Louisiana-New Orleans
Options

Short or long? I'm struggling....

Okayyy, when I first planned my wedding, I wanted short bm dresses, then my mom told me long dresses would be more formal, and so it was decided...but now I'm struggling because I think I like the way short looks better.  What would you do?  They will be black and I like the look of satin.  It is a formal wedding, at St. Joseph's Church on Tulane, followed by a reception at Southern Oaks.  It is in November.  It is a formal wedding but we're really an informal couple and I wanted to pick something the girls could wear again.  I know I have a lot of time, but I'm super busy because of full time work and grad school, and I just want this to be decided on.  I asked my bms and they are too sweet and just say "it's whatever you want because it's your day!"  One has told me she would like short.  What would you guys do???  Thanks so much

Re: Short or long? I'm struggling....

• Options
    What time is your wedding? Afternoon or evening? And when you say it is a "formal wedding" what exactly does that mean to you? Will you put black tie on invitation?
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    I am doing my wedding at a church on St. Charles and then doing the reception at Southern Oaks as well. I decided on this dress from Alfred Angelo:

http://www.alfredangelo.com/collections/styles/7123

We are doing the dress in black and the belt/trim in white. It was the most flattering style that fit everyone and they will be able to wear it again.
    I think as long as you do a well tailored short dress, it can look formal (especially with shoes, accessories, etc.).

HTH!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    RYLZRYLZ member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited January 2012

I'm assumming you're not having "black tie" on the invitation, and just mean it will be "dressy".  In that case, I just think it depends on how short as well.  a80Lady's knee-length dress is lovely and still looks "formal" enough to me to stand next to a guy in a tux, but say, a mid-thigh length, flowy empire waisted dress would look a bit a casual in my opinion.

Also, I wouldn't stress to much about a dress they can wear again.  I currently own about half dozen former bridesmaids dresses girlfriends of mine thought I could wear again.  I've never worn any of them again :-)

• Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_louisiana-new-orleans_short-long-im-struggling?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:84Discussion:1dc83f0e-f5cf-4a54-8331-16e556084b79Post:6e671632-7afa-47d9-a24f-4275da8ea8b0">Re: Short or long? I'm struggling....</a>:
    [QUOTE]I'm assumming you're not having "black tie" on the invitation, and just mean it will be "dressy".  In that case, I just think it depends on how short as well.  a80Lady's knee-length dress is lovely and still looks "formal" enough to me to stand next to a guy in a tux, but say, a mid-thigh length, flowy empire waisted dress would look a bit a casual in my opinion. Also, I wouldn't stress to much about a dress they can wear again.  I currently own about half dozen former bridesmaids dresses girlfriends of mine thought I could wear again.  I've never worn any of them again :-)
    Posted by bezlu[/QUOTE]

Exactly!!  No one ever, ever wears them again ;) they will just get you back by asking you to be in their wedding and wear something you will also never wear again!
  • Options
    So true i have 9 and have not worn any. I think another thing to consider is that often shorter dresses are more affordable than longer dresses from the same designer.
  • Options
    a80Lady, Im using that same dress in coral with a gold sash! I agree, I picked it because it s flattering and can be used again.  I think tea lengh dresses are formal enough, done right
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    Go with your gut, if you originally thought about short dresses there must be a reason.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards