Wedding Party
Options

Wedding Colours & Tuxes?

Our wedding colours are black, apple green and plum purple.

BM's are wearing short black dresses of their choice. Their bouquets will either be all green spider mums or spider mums with a bit of purple (lisianthus maybe?)

I like the look of either an all black tux or all black with a white tie/vest for FI.

But I don't know what colour to put the groomsmen in! Do I put them in apple green vests/ties or purple vests/ties?

Any suggestions?
BFP #1 MM/C discovered at 8w2d, loss 11/18/11
I'll hold you in my heart until I hold you in heaven
BFP #2 7/7/12, EDD 3/14/13, stick baby stick!
image Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic BabyFruit Ticker

Re: Wedding Colours & Tuxes?

• Options
    Your FI should choose his gromsmen's attire. If he has deferred to you, then either purple or green ties and vests would be great. We have the same colors, and if we had any male attendants (which we don't), I had envisioned them with green vests and ties.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Lilypie Premature Baby tickers
  • Options
    Ditto PP, your FI dresses himself and the groomsmen. You don't get to dress them (unless FI asks you for your input).

If you want a personal opinion, I dislike colored vests on men. I prefer neutrals, like black or silver or champagne. More masculine colors - green, blue, red - are more acceptable to me, but I don't like "girly" colors on men at all - purple, pink, yellow. So if he says he doesn't care and lets you decide, I'd go for a green color if you want a colored vest.

We're going with black vests and black and green striped ties. I think it's neutral and sophisticated but it still adds that little pop of color without being overwhelming. I didn't tell FI to do this, but I made the suggestion and he liked the idea. Actually, I originally envisioned solid green ties, but he wanted striped so I kept my mouth shut (and once we bought the ties I wound up LOVING it). So a black vest with a colored tie is another option for you.
  • Options
    I honestly don't agree that "FI should choose what the groomsmen wear"...I think its a joint decision to be made by both the bride and groom, just like all the other wedding day details, save for my dress of course but that's just tradition!

Come on here, I know a lot of guys have little to no fashion or style sense....my FI mentioned for awhile that he wanted to get an all white tux! Thankfully he changed his mind when he heard all the negative feedback from everyone Smile

I don't tell him what to wear but at the same time I'm not going to allow him to dress himself or the groomsmen in something ridiculous just because he's "suppose" to choose it by himself.

Anyways, lucky me, he asked for my input into the tuxes...

I like your ideas about the green striped ties and black vests, I think if we did green vests AND ties it would be too much!

Thanks for the suggestions ladies, we'll see how everything looks when we go to the tux shops later this week!
    image Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    I think you "helping" with fashion sense is fine.  If you were to actually tell the men though, "You're in this," it would be crossing the line.

PPs gave great suggestions though and I'm glad you're taking them to heart!
  • Options
    Fi and I talked about GM attire together - it wasn't just him choosing the attire. We went to the tux shop together, looked at styles, and agreed on the final verdict.
    With that said, I am personally not a fan of colored vests on men (it seems sort of Prom-y to me) but I will say that I do love a colored pocket square to tie in the colors...

My BMs will be in fuscia dresses but GMs will be wearing black tuxes with black vests and black ties...the fuscia will be tied in with their bouts. So that's another option for you if you don't want to do pocket squares - you could keep them simple and classic in black (would look very nice with your girls in black, too) and have the pop of color in their bouts...
    The Bump ate my signature. DD - Apr 2011 DS - expected June 2013
  • Options
    SunnyCanadian, did your FI get a say on what the BMs are wearing?

I think a lot of guys welcome a bit of fashion guidance or simply don't care about color schemes and are happy to let us women take the lead. If that's the case then great, but I just think it's hypocritical when brides refuse to hear their FI's opinion on BM dresses and then insist on choosing the GMs' attire (not saying this is you, just in principle it bugs me).

Sounds like you've got the colors figured out - striped ties sound like a good look.
  • Options
    LOL yah I was planning on getting a coloured sash to add to the BM's dresses but when I showed FI an inspiration picture he mentioned he "hated" the sashes because that's all that stood out! So I scratched that idea, they'll just be wearing a black dress now.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards