Christian Weddings

Women's Ministry

As I posted last week, I am a soon-to-be pastor's wife! Yay! Oh what joy... lol. My DH wants to me be over the women's ministry at the church. I'm ok with that. Here's where you ladies can help me.

Are any of you active in the women's ministry at your church? What do you like about it? Dislike? What would you like to see done differently? If you were once apart of the ministry and now aren't, why did you stop? If you never were apart, why not? What would the ideal womens ministry be like? Any input about women's ministry is appreciated. TIA!

Re: Women's Ministry

• edited December 2011
    Our women's ministry has a bunch of different things throughout the year... I'll try to list some of them!

Toy Drive (Thanksgiving -- Christmas)
    Ladies' First Tuesday (every month, 1st tuesday, a special program, singer, study, speaker, etc)
    Ladies' Retreats (like for a Beth Moore conference,
    Women of Faith conference
    Mission in-church -- helping women in the church (etc)
    Mother/Daughter Tea Time! (yes, dress up, tea, etc, it's more fun than I can describe here)
    At-home women's conference (bring in someone but have a 2-day event

And lately, we just started a new workout program based on Zumba.  We've also had women's workout programs like P90X, Insanity, etc.  Just have 1 or 2 women lead the work-out, and use the video sometimes too.  It's a neat way to fellowship with each other where we can work out without being around men, haha!

I think that might be all I can remember right now.  They don't always list everything on the church website but our church is www.ridgecrest.cc (Ridgecrest Baptist Church of Durham NC).  

Hope this helps!  Good luck!! 
    July 16, Our Wedding Day, is also International Juggling Day!
  • naomikbnaomikb member
    Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Are any of you active in the women's ministry at your church? 
    No.

What do you like about it?
    They have interesting programs and community outreach.

Dislike?
    The youngest person in our women's group is probably 75.   They are very clique-y and I have never been invited to a meeting or potluck or event - realistically I probably wouldn't attend anyways but if they want to make their group involve other members of the congregation and continue after they are gone, they should try to recruit new younger members.

What would you like to see done differently?
    As above - involve younger people, more activities or events that include other people.

If you were once a part of the ministry and now aren't, why did you stop?
    N/A

If you never were a part, why not? 
    I never was invited or felt included to attend an event.  There is no "young women's" group at my church either, which is too bad.

What would the ideal womens ministry be like?
    Inclusive.  Fun.  Good fellowship and friendship.  Lots of community outreach programs (food box, meals on wheels, etc.).  Bible studies. Prayer-shawl making for members of the congregation or their friends/relatives who need our prayers. 
  • heyimbrenheyimbren member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I'm just starting to get more involved with women's ministry at my church.

One thing I really like about it is the diversity. There are all sorts of women who come, and every so oftne they'll do special more focused days to appeal to a smaller group which is nice once in a while.

I also like the events they have to encourage more women to come out, i.e. they're having a cupcake decorating class in February and that's done an excellent job at getting a bunch of the younger women (20-30) to come out. I think one of the coolest parts about it is that wide variety of different ages- there are women there that took care of me in the nursery and there are others that I socialize with on a regular basis and consider my peers.
  • edited December 2011
    I haven't been involved in "Women's Ministry" because at the churches I've been to the youngest woman has always been 15-20 years older than me. However, I have been in women bible studies and I've actually been talking to my mom about this because she's seen some problems and her group is having something difficult working through them so here goes.

I don't know your situation exactly, so if it doesn't apply forget about it. I wouldn't be the leader unless you've been involved in the ministry for a long time and are an established member. Women can be very political sometimes, so it could be difficult if you just joined and then became leader because you were the pastor's wife, it could look like nepotism for a lot of people. Obviously your FI believes you would be great for the just, but I don't think it would necessarily be appropriate for him to just appoint you if there were other potential candidates who had worked their way up through smaller leadership positions in the ministry, i.e. if they had demonstrated more commitment to the ministry. If you're better for the position, great, or if no one else wants to do it, fine, but be really careful.

And if you take the position you have to be prepared to play peacemaker because if you put enough women together there pretty much will be some level of discord. Also, you need to be really humble, because you don't have the experience many of them will have as wives and mothers.I know being younger or less experienced shouldn't hinder you from serving, but it does make it more difficult.

Sorry to be the wet blanket and I really do think it's important for a pastor's wife to be heavily involved in the church, so I think it's wonderful you want to do this. I just wanted to bring up some concerns to make sure you've considered them.  It's just that being a pastor's wife is a singularly unique positon in that your personal life and church service could have a direct impact on how your husband is seen at work.

Best of luck, i'll be praying for you

• golden1215golden1215 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I love our womens ministry but at 27 I am the youngest person by a good 10 years :-/
  • tyboydtyboyd member
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/cultural-wedding-boards_christian-weddings_womens-ministry?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Cultural%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:464687ae-7bc1-4360-9aea-999e11f1e1adDiscussion:31f6a59e-3601-4d45-8728-a916dcdf8308Post:d9fba22c-8648-42f4-b21a-44373edb2f02">Re: Women's Ministry</a>:
    [QUOTE]I haven't been involved in "Women's Ministry" because at the churches I've been to the youngest woman has always been 15-20 years older than me. However, I have been in women bible studies and I've actually been talking to my mom about this because she's seen some problems and her group is having something difficult working through them so here goes. I don't know your situation exactly, so if it doesn't apply forget about it. I wouldn't be the leader unless you've been involved in the ministry for a long time and are an established member. Women can be very political sometimes, so it could be difficult if you just joined and then became leader because you were the pastor's wife, it could look like nepotism for a lot of people. Obviously your FI believes you would be great for the just, but I don't think it would necessarily be appropriate for him to just appoint you if there were other potential candidates who had worked their way up through smaller leadership positions in the ministry, i.e. if they had demonstrated more commitment to the ministry. If you're better for the position, great, or if no one else wants to do it, fine, but be really careful. And if you take the position you have to be prepared to play peacemaker because if you put enough women together there pretty much will be some level of discord. Also, you need to be really humble, because you don't have the experience many of them will have as wives and mothers.I know being younger or less experienced shouldn't hinder you from serving, but it does make it more difficult. Sorry to be the wet blanket and I really do think it's important for a pastor's wife to be heavily involved in the church, so I think it's wonderful you want to do this. I just wanted to bring up some concerns to make sure you've considered them.  It's just that being a pastor's wife is a singularly unique positon in that your personal life and church service could have a direct impact on how your husband is seen at work. Best of luck, i'll be praying for you
    Posted by sister2groom[/QUOTE]

<div>Thanks for the advice. My husband is actually STARTING a church, so there are no other potential candidates as of now. But I will definitely stay humble. </div><div>
    Thanks everyone for your input. Keep it coming!</div>
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards