deal with the salesmanship of the staff.  BBB looks like a big warehouse, only slightly better than Costco, and it's not really a nice wedding shopping experience.Leave your Macys registry large.  They have everything you want, from china to gadgets, and the price is competitive with BBB.  And it's a much nicer place for your guests to go and shop for wedding gifts.
  • People actually care what a store looks like when they are buying a wedding gift?  I doubt there are that many people who are looking for a wonderful experience when they are shopping for a gift.  They are hoping to purchase something the couple wants.  I think it's silly to change a registry because of a stores ambiance. 
  • I personally prefer BBB because I find their prices to be better.  Plus, I'm still bitter that Macy's took over Marshall Field's in Chicago.I think it is unlikely that people will think you want 2 of everything simply because it is on both registries.  We doubled up on a few things and just removed them if they were purchased somewhere else (I didn't have to return anything).  But, I would place the majority of items on only one registry, making sure there is a good selection of price ranges on both.As for looks, I do not think BBB looks like a warehouse store, but maybe that's just the one I go to.  Then again, unless I see rodent poo I'm not really that picky.
  • I agree with KMT_CAS, I really dont think people care what the store looks like. They are buying a gift that will please the couple. Also the reason I chose Bed, Bath and Beyond and Macys is because I shop at both stores. But Bed, Bath and Beyond seems to have lower prices then Macys hands down unless Macys is having a sale. I am keeping my big ticket items (china, vaccum, blender..etc) still with Macys, but I also have my china registered now at BB&B. I figure like the previous poster said I will update my registry as time goes on and if I have to I will return duplicates!   Thanks for all the advice Girls!
  • i personally have had better experiences buying wedding gifts at target since they put the location of the item on the print out of the registry. i love bb&b too and we are registered there ourselves, but it can be kind of a pain for the person buying the gift. the upsides though are that pretty much everyone can get their hands on a coupon and they have a great selection of things in store plus online.
    BabyFruit Ticker Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers BabyName Ticker Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers TTC since 07/2010 BFP #1 11/10/11 Natural MC at 6w4d BFP #2 01/23/12 MC at 12w. 2x Cytotek 1x Methergen; Genetic testing found Factor V Leiden and MTHFR. Started extra Folic Acid and Baby Aspirin then Lovenox BFP #3 07/02/12 EDD 3/13/13 Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • I would leave the doubles, you are more likley to get what you want that way. If you do get doubble items you can always return what you got form BBB to BBB, and get something else.  They have a super easy return.  If it shows up on the registry you can return it, no recipt needed.  People who shop at macys will shop at macys people who like BBB, usualy they want to use their coupon, shop at BBB.  No harm of doubbling.  If you feel  funny about it though, change it. No harm no foul.  Whatever you do is right there is no wrong way.
  • FYI For future brides:

My husband and I got way more gift cards to Bed, Bath, and Beyond than Macys.  We received more Bed, Bath, and Beyond gifts.  I tried to have smaller priced items at both sites.  We also registered at Crate and Barrel and REI.  We received even fewer gifts from these places.

I would recommend registering for more expensive gifts at Macy's.  Here is a great example why.  My parents bought us the Kitchen Aid mixer on our registry.  There was a rebate for a $60 attachment.  In the fine print it said, "Can not be redeemed if bought at Bed,Bath, and Beyond or Lowes."  

As for small stuff, I think Bed, Bath, and beyond has more variety.  I love the OXO line.  This is just my opinion.  I think Macy's is a great place for smaller items too!

• I have to say that in my experience, Macy's is a TERRIBLE place for a wedding registry. The merchandise is great, however the customer experience is 9/10 ATROCIOUS. Trust me- I used to be their HR person. You don't want to put your guests through that. I'd say for big ticket purchases consider Ikea.
  • We registered at BBB and had a great experience with them and got a ton of gifts cards to there. We also got several comments on how glad they were that we registered at BBB. As someone who was in Macy's recently buying a wedding gift I had a hard time with the numbers they give you locating what I needed and they don't wrap gifts.  It makes it so nice when you don't have to worry about buying bags/wrapping paper.

• I like both stores; but my fiance and I started our first registry at BBB (I am a very frugal person, and I like the fact that they send out 20% off coupons at least once a month- that should help our guests :) ). We did not find any sheets/ bedding/ or decorative items that we really liked though. I guess we will have to make another registry for that stuff.

• In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_registering-gifts_bbb-vs-macys?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:34Discussion:10497906Post:62823249">BB&B Vs. Macy's</a>:
    [QUOTE]People actually care what a store looks like when they are buying a wedding gift?  I doubt there are that many people who are looking for a wonderful experience when they are shopping for a gift.  They are hoping to purchase something the couple wants.  I think it's silly to change a registry because of a stores ambiance.
    Posted by kmt_cas[/QUOTE]

Yes, they do. I can't stand BB&B and go there only when I've looked everywhere else for something I really need. I hate the way it's filled with infomercial crap and other poor quality items. I would much rather purchase something nicer for a couple off of a Macy's registry. Also, Macy's has terrific sales constantly that make it hard to beat price-wise on a number of items (including china).
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_registering-gifts_bbb-vs-macys?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:34Discussion:10497906Post:c89b1549-b314-4ad2-a2e4-ee713bbf0e73">Re: BB&B Vs. Macy's</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to BB&B Vs. Macy's : Yes, they do. I can't stand BB&B and go there only when I've looked everywhere else for something I really need. I hate the way it's filled with infomercial crap and other poor quality items. I would much rather purchase something nicer for a couple off of a Macy's registry. Also, Macy's has terrific sales constantly that make it hard to beat price-wise on a number of items (including china).
    Posted by irshis20[/QUOTE]

I have a registry at both stores.  I actually found better deals on some big ticket items at BBB.  For example the Keurig is $60 cheaper at BBB - and yes it is the same model.  Either way there are always sales/coupons for both stores.  I know some people prefer one store over another, but it goes both ways.  I was just trying to say you shouldn't nix a registry because some people don't like the store.  I'm sure some people hate Macy's, like my grandmother.  Generally I prefer Macy's but I know BBB is super convenient for everyone.
  • I think it's a personal preference.  If I go to the store, I do appreciate when things are clearly labeled and easy to find.  It's nice to have the 20% off coupons at BB&B, but keep in mind that some of your guests are going to order stuff online, because it's easier and that way you don't have to worry about if what you're holding in your hand matches what is on the resigtry.  If you buy online, you can't use the 20% off coupons.

I would advise against doubling up on things.  If someone chooses to shop at one, they're not going to check the other registry to see if it was purchased there, first.  I guess if you don't mind getting doubles of some items and none of the other, returning the doubles and purchasing the stuff that wasn't purchased, it doesn't matter, but then what is the point of registering in the first place?

I think what's more important is that you have enough items on your register (total) and they are a lot of different prices, so people can pick and choose based on how much they are going to spend.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards