Pennsylvania-Central
Options

H'orderves only reception???

I’m trying to do something different and unique for my wedding reception. I was thinking of doing an extravagant h’orderves only reception without the sit down meal (how many people really eat the meal). I’ve never been to a reception without a meal so I am having a hard time conceptualizing how the idea would work. Any ideas/suggestions? Thanks
Anniversary

Re: H'orderves only reception???

• Options
    edited December 2011
    I'm going to be honest with you and this just comes from my experiences.  1st your really going to have to have it at a non meal time if just doing h'orderves so people aren't starving.  My cousin is having his at 8:30pm for example.  For me I see it as a cost cutter, which is a great idea if that's what your needing to do, but people look forward to great food more specifically a great meal and at the wedding I've been at and at ours everyone ate.  We did stations so people could choose what they wanted.  Don't get me wrong it can be pulled off amazingly but it has to be done right.  The few I've been too we left hungry and unimpressed b/c it was definatly a money issue and that was evident.  Definatly don't count it out, just do it up!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I definitely agree with pp. It can definitely be pulled off amazingly, but typically meals are expected for certain reception times. Also, in my many wedding experiences, EVERYONE eats the meal. Actually, it's one of the things that I always look forward to at weddings. This is of course, just my personal opinion.When you say you want to do something different, is it because of money? Because if it is, there are other ways to cut down costs other than skipping a meal. Perhaps you can do a lunch with small sandwiches, salads, and H'orderves? I went to one wedding this year that was just H'orderves at 6:00 and it turned out nice, but there was no wedding ceremony-it was just a reception. The wedding was destination. I must admit though, even with eating prior to that I was still very hungry because they didn't have enough variety or heavy H'orderves. Another wedding I went to three weeks ago was a picnic style lunch with mini sandwiches. It was served at 2:00 and it was really delicious and filling. It was buffett style and seemed very inexpensive (although I'm not completely sure).You could definitely pull it off, don't let this reply discourage you at all. People do this all of the time and it turns out great for them. I definitely don't think it's a bad idea, just be careful on how you execute it. HTH.
  • Options
    MeowsAlotMeowsAlot member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I am doing this--my wedding is in 2 weeks and everyone keeps telling me they are so excited about it not being a dinner.  We're getting married on a Friday night so the reception won't start until after 7.  It is very clear on the invitations that it is H'orderves (if you do this, make sure guest know!!!), so people shouldn't necessarily come hungry, but we have a TON of food that will be prepared.  We wanted something more social and have a family full of vegetarians, people who are allergic to foods, and just all around picky eaters so this was our best bet.  There are no assigned seats, but about 20 extra seats so people can sit with whomever they'd like if they even want to sit.  We met with a caterer who had a list of ideas and really had fun with it.  It wasn't a money issue for us, but rather time, we had to move our wedding ahead a year and plan it in 6 weeks--but if it is money, that's fine! There's nothing wrong with planning for your budget.  If budget is good, plan for some great H'orderves! I agree with pp that time is a factor--I wouldn't do this if we were having the reception at 6, but our ceremony doesn't even start until 6:45.  People will expect a meal if you eat earlier.I'm really excited about it--a sit down meal just wasn't going to work with our time frame, but I think it's going to be fantastic :) so choose what you will enjoy that day!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I was just at a wedding where we thought the cocktail hour was the meal because of how many options there were, so I think if you do a lot of option it can be really neat.  Just to give you an idea at this particular wedding there was a cold station (with a variety of veggies, salads, etc) a pasta bar, a hot station (calamari, a variety of beef and chicken dishes, pierogies, etc) and then passed trays with mini pizza, quiche, cocktail shrimp and a few other things.  There were so many options people filled up just trying everything!!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    mamie329mamie329 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    A few things to keep in mind: 1. Appetizers can often surpass the cost of plated meals. 2. Guests would need to know beforehand so they can prepare themselves and eat ahead. 3. Mealtime receptions should necessitate a full dinner. Especially because appetizers are generally lacking in several food groups and nutritional value.
    image image
    Lucy Elizabeth 10.27.12
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I'm originally from New Jersey where we have over the top cocktail hours.  Depending on what you serve, your guests will be unbelievably full.  You would state that it is a Cocktail Reception and make sure you have plenty to choose from.  If you need info, you can page Erikag23 on the NNJ board--she had one and was thrilled. Lisa Beth
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards