Hawaii

Reviews on Turtle Bay Resort & Kahala Resort

Hi All,
Just doing some preliminary research on venues, and the 2 that are sticking out right now are Turtle Bay Resort and Kahala Resort. Any feedback on either venue would be appreciated. 

We are wanting an outdoor ceremony, overlooking the ocean, and preferably an outdoor reception again overlooking the ocean. Drawback with Kahala is there is no amplication (microphones, speakers, etc) allowed outside, not sure if that is the same with Turtle Bay. Kahala is closer to Waikiki though which will mean we don't need to rent large tour buses to transport our guests. 

We are looking at having about 80-100 guests. Any opinions, advice, or other appropriate locations are welcome! Thank you! :-)

Re: Reviews on Turtle Bay Resort & Kahala Resort

• edited December 2011

I sent you a private message

Anniversary
  • AKWinterBrideAKWinterBride member
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Okay, I may be biased but I am going to say a big 'NO' to Turtle Bay.  We spent our honeymoon there last month and it is sooooo run down.  They charge a lot and you expect it to at least be nice but there was paint peeling, vents leaking, hair everywhere, it was just gross. 

I checked out the little glass wall chapel they have, which is pretty, but only big enough for about 15 people. 

AND - the front desk staff is crazy rude. 

I would definitely, definitely go to the Kahala. 
    Photobucket Photobucket Anniversary
  • edited December 2011

Thanks for the advice. Definitely gives me something to think about. I've never actually been inside Turtle Bay. It just looks so nice through pictures, and I had a friend's relative that got married there a few years ago and I heard good things. Is the whole resort run down like your room was? Kahala is significantly more in price and has some packages that I am not that keen on, but I will definitely have to keep doing more research. Did you get married in hawaii? If so, where did you get married?

Thanks again for the advice.

Alicia  

• AKWinterBrideAKWinterBride member
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Yes, we got married in Hawaii but in Maui at Olowalu.  All in all, the grounds are nicely kept and the beach at TB was nice, but the whole hotel needs to be redone.  I have heard that the beach cottages and villas are nice but they are pretty spendy. 

Also, when were at TB it was cloudy and really windy.  It rained for a very short period of time every day, and the wind was pretty chilly.  Granted, we were only there for a week so it may have just been a bad time weather wise.  If you want some reviews other than from me, look up TB on Trip Advisor, there are a ton of reviews there.  If you have any other questions, let me know! 
    Photobucket Photobucket Anniversary
  • icode4foodicode4food member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Turtle Bay is run down and has been for years.

Kahala ceremony locations are not private at all. My friend got married there and hotel guests were watching the entire time. The yoga class was in sessoin behind the ceremony and some kids were playing in the ocean in direct line of view during the ceremony. You also have to walk thru the pool area to go between ceremony and reception areas. Kahala also forces you to use their vendors which up their prices over what you would to use the same vendors outside the Kahala.
    Suzy Wedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards