Wedding Etiquette Forum
Options

Ok I'll ask knotties then!

I posted below but I'll post my situation, tell me what you guys think I should do cause DH and I are lost:

We lost our jobs in Mississippi and there were no new jobs.  We put our house up for sale and moved in with my parents outside DC about a month ago because there are jobs here.  I am two months behind but we both just started new jobs this week.  Not a single person has looked at our house.  Not one showing.

We CANNOT live with my parents indefinitely until someone buys the house.  My parents are very manipulative, they constantly talk about us behind our backs (my mom drinks a lot at night and she's not as quiet as she thinks she is).  I'm grateful to them for letting us live here, and trust me, I'm doing ALL chores around the house and we're going to start paying some rent now that we have jobs but this cannot go on much longer.

If I rent the house out, there's a good chance it'll get trashed.  Our neighborhood is lower income and I've seen it happen to many houses on the block.  We will probably be fighting for rent each month.  I can't pay the house AND pay for rent here in DC which is twice as much as my mortgage.  What should I do?
Image and video hosting by TinyPic
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Ok I'll ask knotties then!

• Options
    If your house has been on the market for 2 months and not one person has looked at it, then your agent is doing something wrong.

Have you had any open houses? Are you priced too high? Is the house a wreck?

I'd grill my agent on what he/she is doing to move this house. If you don't get a good explaination find a new agent. Have you talked to your lender about a short sale?
  • Options
    List the house with a realtor who will actually show it, for starters.

My friends have had their house for sale for a while now.  They had for sale by owner for a few months and had people through every weekend.  They've had it listed with a good realtor for two months now, and the realtor brings people through almost every week.  There is no excuse for having no one come through in over 2 months if it's being properly marketed.

Second, per your post below... continue to try to negotiate with the bank.  Ask for higher ups until you get someone who can help you.

Or say screw it and just stop making they payments and let it go into foreclosure.

Good luck!
  • Options
    Like I said before, sounds like you need a new realtor.
  • Options
    edited November 2009

My house isn't a wreck, we did a lot of work to it when we lived there, it kinda looks awesome (minus the blue carpets).  We left most of our furniture to stage it thinking it would sell faster.  Here is the listing:

http://www.mlsfinder.com/ms_nwmar/kw_702/index.cfm?action=listing_detail&property_id=263690&searchkey=0a3cd1ac-080e-ffdc-1f14-61028fd9e33d&npp=8&sr=1

I don't know what she's doing, not sure if it's open house but she put it in the magazine, she has it linked to craigslist etc.  She does suck though, we only signed 3 months with her. We're definitely switching after her time is up.

Will the bank even help us since technically we have jobs now and on paper we can afford the mortgage?  DH also pays a hefty amount in child support, sooo that might also help explain our sitch.

• Options
    Ok so we need to stay here about 2 months anyway to pay off debt, at which point the contract will be up so I'll switch realtors and see about getting some movement going on the house before I consider doing something drastic.  I mean look at the price tag!  People are going to get like 7% of their money back in the freaking tax credit! 
  • Options
    Are you listing it to make any profit on it?  If you are, it may be for the best to list it close to what you owe on it, just so you can cut your losses. 
    Holy Crap. We survived the first year!
    http://tidetravel.weebly.com/index.html
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickersLilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Options
    Nope, no profit.  The crappy real estate lady said seller generally pays closing costs (that's what happened when we bought it and my friends said the same thing so I didn't question it) plus with the comission, we'll be out of pocket about $6K if we get a full priced offer.
  • Options
    If your last option is to rent it, I would suggest doing a background check, credit report and get refferences from all potential tennants.

That's a tought situation to be in. I hope it all works out
  • Options
    New agent, for sure.  Interview several, get references, sales statistics, etc.  Ask them all what they'd do to help it sell fast.  And, keep working on your lender to try to get some progress. 

But, if there are no jobs available there, that might be contributing to the really slow market. 
    DIY & Planning | Married 

Married: 2010
    Mom to J: 2011
    Mom to H: 2014

Dresses may be easier to take in than let out, but guest lists are not. -- kate51485
  • Options
    Yeah, it's really bad.  It's just south of Memphis, not like in the middle of nowhere in MS, but they were doing a lot of construction and no one is building right now.  It's sooo bad back there.  DHs family all lives there and are checking on the house, his one aunt has flipped and sold tons of houses so I'm thinking about maybe giving her the job.  She's retired and she has to be busy all the time, she's almost done renovating her house so this could maybe be her new project.  I just hate it, I want that house GONE!
  • Options
    I wouldn't wait till your contract runs out. In the meantime, ask her how she's marketing the house and confirm that she is. Are you on realtor.com? On all the local real estate web sites? Have you done an open house? Has she put some ads in the newspaper? Does she think you're priced too high?

Talk to your realtor and see what she thinks the problem is. One thing I could see immediately from your listing is that your photos don't show some of the things you've highlighted in the listing -- I see no pictures, for example, of the wood burning fireplace or the new ceramic tile in the bathroom. You could get rid of some of the pics that don't really show anything (for example the one bedroom that just shows a bed -- that doesn't sell a house!) and replace them with photos that really show off the house's highlights.

I know it's hard -- our house has been on the market about 2 months now. We currently own 2 houses and that's a killer too. But at least make sure your realtor is doing everything she can to move the house.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards