Wedding Woes

DD's stats, and a pooping story

Since WW loves pooping stories.  Sadly, it was not on the table.

DD is 32-1/2" (95%), 21.8 lbs (25%), head circumference 17-1/2" (10%).  These are pretty much what her percentiles have been for all three since birth, so she's pretty consistent.  Apparently she's a tall, skinny, small-headed kid.

While the pedi and I were discussing DD, who had been exploring the exam room like a little monkey, all of a sudden DD wedged herself into the corner, grabbed onto the chair, squatted, and started grunting and turning red.  Ossum.  I know pediatricians, of all people, have seen it all, but I've never tried to carry on a conversation with a relative stranger while DD took a crap next to me.  I felt a little awkward.

When she was done I asked "Do you need a new diaper?" and she looked me solemnly in the eye and said "Ya-ya."    

Also, the pedi confirmed what we suspected after her 12 mo. appointment, and her gross motor skills are fine.  (Regular pedi was on maternity leave and the NP we saw was ready to put DD in PT because she wasn't walking at 12 mo., which is crazy.)  She walks fairly well now, still plops down on her butt periodically and bounces back up, hasn't mastered running yet.  But she figured out on her own how to crawl down the stairs. 

You may skip the following AW if you like:  DD is also off the charts on communication skills.  She understands practically everything you tell her, and when the pedi asked if she can say two or three words other than mama and dada, I told her DD says TONS of words, even though many sound alike.  Cah = cat, car, cup, mah = moon, milk, more, dah = duck, down, done, etc.  "May-me" = baby.  Pedi asked, "Does she consistently say the same sound for the same thing?"  I said she does, pedi said "Well, that's what counts!"  So basically, I have a kid who's really verbal but not that awesome with motor skills.  Which probably sets her down the same geek path DH and I went down.  I guess it's true what they say about apples not falling far from the tree.

Re: DD's stats, and a pooping story

• I wonder if it has anything to do with being female vs. male?

Interesting.

She sounds adorable, and funny at the pooping.  At least she has nothing holding her back in that regard.
  • oface, I've heard the thing about "boys are walkers, girls are talkers," so you're probably right.  But even for a girl, DD is a little behind kids her age.  Baby leg could totally kick DD's ass in a race (for example). 
  • *Barbie**Barbie* member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper First Comment
    edited September 2010
    i think it just varies kid to kid re: sex - niece was walking by 1 and has always been very chatty. at ~2, it's easy to understand about 75-90% of what she says. 

nephew didn't really start walking until he was about 14 months, and at ~2.5 he's still nearly impossible to understand. he talks, but it's just a garbled mess. one thing he says clearly is "Aunt Ken," which I still find hilarious. 

ETA: also, *hee* @ the pooping. maybe she'll be an early potty trainer!
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_wedding-woes_dds-stats-pooping-story?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special Topic Wedding BoardsForum:47Discussion:60447ec2-b8ac-45ea-a013-b6d837195924Post:8b6fccd9-dca6-44c8-b860-1a4099c8f783">Re: DD's stats, and a pooping story</a>:
    [QUOTE]DD was the exact weight and was one inch shorter at her 12 month checkup.  I have a feeling she'll also be a tall, skinny kid. The verbal thing is awesome!  DD can understand everything we say to her, but she doesn't know many words beyond mama, dada, jay-ja (Jayson), and night-night.  That's about it.  <strong>We are looking forward to more verbal communications so she'll quit screaming at us when she wants something.
    </strong>Posted by tawillers[/QUOTE]
    This has been the best part, by far.  She can ask for a snack, milk, a ride in the wagon, to take her shoes off, etc.  I do not miss the random screaming and subsequent guessing games.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards