Registry and Gift Forum

Registering at Home Depot or Lowe's?

Has anyone heard of registering at a store like Home Depot or Lowe's? 

We are planning to register for household items at Bed Bath & Beyond, but we really really want to register at a home improvement store since the to-do list for our house is HUGE.  Unfortunately, a lot of the items we would need aren't really "gift items" -- i.e. drywall, nails, paint, etc.  But we were thinking we could register for a handful of items -- i.e. tools, light fixtures, etc. -- and people might get us gift cards to there, as well.

I know that Sears has a registry, but we really hate shopping at Sears so we don't want to do that.  As a back-up, we could always communicate via word of mouth, but I feel like creating a small registry at one of these stores would be better.

Thoughts?  Thanks!!
Photobucket Lilypie Second Birthday tickers BabyFruit Ticker

Re: Registering at Home Depot or Lowe's?

• I thought both had discontinued their registries.
  • I know for a fact that Lowes doesn't have a registry. I believe that Home Depot had a wish list program but I don't know if it is still active. I wanted to do the same with the registry, it is a great idea. I hope you can go with it!
    Who would have thought that it would take more than 5000 miles to find you? BabyFetus Ticker
  • They both used to have registries but they don't anymore--that's why we ended up at Sears.  I'm not a huge fan of it either, but FI really wanted some home improvement items so we ended up doing it

Perhaps word of mouth will be your best option.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Another option is to do a universal registry like amazon or myregistry and add things from these stores.
    Married 10/2/10
  • Julz629Julz629 member
    Combo Breaker First Comment
    Thanks for the ideas.  Really, we are just looking for a few key items and hoping for gift cards to put towards the bigger projects.  I might swing by a Home Depot store to see if they still offer the wish list program.
    Photobucket Lilypie Second Birthday tickers BabyFruit Ticker
  • I just got a shower invitation that said the couple was registered at Home Depot, I could not find it online but went into Home Depot and they were able to pull it up for me.  I would go into the store and I think they should be able to help you.
  • Yes, I just called Home Depot the other day and you just have to go in store to start the registry.  We are also going to register there for a fire pit, some tools for my FI, etc.
  • My FI and I wanted to register at Lowe's or Home Depot as well since we just bought a house that is a fixer upper. Lowe's (at least the one by us) does not have a registery but Home Depot does. We went there and were discouraged that they are not technology friendly. Instead of handing us a scanner they handed us a clipboard with and pencil. For each item we wanted to register for we had to write down theitem's name, scu #, description, price, and quanity wanted. After about 17 items we were tired of doing this and left. I have heard from some people that they had a harder time getting our registry items from Home Depot as well. They have a lot of useful items that we really wanted but it just isn't convienent for us or our guests. We eneded up registering at Sears.
  • We are registered at JCPenneys, Dillards and wanted to register at Home Depot, but it was ridiculous! So I asked a friend at church who had registered there and she said she just put that as one of her registries (for the church shower) and they just got gift cards, so they were able to still get some things from there for their shower.
    "It is never to late to become what you might have been..."
  • My finance and I just purchased our home and we plan to ask for gift cards from Lowes or Home Depot.  We also will register at Bed Bath and Beyond for alternative.  I like the word used in the postings above. :)
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards