Georgia-Atlanta

Any Other Anthony's Fine Dining Brides?

Just asking because I went in the other week and was shocked at some of the renovations. Anyone else having the same experience?

Re: Any Other Anthony's Fine Dining Brides?

• edited December 2011
    We looked at Anthony's to host my SIL's bridal shower.  We met with the event person there, and she said, "you are more than welcome to see the dining room, but we have an event there later this evening (it was 10am) so you'll have to look through the windows."  WTF?

It was also a pain in the arse (and dangerous!) to get in and out of the driveway due to shrubbery overgrowth. 
  • leahrachel521leahrachel521 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I am also an Anthony's bride.  We discovered that they took out the double staircase when we went in for our cake tasting a few weeks ago.  I was very sad to see that, as I had thought that it would have made for great pictures.  Amy and Mary said that the contractor who is renovating the upstairs porch had to take it out, but I don't really know why that was necessary.  They assured me that all renovations will be done in time for my wedding, which is in August, and that it will look great.  I've signed a contract, so I can only hope for the best.  Are there any other changes that I am not aware of?
  • edited December 2011
    Yes, the green stained glass has been removed (sold! I almost died when I heard) and the downstairs window cases have been painted brown. There's a bar in the back left room now, and a temporary bar outside the ladybug room. Polo players also appear to be multiplying...

Changes like that may not bother you, but I would stick my head in if I were you just to be sure.
  • ritakellyritakelly member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Oh, no. Maybe you gals should talk to them about this if you have a contract. That is not acceptable to me (unless they told you before you signed your contract). The venue rental I chose was based on its current look. If they do subtle things like add new flowers or something that's one thing. But If they changed a major piece of the facility I would be PISSED!
  • edited December 2011
    Personally, I've just moved to a new venue. It's stressful, but it will work out. I don't trust the ownership to not make more changes before my wedding, and the way they handled this was not OK. They are trying to argue against giving me back my deposit, but as the venue I booked is not the venue they're trying to give me, I don't see that they have a leg to stand on.

From what I can tell, the venue is in the process of changing ownership. The poor wedding department, from what I can deduce, is under orders not to tell brides about the big changes taking place. And they are big changes; the space is basically being turn into a men's club. It's all completely unethical in my opinion. But I'm hesitant to say more until my deposit is safely in hand.

I'd encourage any other brides there to look in and be very forward about demanding details on future changes, lest they be disappointed on their weding day.
  • leahrachel521leahrachel521 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011

@ LlamaWed218- when is your wedding?  I can't imagine changing my venue at this point, but now I am starting to get scared.  I was under the impression that the ownership in place right now was relatively new.  I'll definitely need to talk to them.  Thanks for the heads up.

• edited December 2011
    My wedding is coming up very soon, actually. So moving required a laaarge deep breath and a big leap of fath. However, for me it was the right choice. The anxiety of changing venues was less then the anxiety of wondering what other changes would be made. You may well feel differently, so just have a very frank converastion with them and do what's right for you.
  • laxgardner29laxgardner29 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011

Class Action Lawsuit...I agree unethical and very poor customer service. We were only told 9 days before the wedding that there was no liquor license. They want us to buy our own alcohol, bring it to them with a check for the equal amount. ARE YOU KIDDING ME? I am devestated and nervous about the whole event.
    Also, the new owner must have told them not to talk to anyone either...I can't get anyone to return my call.
    Is this legal? When you buy an establishment, aren't you responsible for upholding  the existing contracts?

• edited December 2011
    You are responsible for upholding existing contracts, but I highly doubt the existing contract said anything along the lines of "in cases of extreme renovation."  I would bet  that existing brides could easily cancel and get their deposit back.  If the new owners give them a hard time, a letter from a lawyer ought to suffice.  If not - I'd take them to court.

You signed your contract for how a place looks and is operated THEN.  If they do major renovations to the extent that the location no longer resembles the original, then I would say that's room for canceling/getting deposits. 

How ridiculous.

In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_georgia-atlanta_other-anthonys-fine-dining-brides?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:58Discussion:1917cd0a-ee38-45d6-917f-d981350fbda7Post:0bf7f906-7fa6-489f-9923-a214bc99e7e8">Re: Any Other Anthony's Fine Dining Brides?</a>:
    [QUOTE] We were only told 9 days before the wedding that there was no liquor license. They want us to buy our own alcohol, bring it to them with a check for the equal amount. ARE YOU KIDDING ME?
    Posted by laxgardner29[/QUOTE]

^ Pretty sure that's illegal.  I don't think you can serve liquor AT ALL if your business doesn't have a liquor license. 
  • edited December 2011
    Whoa. I'm shocked to hear about the alcohol thing, although I suppose I shouldn't be, things have gotten so shady so quickly. It's really sad how quickly an Atlanta institution can fall, but at least that confirms my decision to switch venues.

The contract also says nothing about changes to the venue or construction. The owner is still resisting returning my deposit, but I do plan to engage a lawyer if need be (thankfully, I have some in the family who'll take care of it was a 'wedding present'). I'm hesitant to say any more about the situation over there until my deposit is in hand, however, other than to strongly, strongly, encourage brides booked there to go in for themselves and see what's going on. God, what a mess. As stressfull as getting these 'change of venue' cards out is and booking some new vendors, its nothing compared to how worried I would be now if I had chosen to stay there. So unethical.
  • edited December 2011
    Anthonys has deleted their website. If you call their building, nobody will answer. There is however a voice message of Amy saying you've reached the 'New Yacht and Polo Club, Formally Known as Anthony's.'

Unbelivable.
    First Comment
    edited December 2011

So- Update.
    4 days before our wedding the new owner of "the Yacht and Polo Club" called me that the wedding would have to be cancelled, unless we gave him $4000. He blackmailed us. My neice had a  stroke one year ago and we had NO OTHER OPTION than to pay or possibly have health problems, and he knew that. I know for a fact that he was aware of the circumstances 7  days before he told us, waiting for the last possible minute to twist our arm.
    The old owner has filed for bankruptcy and believes he does not owe us anything. Either way, we were charghed twice I am going to all the news stations, wedding sites, liquor board, AJC and whoever else will listen.

• edited December 2011
    That's insane. We should probably make a new thread about this, to make sure any other brides involved see it.
    First Comment
    edited December 2011

So if  anyone wants to join my complaint about this, email me at laxgardner@yahoo.com. I am the aunt of a bride and have already been contacted back by the media. The old owner is protected by media and the new owner thinks he is dealing with a bunch of idiots. If we ban together, this will not happen to another bride. If you feel you have been wronged please let me know.

• edited December 2011

I had no idea anything was going on with Anthony's. I booked and gave them deposit in May. My wedding is in October. My mother in law to be asked me for the website to see what the place was like, when she couldn't find it she called my fiancé and told him that they changed the name and all this other stuff. I’ve been trying to call them, and no one has contacted me to let me know about the change. I would have never known if she didn’t try going to their website. I don’t know what to do. I feel so let down.  

Trying to Conceive Ticker
  • TheCranberryTheCranberry member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Soon3B, you should get in touch with them immediately, visit the site, see the people in person and find out if they are going to honor your contract with Anthony's (without any additional money being paid).  If they are willing to honor the contract, SIGN A NEW CONTRACT with them that has all of the terms of your old contract and acknowleges whatever amounts you've already paid and sets out exactly what you still need to pay.  If they won't do this, I would find another venue and try to get my money back.

I would also talk to them about any future renovations they plan to do and get comfortable that you like them and that they will be done in time.  You could try to get everything in writing and state that if it's not substantially as described in your contact and complete by a certain date you can get your money back and don't have to go with them.  That won't however, help you deal with the hassle of having to change venues at the last minute.

First Comment
    edited December 2011
    http://www.facebook.com/home.php?sk=group_135819676493322&ap=1
    Freind me on Facebook! and join my group. If you have lost money to Anthony's /Yacht and Polo Club (like we did $5100), lets get it back together! Jennifer Valimont
  • edited December 2011
    We are supposed to be getting married at Anthony's on July 3, 2011. I cannot get anybody to return my calls or e-mails. I do not know what to do. Any help would be appreciated.
  • lraerogerslraerogers member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    We are supposed to be having our rehearsal dinner at Anthony's in July 2011. My

Fiancé called yesterday to give them our final headcount and he was informed that Anthony went out of business. It is now the Yacht & Polo Club…. And that the new owner is not honoring our contract. My invitations have already been mailed out and our $2,000 dollar deposit will not be refunded. They want us to come in and sign a new contract. That’s b.s. I’m not dealing with liars. I am getting my legal counsel on them and hope they go out of business!

• edited December 2011
    They will not even return our calls!
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    So if you haven't already read, on another blog, Suarez replied.  It's under the athens version of Att: Anthony's and Yach and Polo Club Debacle. Interesting he will not return phone calls, but will respond on a blog. I responded to him as well. Iraerogers, if you haven't already join my facebook group, we are all trying to come up with a legal plan.
  • jksayersjksayers member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Have you gotten anywhere with getting your deposit back? I just found out this moring through the Bert Show and there is no way I am going to have my reception there now! I need to get my almost $2k deposit back.
  • Danyell25Danyell25 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I was just getting ready to say I heard about this on the Bert Show this morning       (Q100). So heartbreaking. I hope y'all get somewhere with getting your deposits back.
  • GeorgiaTeacupGeorgiaTeacup member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I actually went there late April 2011, toured, and worked out an estimate to determine what our deposit would be.  I wanted to pay the deposit on the spot, but my fiance said we should give it a few days.  I emailed them a couple weeks later when I was ready to view the contract and pay the deposit, but never got a response.  The website was taken down and when I finally tracked their number down, I found out their name changed... I'm considering myself very lucky that I waited!
  • edited December 2011
    What can we do now?money is gone and so are our staircases ;). Email me any recommendations ,sabre712@gmail.com.My date is sept.24,I have a little time.
  • edited December 2011
    Check out the FB page :)
    Many companies are stepping forward to offer help! It's great!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards