Michigan-Detroit
Options

Distance between ceremony site & reception?

For those of you who are having your ceremony at a church (or other location that is different from your reception) how far is the distance between the two locations?  Also, what is the time gap that you have between the two?
Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: Distance between ceremony site & reception?

• Options
    edited December 2011
    I really struggled with this.  We fell in love with a reception site in Bloomfield Hills, but the only Catholic church we could find that would marry us was downtown.  Google says it's a 25 minute drive, but we've done it in less.  

The gap was another difficult thing, because I personally find gaps really annoying, so I really wanted to avoid having one.  But a 2pm ceremony time was the only option, so there will be a gap of about one hour.  The way I see it, this way people can take their time and drive as slowly as they want to up to the reception.  A couple people are dropping off or picking up kids during this time.  Those staying at the hotel can drop off their cars and ride the shuttle over.  And if they end up getting to the reception a little early, I don't think it will be a big deal.  
  • Options
    Melgor78Melgor78 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Ours are about 20 min apart and we have a 3 hr gap but other than family most of our guest won't come to the ceremony.  It's local so ppl can go home and wait or do what ever.  We chose to have this time for pictures.  Were not seeing each other before so we really need some time for us.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Mine was about a 25min drive from the church to the reception hall.

My wedding starting at 3pm and my cocktail hour started at 5pm.

Reception/dinner started at 6:15
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    We have about a 5 minute drive, but do have 1.5-2 hour gap.  Reception starts at 5:30 and the only ceremony choices were 3 or 5.   I really wanted to have time to take pictures in between (Fi is adamantly against seeing each other beforehand).  Both ceremony and reception are on Belle Isle and there are a lot of things to do and see there, so on the programs I am going to have a list and a map of the attractions so people can occupy their time.  Hopefully people don't mind the gap too much.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Ours was about 25 minutes apart- Shelby Twp for the church, Clarkston for the reception. Wedding ended at 4, reception started at 6. Wasn't my favorite option, but it seemed like 20 minutes as fast as the day was going! :)

A bunch of people brought their kids to the ceremony and took them home in between, some went and changed, and I'm sure some went to the bar. I think for the most part, people will be prepared if there is a long delay. I wouldn't do a 8am ceremony and 4pm reception though!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Our ceremony will start at 4:00. It should last until about 4:45 and then the cocktail hour starts at 6:00. It's about a 15 min drive from the ceremony to the reception site. And that gives our guests enough time to go back to the hotel, freshen up and get on the shuttle to get to the reception hall.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    My ceremony and reception are about 10 minutes away from eachother.  I have a 2 hour gap also, we want to go downtown and get pictures and don't want to see eachother before.  I look at it this way.  The  people that are truly important will be at the ceremony no matter how long the gap.  I personally think it is fun to find a little bar between and have a few drinks before the reception starts! 
  • Options
    larzhopelarzhope member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Mine are 35 mins apart.  I know it's a long distance, but extended relatives don't really show up to the ceremony in my family.

Ceremony: 3:00-3:45
    Cocktail hour starting at 5 or 5:30 (we havent decided)
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    IF we start on time, our ceremony will start end at 4:30. We plan on doing an exit from the church, so people will probably start leaving for the reception at about 4:45.  Our reception is about 25-30 minutes away in traffic, and our cocktail hour starts at 6:00pm.

I don't want people to feel like the have to rush, and I don't anticipate people making a mad dash to the recetption right when the ceremony ends, so I think the timing will be great.  Especially for the out-of-towners who aren't familiar with the area.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Ours are about 15 minutes apart as far as driving. 2:00 Catholic Mass ceremony, 6:00 reception so I'd say there's about a 3 hour gap
    Updated 9/21/2010
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
    377 Invited image
    338 Ready to rock image
    40 Party poopers image
    0 still making up their minds image
  • Options
    sheshedukeshesheduke member
    Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Hi ladies,

This is actually my first post. I am still in the planning process my wedding is 09.10.11 and I am trying to figure this exact thing out. We will not be seeing each other before and I want to take some pictures in Downtown as well. We are getting married in Detroit and the reception is in Westland which is about 15 minutes away. So what time should I make the wedding and reception if I want to take pictures at teh church and downtown before the reception. I can either have teh reception from 6-12 or from 7-1?
  • Options
    erinkris76erinkris76 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    hey shesheduke.
    My wedding is also 9-10-11. We are also getting married downtown Detroit at noon and having the reception in livonia at 6pm.  we had a choice of 2 oclock ceremony. But we thought is wasn't enough time to take pictures-We want to go to Belle Isle, ford field, the fist,etc... Plus we don't know if the Tigers are having a game that day. We just don't want to feel rush that day.  So for the BIG GAP we are going to have a pre-party at my brothers house for sandwiches and stuff, also im thinking making list other activities can do for the in btw example-movie times, bars in the area, mall.
  • Options
    sheshedukeshesheduke member
    Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    erinkris76  I love my 09.10.11 brides. That is sucha  great idea. Maybe we will have some light sandwhiches and stuff right there at teh church with a list of things to do in the area that way we can still go and get all the photos we want. Maybe I will see you at the fist or on belle isle. :)
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards