Catholic Weddings
Options

Napro/NFP doctors -- what's your experience?

Who here has seen a Napro or NFP doctor?  I've been to one before, but I wasn't charting at the time.  I'm just curious as to whether she'll really look at my chart, whether she'll pick up on the same issues my instructor is concerned about , etc.  I like to feel prepared for an appointment.  I'm going in a couple weeks because my Creighton teacher said I should, and I really want to get the most out of it as possible. 

Re: Napro/NFP doctors -- what's your experience?

• Options
    I really, really love my new doctor (Nickie, I can't remember if she's the one you recommended, but I LOOOOOVE her).  She didn't look at my chart at my first appointment, but I was there for irregularities and just by describing what was going on she was able to come up with a few ideas.  I think it's really great to see someone who is well-versed in NFP when that is what you're choosing to use.
    Anniversary

• Options
    lalaith50lalaith50 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment Name Dropper
    edited July 2012
    I saw (have?) a NaPro doc. She is notoriously late (like, waiting an hour in her office after your scheduled appointment time before she sees you is pretty standard...) but that's b/c she really spends time with patients- much more than the insurance companies reimburse her!

I brought my chart, but since I've only been to see her once and that was for more of an annual check-up, even though I had some NFP questions, she didn't look at it; she did ask some specific questions that a non-charting person wouldn't necessarily know, like exactly how many days of spotting do you get, and how long is your luteal phase.

I'm sure since you're there for the specific purpose of her checking out these issues (that's what it sounds like?) she'll see them, and of course you can request she look at your chart if she blows off what seems important. Of course, just like anyone else, some NFP doctors are really awesome and helpful, and others, while being very knowledgable, might lack some "bedside manner" and need you to be a little more assertive in requesting additional tests or advice if you don't understand something or feel they arent taking your concerns seriously.
    Anniversary
  • Options
    I've been seeing one for about six months now for various issues and she's been super helpful with things I've been dealing with so far!  She's also referred me to other doctors within the medical group she works for that have been not necessarily NFP-exclusive, but familiar enough with it to understand where I'm coming from.  I think it can really depend on where you're at as to whether an NFP-specific doctor will be helpful or not, yet.  If you have cycle irregularities or trouble TTC... I'd definitely find an NFP doctor because they'll try to address your challenges in the most direct way.
  • Options
    My napro doc is amazing. He's late too because he's either spending time with his patients, or delivering a baby. 

he looks at my charts every single time. I bring the 3 most current and he puts them all up and studies them. He points out what irregularities he is not worried about, and which ones he is, and explains everything about why he's doing what he's doing.

He just sent a friend of mine who miscarried a card--- "Thoughtfully and prayerfully in this month your baby was due, we wanted to let you know we are thinking of you", that he signed himself. When another friend of mine moved into town I recommended his office (my doc's parter because mine wasnt taking any more patients), and she told him her history, including miscarriage. He wrote down the miscarried baby's name in the chart.

Another friend of mine who goes to him thought their insurance was changing and our doc wouldn't be covered...she told her husband...we will pay full price or change insurance. No way am I switching.  He called me personally on a Saturday afternoon to discuss test results. 

No matter what specialty, I try to find an NFP-only doc. It may seem like it might no matter (my ENT is nfp only), but I find that most have a completely different view of healing, and avoiding medicating if possible. 
  • Options
    I loooove my NFP doc. I've been ultra-impressed with all of our interactions. Through my H, I know (at least slightly) all the NFP docs in my area and they are all fantastic -- truly -- but I really love our guy.

My experience with my charts is that he took at my very irregular charts and quickly determined that we needed to do some tests (blood work, ultrasounds, pelvic exam) to figure out what was going on and got the ball rolling on all of those immediately. He saw the same concerns as my instructor.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    Prof., we only have two NFP docs that I know of here in OK, so I imagine we've seen the same one.  I'm glad you've had a good experience!

I've seen my NFP ob/gyn about four times since March to address PCOS, and, while I appreciate her attitude and dedication to educating the community on the truth about contraception, I haven't been thrilled with her office.  For example, I drive four hours round-trip from another city, so she said we could arrange to do some follow-up over the phone.  I was called to come in to discuss some test results, and when I arrived, I was told that the results were inconclusive, and I'd need to repeat the at-home collection.  Clearly no one had actually looked at the results before I was sitting there in the exam room <ergh>.  I've actually decided to see an endocrinologist to make more progress on the underlying factors of my PCOS, but when we're in need of help addressing my probable infertility or, God willing, obstetric care, I'll likely go back to her.  Oh, and she glanced at my chart at maybe two of the appointments and confirmed that I'm not ovulating.
    "Do not fear, for I have redeemed you; I have called you by name; you are Mine!" (Isaiah 43:1)
  • Options
    I soooo wish I could have a Napro or even NFP doc but we have none near where I live :(
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards