Just Engaged and Proposals

Just engaged but how to pick "THE DAY"

we'd been talking about marriage forever. I planned things out in my mind, but now that we are engaged every wants a date. How did you pick your wedding date and when is it?

Re: Just engaged but how to pick "THE DAY"

• We wanted Spring b/c we were living in and got married in Texas, and Spring would be the best weather for an outdoor ceremony. I'm a teacher, and in Texas we have a state test called TAKS that the whole world stops turning for, so I wanted to wait until after the test in early March so I wouldn't be saddled with two massive undertakings at once.  We chose to do it after Spring break to give me that week to be able to do any last minute things. The following weekend was the anniversary of both my grandparents' weddings, so we decided it was a lucky weekend and went with that.  Congrats and happy planning!
    What did you think would happen if you walked up to a group of internet strangers and told them to get shoehorned by their lady doc?~StageManager14
  • We wanted to have a lot of time to plan, so we decided to aim for our next year's anniversary. We got engaged on 11/18 and decided on 10/19 because it's the day after our four year anniversary.

• Another girl posted the exact same question on the wedding recap board and alot of others answered. I would check it out!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I obviously thought about time; I don't like to rush into things so it was important to me to have enough time to plan everything without having to rush like crazy. Second thing was definitely the weather.

I've always pictured myself getting married on an outdoor ceremony under the night sky; not only is spring my favorite season but also, the weather is perfect for how I envisioned my wedding day. Not too cold, not too hot, just right.

We decided that we wanted an April wedding. Honestly, the day of the month was more determined by the availability of the venue that I wanted. I fell in love with a venue and ended up picking the weekend that was free at that point. 

My wedding is far from now but I like to give myself a lot of time. I'm getting married on April 25th, 2014.

Congrats on your wedding!
  • Before we got engaged I wanted to get married 12/13/14, awesome date, but when we got engaged I realized that I couldn't wait that long. Talk with your fiancée, mine said "a year", I knew I wanted to get married in fall/winter so I wanted to get married right before valentines day, which is his parent's anniversary. It got moved because of my mom told me "it always snows that week in February." So we moved it to March 15 (the Ides of March) and we aren't changing it, we are very anti-superstition, I graduated high school on a Friday the thirteenth, so we're going with it. Like I said, talk to future hubby, settle on a season, and go from there. :)
    Wedding Countdown Ticker image
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_just-engaged-proposals_just-engaged-but-how-to-pick-the-day?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:683Discussion:49bdc86d-9d3e-48ff-9702-0edd316e1cddPost:9daee5e9-cc52-4116-8e7d-0d2cd7e4dec5">Re: Just engaged but how to pick "THE DAY"</a>:
    [QUOTE]I obviously thought about time; I don't like to rush into things so it was important to me to have enough time to plan everything without having to rush like crazy. Second thing was definitely the weather. I've always pictured myself getting married on an outdoor ceremony under the night sky; not only is spring my favorite season but also, the weather is perfect for how I envisioned my wedding day. <strong>Not too cold, not too hot,</strong> just right. We decided that we wanted an <strong>April </strong>wedding. Honestly, the day of the month was more determined by the availability of the venue that I wanted. I fell in love with a venue and ended up picking the weekend that was free at that point.  My wedding is far from now but I like to give myself a lot of time. I'm getting married on <strong>April 25th, 2014.</strong> Congrats on your wedding!
    Posted by Isabellaporte[/QUOTE]

"Miss Rhode Island, please describe your idea of a perfect date. "

"That's a tough one. I'd have to say April 25th. Because it's not too hot, not too cold, all you need is a light jacket. ""
     Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • I wanted a winter wedding, but I didn't want December because there are too many holidays, and I didn't want February because Valentine's Day, so we ended up January 25th - exactly a month after Christmas so I'll never forget (trust me, FI won't have trouble forgetting.  He was all excited yesterday about celebrating our "27th month anniversary".  How does he keep track?)  I'm excited for it, I just hope it will be good weather!

• In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_just-engaged-proposals_just-engaged-but-how-to-pick-the-day?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:683Discussion:49bdc86d-9d3e-48ff-9702-0edd316e1cddPost:337cf727-bb32-4f4e-b5ca-988acf5462ae">Re: Just engaged but how to pick "THE DAY"</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Just engaged but how to pick "THE DAY" : "Miss Rhode Island, please describe your idea of a perfect date. " "That's a tough one. I'd have to say April 25th. Because it's not too hot, not too cold, all you need is a light jacket. ""
    Posted by sydaries[/QUOTE]<div>
    </div><div>
     Hahhaha sydaries, I love it.</div>
  • We chose July 26, 2014 and we got engaged last February 29th.

Our date is now officially August 16, 2014, lol. We literally had to change our date 6 times in the last 3 days. It was rediculous trying to find a Saturday in the summer at one of the venues we wanted.
    Needless to say our date has no sentimental value, just convenience. I wanted a long time to plan and wanted a Saturday in the summer. Just do what works for you :)
  • We're both from Portland! Unless you're from Portland, Maine. Anyways... it rains a lot here and outdoor weddings have about a 3 month window. I kinda like the idea of either a backyard wedding in the woods or a wedding under some trees. Then it would just be looking at what weekends are open.

Sometimes the little details you enjoy help narrow down the date. You picture a day or evening wedding, you're in a lodge with snow or a meadow with roses. Maybe you love a certain style of dress or when you look at different seasonal weddings you're drawn to a specific time.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • We knew I had to be graduated from college, but we decided we didn't want to wait much longer, so that gave us a 3-month window before I start grad school. I wanted a least a month after graduation, which put us into late June at the earliest (and early August at the latest). We saw that June 28th was a Saturday, and that's a special day for us, so we went with it!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_just-engaged-proposals_just-engaged-but-how-to-pick-the-day?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:683Discussion:49bdc86d-9d3e-48ff-9702-0edd316e1cddPost:bfe2a5f2-8e5a-4d73-a3d6-84021c9aac57">Re: Just engaged but how to pick "THE DAY"</a>:
    [QUOTE]We're both from Portland! Unless you're from Portland, Maine. Anyways... it rains a lot here and outdoor weddings have about a 3 month window. I kinda like the idea of either a backyard wedding in the woods or a wedding under some trees. Then it would just be looking at what weekends are open. Sometimes the little details you enjoy help narrow down the date. You picture a day or evening wedding, you're in a lodge with snow or a meadow with roses. Maybe you love a certain style of dress or when you look at different seasonal weddings you're drawn to a specific time.
    Posted by nwwoodsybride[/QUOTE]

That's awesome! But we don't actually live in Portland anymore :( We moved to New Mexico last August but we are still getting married in Portland. We will also most likely end up moving again a few months before the wedding so we decided having a "central" location for the wedding would be ideal :)
  • We got engaged end of Oct. 2010 and were married July 2011. We knew we had to do summer because I teach and we wanted to take a HM right after. June we thought would be too quick to plan and I wanted more time off after work ended.

July 9 was a GM's wedding OOT and he was doing a HM after so we wanted to give him some time to get back and get setlled, but Aug would be too rushed with school starting, so we settled on July 23.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Vacation
  • We got engaged in November and didn't want to wait a long time.  Father in law was dealing with chemo for melanoma and we wanted to optimize the chances for him to be at the wedding.  Since I'm a teacher it was either spring break or summer.  I thought end of May after school gets out, but it is oppressively hot here then, so we went with March, the end of our spring break.  It worked out fine and everyone was there.  Originally I wanted the first Sat. of spring break,but it was the day before Easter and neither of our churches would let us.  So we went for the next Sat.  Good thing because my mom broke her hip 10 days before my wedding and had hip replacement surgery.  She wouldn't have been able to make it for the earlier Sat., but she got out of the rehab hospital the day before my wedding.  BTW, my dad also had a pacemaker put in the day before the wedding and he made it too.  It was quite stressful, even more than most brides.
  • FI and I picked September 5th because it is our birthday.. Backwards? I guess you could say backwards. haha. The digits of both our bithdays add up to nine (Example: 18th 1+8=9) The ninth month is Septmeber. Both our birthdays are in may, the fifth month, so September 5th. I know, completely irrelevent and immature in some ways but we were amused by it. Our first choice would have been the anniversary of when we started dating, April 10th but we didn't want to wait an extra year.

• In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_just-engaged-proposals_just-engaged-but-how-to-pick-the-day?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:683Discussion:49bdc86d-9d3e-48ff-9702-0edd316e1cddPost:742dcfef-3f25-48cc-9be1-136b80dc62f2">Re: Just engaged but how to pick "THE DAY"</a>:
    [QUOTE]FI and I picked September 5th because it is our birthday.. Backwards? I guess you could say backwards. haha. The digits of both our bithdays add up to nine (Example: 18th 1+8=9) The ninth month is Septmeber. Both our birthdays are in may, the fifth month, so September 5th. I know, completely irrelevent and immature in some ways but we were amused by it. Our first choice would have been the anniversary of when we started dating, April 10th but we didn't want to wait an extra year.
    Posted by Jayceestar27[/QUOTE]

That's a super cute way to pick the date! :)
    Wedding Countdown Ticker image
  • I'm really practical and since my mom is paying I wanted to get the best deal possible. I found my venue (I knew the moment I walked in), I knew they were running a special for THIS summers left ovr dates. I asked if I would be able to get that special for any other time, they said they would honor it for January-march 2014. I wanted January but was peer pressured into March for the more favorable weather. They gave me a choice of the 3 open Saturdays in March and we chose the 22nd. My birthday is Christmas Eve, I've always had to share it with Christmas. Our date is 10 days before my fiancé birthday, I like teasing him by saying I'll be getting him anniversary/birthday combo gifts for the rest of his life. :)
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • We sort of stumbled upon our date. FI wanted a summer wedding and I wanted a winter wedding so we decided on fall. FI would get his summer, outdoor wedding, and warm honeymoon; then in six months we would get to go on a wintery vacation.
    We then wanted a few months after we moved in May, but I didn't want to spead forever planning. So that lead us to the month of August. Then we have a lot of out of town guests so we settled on the last weekend of August since it's a three day weekend. Originally we where eyeing September 1st, the Sunday of that weekend, but after calling the venue we wanted we found that Sunday was booked but Saturday was open! So we ended up with 8/31/13. :)
    imageDaisypath Anniversary tickers
  • I struggle with this. My fiance and I just became engaged Friday. We've been friends for 5 years and have dated only 3 months so things relationship wise happened quickly for various reasons. My father has been diagnoosed with stage 4 colon cancer and has had continuous chemo therapy for over 2 years. We have no timeline. I have spoken to the doctors and they remain positive that he can have 15 more years and are not giving up yet, thus not wanting him to give up, thus zero discussion on mortality. With Dad's chemo schedule being shifted from the 6 weeks on and 2 weeks off to now he has had this one strand of chemo for 8 weeks straight, when is the 'good time' for our date? Do we just choose and hope fo the best? Do we send the save the dates and have a quick turn around to 'I do' time? Any advise will be openly accepted!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards