Catholic Weddings

Groom's Prayer

I stumbled across this prayer a few years ago in my Mom's prayer book which I always borrow. . I thought it was so beautiful and it made me pretty teary-eyed. It also made me sad, because I knew deep down inside, the guy I was dating was not the kind of person to humble himself before God and put so much trust in him.

Fast forward to the present, and God has sent me this kind of man and I couldn't be happier. I'm getting married in 11 days and plan to make this into a prayer card for my fiance and give it to him along with a letter the night before our wedding. I thought I would share it. The words can certainly work for a bride too. :)

(I apologize for any typos, I had to type it while reading from the prayer book)

Groom's Prayer

My God, on this great day I kneel before you at the dawn of a new life.
I tremble...when faced with the realization of the lofty commitment which I take upon myself.
Ahead of me lies a life of love joined to the woman I have chosen. I pledge to you fidelity, devotion and service to her
and to the children you will send us. By myself I am not capable of this honored task but your help and grace will conquer all.

Never as today have I felt your divine presence. I need your presence. Make me the man you expect me to be. Mold me into
another Joseph. Make me resemble that silent and just husband of Mary. Give me pure love and noble sentiments, a love as true
as Adam and Eve's before sin tainted paradise.

Give me love for her which extends far beyond myself, which is not limited or measured by days, weeks, years. My it never
fade when age and infirmities rob us of youth. Give us both an understanding of higher things; and make that knowledge
blossom into wisdom.

In joy, in sorrow, in triumph, in my failure, I choose this woman for my queen, my friend, my support, my other self, until death,
and ever beyond...for death will not quench my love.

Bless our home with your sacred presence. Give us the joy which you left with that unknown couple at Cana in Galilee. Two lives
this day are knitted into one. Together we will love and cherish the family you send us. Together we will present ourselves to you at the 
Journey's end. Make us, O my God, the couple you expect us to be. Walk with us through life and heaven will be begin right on here
on earth. Thank you for creating the woman I love; thank you for giving her to me. Amen.

Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: Groom's Prayer

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards