Wedding Reception Forum
Options

Security Guards & Open Bar

Just wondering if anyone has considered getting security for their wedding event. We're close to a major city where many event places require you to hire security, but in our city it is not the "norm" to do so. My fiance and I are doing an open bar, but this scares me slightly... I'm worried that people will get a little too wild or rowdy and I do NOT want this to be a concern on my wedding day. I know it wouldn't be the majority but their are a select few that must be invited (family) and alcohol makes them unpredictable. Ontop of that the police in our city are brutal, they have no tolerance for the public and have been known to "crash" events and weddings. Currently a court case going on where some officers used excessive force. Anyways, I was considering hiring security for two reasons, rowdy guests and to keep the police gang entrance to a minimum. Thoughts?

Re: Security Guards & Open Bar

• Options
    Blueyed228Blueyed228 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited April 2011
    I had a 5 hour top shelf open bar with over 200 people and had no problems.

The venues coordinator and staff kept an eye out for anything out of the norm.

Talk to them and see what they think.  If you think you want security, then get it, but I dont think its necessary.
    045_45-1 photo 045_45-1.jpg
    BabyFruit Ticker
    DX: PCOS/Recurrent losses/MTHFR mutation (compound hetero)
    5 hysteroscopies/2 surgical
    3 Inject IUIs = 2 m/c's and 1 BFN
    IVF #1= BFP. m/c at 7w6d. Needed 2 D&C's and scar tissue removal. Mild OHSS
    IVF #2 = BFP. Severe OHSS. 4 Drainings. TWINS!
  • Options
    I think every wedding I've been to has had open bar (that's about 15 weddings) - I've never seen anything get out of control or rowdy. 

If people want to drink and go crazy, they are going to do it whether the alcohol is free or not.  Cash bars only part guests from their money, not their personalities or intentions.

I agree with blue - talk to your venue and see what they think, but I don't think security is necessary.
  • Options
    Our venue requires a security gaurd. I probably wouldn't if they didn't make me, though.
    Siggy Challenge~Fur Baby~September 2012 Board imageMy Bio Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    I concidered it myself, but I feel like the event staff will keep their eyes open for anything out of control.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    Every wedding I've been to has had open bar as well, and I've never seen security. The staff and wedding coordinator usually will keep an eye on that kind of stuff and try to eliminate problems before they start. But again, all weddings I've been to have been open bar and I've never seen anyone get out of hand and not be able to handle themselves.
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_reception-ideas_security-guards-open-bar?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:5Discussion:277b83f1-e0a9-4bdc-aa8b-eb2b73ef4925Post:1dfb39d6-fcd0-4442-b444-b2ad4ab84a21">Re: Security Guards & Open Bar</a>:
    [QUOTE]Every wedding I've been to has had open bar as well, and I've never seen security. The staff and wedding coordinator usually will keep an eye on that kind of stuff and try to eliminate problems before they start.<strong> But again, all weddings I've been to have been open bar and I've never seen anyone get out of hand and not be able to handle themselves.</strong>
    Posted by SuMmErKuTiE[/QUOTE]

Me too.
    imageimageimage
  • Options
    Even though it's an open bar the bartender still has the right to cut people off. He along with the venue can help you to police it to make sure no one goes to terribly crazy!
  • Options
    Our venue requires a security guard for every X amount of guests if alcohol is going to be served. I think it's a good idea, just in case, but if you don't feel it's needed then it's an extra few hundred bucks you could save.
  • Options
    Our venue required someone.  I honestly thought it was more about having someone keep an eye that no one was going to drink and drive than for anything else.  

We had an off duty cop, and he hung out around the bar and circled the parking lot a few times.  If I hadn't met him before, I never would have even noticed him.  
  • Options
    I dont think it is necessary usually, but our venue/state requires it.
    Since you have concerns about the police though it might be a good idea
  • Options
    Yes I think I'm definitely going to go thru with hiring security. That is the LAST thing I want to worry about on my wedding day. Hopefully the fact that security is there will inhibit the police from feeling the need to make their presence known and inspect wedding guests as well.
  • Options
    my venue has security included. the area is a bit sketchy in downtown cincy so they are there to make sure people get to their cars without being getting bugged by homeless people...
    BabyFruit Ticker Photobucket
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards