New Jersey
Options

Palermo's Bakery/Cake Stand Question

Any brides who have ordered your cake here? I am curious about what you did for a cake stand. I understand that they don't really provide one? I don't want to spend $40+ on a big stand I'll never use again- I'd like to know what others are doing

Re: Palermo's Bakery/Cake Stand Question

• Options
    uppereastgirluppereastgirl member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Do you need a cake stand?  Does your venue have one?  Our venue put our cake on the table for us... it didn't even cross my mind to put it on a cake stand. 
  • Options
    melissa721melissa721 member
    First Anniversary First Comment Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011
    My cake was from Palermo's but my venue provided the cake stand. I made it a point to ask Paulie. I was confused about this as well lol I also confirmed with my venue that they had one.

bfp 1 - m/c 1.31.11 @ 10 weeks 

bfp 2 - baby born via c-section on 5.4.12 @ 37 weeks

TFAS since February 2013--BFP on cycle 1!

bfp 3 - blighted ovum/d&c on 4.13.13 @ 8 weeks

SA #1 - Slightly abnormal shape, #2 - very low count

Follistim + IUI 3x = BFN, BFN, very late BFP with super low progesterone --> c/p

Moving on to long protocol IVF with ICSI and PGS in August 2014...how in the holy hell did I get here? FU 2IF.

• Options
    deedee1017deedee1017 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I just did my tasting there on saturday and i was totally turned off by them. i met with joann and she was loud and so pushy. a cake is included with our venue but we have to go to either palermo's or Le Petit Gateau so we tried both. Le Petit Gateau was Sunday so palermo's was first. We want a different kind of cake with a chocolate outside rather than your typical white. joann said that would be considered an upgrade and we'd have to pay the difference. we said we didnt mind because we'd rather have what we want. afterall, how much can a frosting change cost? well apparently a lot more than we thought. Joann insisted that a chocolate ganache outside would cost $800 out of pocket and a chocolate fondant cake would cost $1000 out of pocket. meanwhile, we wanted just plain chocolate and we were going to get the flowers to decorate it from the florist. so a cake with no design, all cake and fillings included in our standard package, and the only upgrade being the frosting would cost us whatever the venue is paying PLUS $800-$1000 out of pocket!! so ridiculous! needless to say we ended up going with Le Petit Gateau which included any kind of outside frosting/fondant, much better tasting cakes and fillings, and a much much better customer service. anyway, I didn't want to turn your posting into a rant but the reason i responded is because someone that was there at the same time as me didn't like what palermo's puts the cake on and joann was telling the couple they could pay extra for fondant to cover the bottom of the ply wood which is what they put their cakes on. if not, they have this frilly lace type thing that goes around. you can ask your venue they may have a stand for you to use.
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    My venue's non-traditional. We're doing a rooftop ceremony overlooking the city and taking over the 3 floors underneath for the reception. BC they're not a hall, the answer on the cake stand is a no...so I either have to cough up the cash for a 16" stand or figure something else out :(Dee Dee. I'm really sorry about your experience. Mine was really the opposite. We met with Paulie, he was helpful, straightforward, charged a fair price per slice and our cake was only $500! And I have some design in fondant and hand made sugar flowers- http://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/BAlP2lAYtT8JPPdZQYq7Yg?feat=directlinkI'm sorry!
  • Options
    deedee1017deedee1017 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    wow! thats exactly the cake i wanted except my florist was going to provide fresh flowers. my cake is supposed to be included with the venue-- they have an agreement with my venue that they will pay palermos. she told me IN ADDITION to what my venue was paying them i would have to cough up another 1000 or 800
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Options
    melissa721melissa721 member
    First Anniversary First Comment Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011
    I would look around on ebay or amazon. You would be surprised what you could find for cheap.

bfp 1 - m/c 1.31.11 @ 10 weeks 

bfp 2 - baby born via c-section on 5.4.12 @ 37 weeks

TFAS since February 2013--BFP on cycle 1!

bfp 3 - blighted ovum/d&c on 4.13.13 @ 8 weeks

SA #1 - Slightly abnormal shape, #2 - very low count

Follistim + IUI 3x = BFN, BFN, very late BFP with super low progesterone --> c/p

Moving on to long protocol IVF with ICSI and PGS in August 2014...how in the holy hell did I get here? FU 2IF.

• Options
    denisse tdenisse t member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
         You could definitely look on Amazon or Ebay... I went to Palermo's Bakery and Joanne recommended buying one. I was a bit hesitant but she actually took the time to help me find one online during my appointment. It only cost me about $35 for a 16" stand. She helped me out by ordering it under her wholesale account.    I was at Palermo's not too long ago and worked with Joanne and had a very pleasant experience.  She showed me the package which was included and explained that each hall pays a certain amount per slice and that certain cakes would not be included.  I never felt limited because she was willing to help me stay within the my budget.       I priced out similar cakes to the one I got from some other bakeries FYI Carlos in Hoboken...prices start at $12 a slice for a basic fondant cake! So, thanks Palermo's!   
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards