Florida-South Florida
Options

Miami & Keys Honeymoon

Hey yall:

I'm semi-regular over on the New Orleans board, busy planning my wedding in my hometown.  My fiance and I have decided on a honeymoon in Miami and the Keys and would love recommendations from you locals!  We have decided to spend our first four nights on Duck Key, then three nights in Key West, finishing it off  in Miami for two nights. 

Here are our plans/hopes for each lcoation:
- We'd love to go explore some of the lesser keys within a short driving distance of Duck Key
- We'd also love to do some snorkeling, shopping, and eating in Key West.  I've been considering Latitudes on Sunset Key as a dining option one night.  We're staying near the southernmost point.
- In Miami, we're staying in the Brickell area and would like some shopping and eat at some nice restaurants.  We're really into hip/new restaurants and love to try restaurants with connections to Top Chef and Food Network people.  

Any other recommendations are welcome!

Re: Miami & Keys Honeymoon

• Options
    Oh, and does anyone have experience renting a car from Royal Rent A Car?  They have the cheapest rates out of MIA, but there are hardly any reviews online.  Thanks!
  • Options
    Check out Coral Gables for shopping and dining options since you won't be too far from there. It's a very nice location to have dinner and enjoy a walk. If you want to go shopping in Miami then check out Dolphin Mall. It's an outlet mall.
    October Siggy! Love the Groom's Expression! Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    edited July 2012
    Wynwood is another place you can check out but some spots look a bit sketchy. It's the Art District in Miami and they have cool places to eat. In Brickell there is an area where there several places to eat and bars. If you don't mind going south then go to Sunset Place and go eat at Whisk....delish southern food! In the Gables, I love Ortanique on the Mile, Il Gabbiano is awesome (pricey but so good) and it's close by Brickell, and try Crazy About You in Brickell.

As far as Top Chef contestants..check out the following: Howie Kleinberg has his own place called Bulldog BBQ. I went there once since it's close to my alma mater and had a great meal.  Jeff McInnis is at Gigi's and Angela Randazzo is at Water Club. Water Club and Bulldog BBQ are not far from each other.

Also, if you will be in Miami on a Sunday then I highly recommend reserving for brunch at the Biltmore (in Coral Gables). I went there recently and absolutely loved it especially all you can drink mimosas (not watered down at all!)! If you are a seafood lover def check it out. I don't remember the price but it's around $50-$75 per person but it is so worth it. They never kick you out and you can stay there as along as you want.

My last recommendation (highly recommend) is to check out El Pimento in Miami Lakes. It's a small little place but it has the best Spanish tapas I have ever had in Miami. Absolutely love it and our out of town friends have loved it when my FI and I have taken them there.
  • Options
    On Miracle Mile, which is in Coral Gables, there is a magnificent place to have brunch called Angelique- it's so yummy!!! When FI and I were dating he would take me here for brunch on the weekends which is my favorite meal of the day!! Sometimes they have wine and beer tasting dinners which I have always wanted to try but somehow we only eat brunch there!! Good luck, you will have so much fun wherever you go in Miami!! 
    image Le Creuset 5qt Oval French Oven in Caribbean Blue Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    Thanks yall!  I'm starting to get really excited!
  • Options
    In Key West, I have eaten at Latitudes, Hot Tin Roof and had a sunset dinner cruise on Islescapes. Each one of them was excellent! The best food was Hot Tin Roof by far, its at Ocean Key which is 0 Duval Street so perfect location, if anything check out their Happy Hour at Sunset Pier. The best total experience was Islescapes by far! Captain Alex is fantastic, he cooks your dinner on his grill on the back of the boat and the most people he can have are 3 couples at a time. Latitudes is a nice experience as well, but make sure you request an outside table for the view of the sunset. Have fun!
  • Options
    annieoldfieldannieoldfield member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited July 2012
    You must go to Blue Heaven in Key West for breakfast!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    We try to make it down to Key West a couple of times a year, so I have some suggestions.  First of all, you'll kick yourself if you miss out on Lattitudes.  The whole experience is tremendous.  It is one of my favorite memories I have.  The food is great, but it's the experience that "makes it."  I've also done the Islescapes cruise with Capt. Alex.  It's fantastic, too.  There's a little dessert restaurant on Pervonia St. called "Better Than Sex."  It's got great cozy ambiance and delish desserts (everything has a "naughty theme" to it.)  If you want a burger, go to Fogarty's.  Nine One Five is great, too.  Bottom line, everything in KW is great...there's so much competition that it wouldn't last if it wasn't.  Have fun, and drink some rum for the rest of us!
  • Options
    We try to make it down to Key West a couple of times a year, so I have some suggestions.  First of all, you'll kick yourself if you miss out on Lattitudes.  The whole experience is tremendous.  It is one of my favorite memories I have.  The food is great, but it's the experience that "makes it."  I've also done the Islescapes cruise with Capt. Alex.  It's fantastic, too.  There's a little dessert restaurant on Pervonia St. called "Better Than Sex."  It's got great cozy ambiance and delish desserts (everything has a "naughty theme" to it.)  If you want a burger, go to Fogarty's.  Nine One Five is great, too.  Bottom line, everything in KW is great...there's so much competition that it wouldn't last if it wasn't.  Have fun, and drink some rum for the rest of us!
  • Options
    In Brickell, you have to go to Perricone's!!! I love their food. They are also by Mary Brickell Village that has tons of restaurants and bars. Other options: Ballan's, Dolores but you can call me Lolita, Oceanaire, Kukaramakara also has great food if you have patience with the service.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards