Wedding Reception Forum

Hotel requires DJ license & certifications?

The hotel where my sister is having her reception has asked to have copies of the DJ's business license and certifications that he has the appropriate copyrights to play the music.  The man that will be the DJ played at my wedding 6 years ago and the last place didn't ask us for these things.  He does this on the side (is our parent's age--used to do it a lot more when he was younger--before the whole recent copyright issue thing---doubt he knows how to even download music) and probably doesn't have a business license.  Has anyone run into this issue?  Any advice?  This man is a long-time family friend of ours and is doing the wedding as a favor to us...

Re: Hotel requires DJ license & certifications?

• I would call him and ask him.  It's generally illegal to run a business without the appropriate license, so he should have one.  If he doesn't, it looks like you'll have to make a choice between the venue and the DJ.
  • yeah.. that might be bad.  I know our resort requires the same thing.  As an outside vendor they need to make sure he has a license and insurance in case something goes wrong. (someone trips over a cord, speaker falls, etc).  The hotel does not want to be held responsible when it's someone else's equipment and setup.

What differentiates an average host and a great host is anticipating unexpressed needs and wants of their guests.  Just because the want/need is not expressed, doesn't mean it wouldn't be appreciated. 
  • We had similar situation. Our venue of choice required license and insurance on all vendors. Caterer was parent’s friend who does it on the side - had insurance but not license. I spoke with the venue and they wouldn’t budge. We ended up switching but of cost of ‘their’ caterers. First ask if he has the stuff then talk to the venue. In the end she may have to choose - dj or venue.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards