Pennsylvania-Philadelphia
Options

Readings & Music

A spin-off of our pet peeves poll.....

Did you have readings at your wedding?  If so, what were they?  Did you pick them yourselves or did someone press you to have them?

What song did you walk down the aisle to?  Did you bridal party walk to a different song, and if so, what was it?
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Readings & Music

• Options
    edited December 2011
    Did you have readings at your wedding?  If so, what were they?  Did you pick them yourselves or did someone press you to have them?

2 Readings- one from each of the testaments.  Old Testament- Song of Solomon 2:10-15.  New Testament-1 Corinthians (yeah, I know).

They were recommended by our officiants. Since it's an interfaith wedding, we wanted readings that talked about love, but not overtly slanted towards either faith.   I also love the Corinthians reading, so pffft.

What song did you walk down the aisle to?  Did you bridal party walk to a different song, and if so, what was it />?
    Bridal Party- Canon in D.  Me- Trumpet Voluntary.  Wagner is not normally played at Jewish weddings, and I dislike the Bridal March anyway.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    No readings.  I would have loved to pick out one or two, but there was enough going on in the ceremony to add in something that wasn't necessary.

What song did you walk down the aisle to?  Did you bridal party walk to a different song, and if so, what was it?
    We all walked to Intermezzo from Cavalleria Rusticana.  I'm not joking when I say I had this picked out years before I even met DH.  I love this piece and always imagined myself walking to it.  It was my only criteria for hiring a string ensemble to play for the ceremony, they had to know (or learn) this song.  We walked back up the aisle to "All You Need is Love" by the Beatles. 

Ditto PP - the string trio played classical music before the ceremony and we instructed them not to play any Wagner.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    We did a reading that had to do with hands. Not the same one that RA has, (which is lovely, and I want to borrow it) But even with that, our entire ceremony from the first bridesmaid down the aisle to the last one up the aisle was under 15 minutes. I walked down to Cannon in D. I think they did too.

This time, we're bucking tradition. As long as the church allows it, I'll be walking down to 'Waiting on a Woman' by Brad Paisley. It's an inside joke b/w FI and I, however everyone understands why that would be the song we pick. (We both had massive crushes on each other for years... 6 years.) Otherwise, it'll probably be cannon in D again. If we can walk down to the other song, everyone will walk down to the same song, as I'll walk down during the 3rd verse.
    Anniversary
    TTC since 12/17/11
    BFP 02/19/2012
    M/C 03/05/2012 *we love you, angel* BabyFruit Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_pennsylvania-philadelphia_readings-music?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local Wedding BoardsForum:105Discussion:bb6a44b1-06dd-4ed7-a5b1-8684fa14b154Post:734eb238-ce38-44e4-9073-0df4e0ace42f">Readings & Music</a>:
    [QUOTE]A spin-off of our pet peeves poll..... Did you have readings at your wedding?  If so, what were they?  Did you pick them yourselves or did someone press you to have them? What song did you walk down the aisle to?  Did you bridal party walk to a different song, and if so, what was it?
    Posted by caraellen23[/QUOTE]

We had I Corinthians. And I happen to love it and always wanted it at my wedding. So sue me. =P

My BP processed in to "Canon in D" and I had "Trumpet Voluntary". Our recessional was Ode to Joy.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic image BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Did you have readings at your wedding?  If so, what were they?  Did you pick them yourselves or did someone press you to have them? Yes, 1. Union

What song did you walk down the aisle to? Cannon D
    Did you bridal party walk to a different song, and if so, what was it  - Vitamin String Quartet - She's my kind of rain

We all walked back up to Randy Travis - For ever and ever
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
  • Options
    edited December 2011

Old Testament Reading: Sirach 26:1-4, 13-16 (Happy the husband of a good wife...)

New Testament Reading: Colossians 3: 12-17 (Put on, as God's chosen ones, holy and beloved, heartfelt compassion...)

Gospel: Matthew 7: 21, 24-29 (the house built solidly on a rock one)

And for songs... the bridal party is entering to Jesu, Joy of Man's Desiring, and I am entering to Pachelbel's Canon in D.

Paprika: I like it when you burp in my ear. It really turns me on.

Baby Beach, Aruba, 2011
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Posy Palette Blog
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I know that there are people who like Corinthians... and that's totally fine!  It just has bad memories for me.  My parents had a picture in their bathroom that had the "love is patient" on it... and my parents are split up now, and it wasn't pretty.  Plus it reminds me of their BATHROOM.

I love the beginning of that reading.  If it would end at the resounding gong part, I'd be be a happy camper. 

Baby Beach, Aruba, 2011

Posy Palette Blog
  • Options
    Amerbutt81Amerbutt81 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    We did Union and What is Love as our readings.  The whole bridal party walked down to Cannon in D.  I know it's trite, but I still cry everytime I hear that song.  :)

I have no clue what we walked out to.  The wedding march?  The music that was playing was the last thing on my mind!
    Mrs. JEGs
    est 7.17.10
    [IMG]http://i43.tinypic.com/2md4eb4.jpg[/IMG]
    Hunter Fillmore
    October 1, 2011

Lizzie In Progress
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    We have to have old testament, new testament, and a Gospel.  As well as intercessions- for non Catholics is prayers asking for things like praying for peace, those who can't be with us, our troops, ours with include the Queen.  

The church we are getting married at will only allow one song for all of us.  So it's Trumpet Voluntary.  Ode to Joy for the end, which was a discussion because it's the theme for the EU and FI has some issue or other with that, he's weird.  
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    NCV--We're doing Ode to Joy instrumental for the recessional, also.  And I have to pick instrumental music for prelude (pre bridal party... like my mom coming up) and I have no idea.  Also instrumental (which can be non-liturigical) for the Unity Candle ceremony. 

My organist suggested "One Hand, One Heart."  I kind of despise West Side Story (which I'm sure is blasphemy coming from a musical theatre nerd, but whatever) but I kind of like it.

Baby Beach, Aruba, 2011

Posy Palette Blog
  • Options
    amy727amy727 member
    edited December 2011
    Thanks for posting this we need to decide on music for the ceremony soon. 

We will have readings, but we do not get to pick them because our wedding is the week after Easter.  They will be the standard Sunday mass readings. 

I'm not sure about songs.  We are meeting with the music director next Friday. 
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    FutureMrsTCTFutureMrsTCT member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Did you have readings at your wedding?  If so, what were they?  Did you pick them yourselves or did someone press you to have them? Yes and they will be a poem from Kahlil Gilbran, and a Cherokee Wedding Blessing. Aside from the Handfasting Reading - which is sort of required since I'm sure no will have a clue as to what we're doing.

Picked everything myself - and made sure to have FI's input to narrow them all down. All are really short.

What song did you walk down the aisle to?  Did you bridal party walk to a different song, and if so, what was it? I'm walking down the aisle to one of two things. Either FI's cousin Joe will play Coheed and Cambria's "Wake Up" on the acoustic guitar (he just broke his hand - so if it's not healed and better by April - which he thinks it will be - then we'll be going with option #2)

Option #2 is The Vitamin String Quartet's version of "I'll Be" from Edwin McCain. We really want to use Wake Up as all the songs before the ceremony begins including the processional will be Coheed and Cambria.

For the Processional we're having VSQ's version of "Three Evils", and the Recessional we went with VSQ's version of Paramore's Hallelujiah.

I know. FI and I are quirky. It fits us though.
    *~~*The Future Mrs. Coulter-Thurley*~~*
    Siggy Challenge Pic with BM
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    LadyJ10LadyJ10 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I have absolutely no memory of what we did for the readings. Opps. They were all from a really awesome Book, though.

Seating of the mothers and grandmother: Be Thou Fount of Every Blessing
    the ladies: Canon in D
    Daddy and me: Rutter's For the Beauty of the Earth (with a vocalist)
    Recessional: Trumpet Voluntary

Very very sadly, I just got a headache trying to remember these... it hasn't even been that long!
    And they're the five best friends that anyone could have, the five best friends that anyone could have! Photobucket
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    this is awesome as I need to start thinking about this.  Flame me, but i love 1 Corinthians. I have it in this little picture frame thing I got before I went to college and I still have it.

I also have this other letter that my RA gave me my freshemen year of college.  I don't have it memorized but it was like a letter from God to a Christian (the Christian is asking God why he hasn't found true love).  It reads something like this:

"No my child, not until your are full and complete in me will you find the most perfect love I could give you..." it's obviously longer than that.  IT'S BEAUTIFUL. I was going through a rough time and it made me cry when I read it but it comforted me. Is this familiar to anyone? I will have to type it up and share with you as I think it would make a beautiful reading for any faith. And I wonder if I'd be allowed to use it- since it's not technically a Bible reading?

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    If you're doing a Catholic ceremony... they want Bible readings and Bible readings only.  Sorry. 

Can you maybe include the poem in your program??

Baby Beach, Aruba, 2011

Posy Palette Blog
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    yeah RA I know- it's too long to include in the program. Well my cousin is the priest who's marrying us :D sooo...I may have some leeway. Maybe I can get him to incorporate it into his homily or something. I am curious if anyone else has heard or read this, as I have no idea where it came from.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I think that's a lovely idea.... seeing if he'll put it in the homily.  I've never heard it before, though.  There are a lot of really lovely anonymous religious poems out there.  At my Engaged Encounter weekend, they read us one about Hands.  Gzilla had the poem framed for me for Christmas.  That's the one that Paprika wants to steal :)

Baby Beach, Aruba, 2011

Posy Palette Blog
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    i agree RA plus it would be awesome to give our mass a personal touch. i'll have to find the Hands one :)

Altho I will really bawl if he reads this letter, it gets me every time.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Old Testament Reading:  Genesis 2:18-24 “...Therefore a man shall leave his father and his mother and hold fast to his wife, and they shall become one flesh”New Testament Reading:  1 Corinthians 12:31-13:8a High five to my fellow love is patient ladies ;)Gospel:  Mark 10:6-9 “...What therefore God has joined together, let not man separate”Processional: Jesu, Joy of Man’s Desiring (same for everyone)Dedication to the Blessed Mother:  Christmas LullabyRecessional:  Wedding March

We actually picked our reading while we did our pre-cana. They were in our booklet and we liked them, nothing was forced.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    DH picked the readings.  We didn't want any readings, but that would have made the ceremony super short, so we added them just for the hell of it.  I don't remember the titles off the top of my head, but they were 2 poems, not religious.

Moms & gparents walked to the instrumental version of Norah Jones' "Come Away With Me"

BM/MOH walked to "Claire de Lune" (aka the song playing when Bella and Edward are in Edward's room in Twilight lol)

Me & Dad walked to "Forrest Gump Suite" (aka the instrumental song that plays as the feather floats around in the Forrest Gump movie)

• Options
    edited December 2011
    Music (all have links to listen, FYI, since I copied it from my bio):
    Music for the seating of family:
    www.youtube.com/watch?v=RdWVfrZ3MeQ">Jesu, Joy of Man's Desiring Bach

Music being considered for processional:
    Canon in D Pachelbel

Music for processional of the Bride:
    Allegro Maestoso from
    www.youtube.com/watch?v=lOoiuMYc5Wc" target="_blank">Watermusik Handel
    Music for the recessional:
    Rondeauwww.youtube.com/watch?v=dVUJjPzRb2U" target="_blank"> Mouret

Lesson readings:
    Galatians 5:22-23
    Psalm 100
    John 15:9-12

I actually researched quite a bit before settling on readings- I really wanted to make sure that it related to faith, marriage, and to us.  When we told our pastor what we chose, he was pretty impressed, considering they are not "usuals".

We were going to have Old Testament, Psalm, New Testament, Gospel, but we had to cut time (it was over an hour as it was), so we cut the Old Testament.  Though, if we did do it, I really liked the Old Testament that RA chose.

• Options
    Northstar1808Northstar1808 member
    edited December 2011
    My reading was "Union" by Robert Fulghum and my BP and I walked down to Canon in D. They walked for the slow part and I walked down during the fast part which is my fav. section out of the song.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards