New Jersey
Options

Thank You's

Need a little help regarding Thank You's.  We decided to use preprinted ones for people that gave us money, and hand write ones for people that gave us actual gifts.  Can anyone post a sample of theirs so I can get ideas layouts and what to write in the preprinted part?  I will prob lay it out myself and get them printed online.
1st Groom

View our FOR SALE items
http://tinyurl.com/3jjv7vy

Re: Thank You's

• Options
    edited December 2011
    I can't post it, cuz i don't have anymore.  But we just put, "Thank you for sharing our special day with us". But I wrote personal notes on ALL of them regardless of if it was cash or a gift.
    imageAlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Lilypie Maternity tickers
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    You pre-printed the note? Really?  People who gave you money are just getting a pre-printed "Thank you for your generous gift.  Love, Mr and Mrs. User"?  Personally, we hand wrote every single note (all 125ish), and I think it is tacky to pre-print them.  But, I pretty much wrote (with some variation to make some of them more personal), Thank you for your generous/kind/etc gift!  We will be using it to help decorate our new home/buy our new home/enjoy our honeymoon.  It was so great seeing you at the wedding!  We hope you had a great time.  Having friends/family with us helped make our wedding extra special! love, bride and groom
  • Options
    mbcdefgmbcdefg member
    5 Love Its First Comment Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011
    We decided to use preprinted ones for people that gave us moneyIf it's just going to be a pre-printed message and your names, PLEASE don't do that. Handwrite something to everyone, even just "Thank you for the generous gift! We really loved having you at the wedding. Love, Bill and Mrs. Bill."Otherwise, if you just mean that the cards will have a message and then you'll additionally write something else besides that, I've seen people print things like "Thank you for sharing our joy."
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    This is what we used, but we also wrote a personal message with 90% TY's on a separate card. http://www.figtreeproductions.net/GALLERYS/KristenSalTYC/pages/Back2.htmSorry, not clicky
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    And for actual gifts, the note started off, with Thank you for X, then put how we were going to use it (we got very few actual gifts, most were kitchen related, china, crystal, etc).  So, we went with can't wait to use it for entertaining for entertaining friends and family for some of them. 
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Yeah, you all are right, I guess we have to hand write them all.  Problem is we both suffer from left handed syndrome and have horrid writing (I used to get D's in penmanship) and learned to type 50 wpm in 6th grade just to avoid writing!
    1st Groom

View our FOR SALE items
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    User, can you tell me how to lay it out an where is the best place to print online? Is it easy? I hate this stuff and  I do NOT want to go through my photog.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I'm a left handed freak, and have nice handwriting.  You must write with the lefty curve user.  The key is to turn your paper on an angle.  That's how I write.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    User - even if you have someone else write them (no one would know)...it's still more personable.  I have HORRIBLE handwriting too! but I still did it, since DH has 3 year old handwriting.
    imageAlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Lilypie Maternity tickers
  • Options
    kewltifkewltif member
    First Anniversary First Comment Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011
    I've gotten these and it has annoyed me.
    Pregnancy Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I have horrible handwriting and when I wrote our e-party thank yous I think they would have been much "prettier" and easier to read if they were printed, so i see where you're coming from. But yeah, I think handwritten is the right thing to do.
  • Options
    mbcdefgmbcdefg member
    edited December 2011
    I'd rather get a handwritten one-sentence thank you, than a pre-printed paragraph.We went to a wedding a couple of years ago that was EASILY over $100K, for a nice couple. We didn't get a thank you card until nearly a year later, and it was just a pre-printed, "Thanks for coming and thanks for the lovely gift" and that was it (they didn't even sign their names). And all I could think about was how tacky it was ... you had this giant blowout but you can't even bother to spend 30 seconds per note, especially when you had a YEAR to do it?
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Agreed - my cousin got married like 2 weeks before me and I saw her thank you's on my Aunts fridge which were pre printed with "Thank You" only with their photo and I almos shyt my pants, my Aunt did not understand for the life of her why I thought that was wrong... I literally bought Thank You's from Target with a cute design on them and wrote a nice message in EVERY single one of them and then hand addressed/return addressed each one of them (more than 125 or so)... Now Im still waiting (89 days) for my twatwaffle photographer to send me a disk of my photos so I can include one with each note
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    who care's weather the gift was monetary or an actual gift~ i think everyone of your guests deserves a handwritten thank you.  i am shocked that you would even consider the preprinted option, user!
  • Options
    uppereastgirluppereastgirl member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    While I hate the idea of giving money as a wedding gift because it seems lazy and impersonal to me, you can't get by with sending lazy and impersonal pre-printed thank yous to ANYONE.  You just can't.  Whether or not they spent time picking out a gift for you, they gave you generous gifts and spent their time coming to your wedding.
  • Options
    SinthyaSinthya member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    glad you seem to have come to your senses. Better to be made fun of for writing like a 3rd grader than a lazy ingrate. lol
  • Options
    imagrl10imagrl10 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    we got a preprinted thank you once from a family friend. it was the tackiest thing. the reason was because she had 200 guests..but still cheezy
  • Options
    mbcdefgmbcdefg member
    edited December 2011
    I hate the "But I don't have TIMEEEEEE!" excuses from people who have giant weddings and then don't want to handwrite the thank you cards.Bull.Shiit. Because you KNOW they probably spent hours pouring over magazines and websites looking for the *perfect* chair covers and flowers, and that they're sitting there watching TV after their weddings. You can do all that but you can't spend under a minute writing a card to someone?
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    when we wrote our thank you's it was over a few bottles of wine~ def helped writters block, lol!  i did my family, al did his and we split our friends.  i think it took us a total of 4 nights, not bad at all.al was pretty lit when he wrote the thank you to our videographer~ he bascially said, thank you so much.  i can't wait to hire you for my next wedding :)
  • Options
    kle0113kle0113 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    We (well I) handwrote each and everyone of our Thank You's!  It was a major PITA, but we got so many compliments on them so it was worth it. Erika - That to funny what Al wrote! 
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie Premature Baby tickers
  • Options
    alliecarrie41alliecarrie41 member
    edited December 2011
    thank you for changing your mind and deciding to handwrite them all -- pre-printing is horrible!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    lmao, that is something mh would say.  Priceless.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I had 253 guests and still hand wrote everyone a thank you. We did have a preprinted saying on each picture, but we still wrote every person a personalized message. It took forever, but I felt that was the right thing to do.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Come up with a short generic sentence that would be appropriate to hand-write in & add to the printing.  "It meant so much to have you there!  - User & DW"If you asked a friend or parent to do it, and they got into the routine, I doubt it would be more than a 20 minute inconvenience.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Ok, enough small talk...show me your samples!
    1st Groom

View our FOR SALE items
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    http://tinyurl.com/5a53sg  we made ours through vistraprint.  it was a postcard style on linen paper~ above the pics read:  Love~ Happiness~ Laughterand on the back was printed:  thank you for sharing in our special daythere was plenty of room to write a personal message.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    While I hate the idea of giving money as a wedding gift because it seems lazy and impersonal to me...Wow, this is pretty judgmental and also completely ignores cultural norms.  This is what my family and extended family ALWAYS does (and everyone I know that is Italian for that matter).  Is it because we are lazy? Bc we don't want to take the time to give something "personal"? That's ridiculous.  It allows the B&G to use it to help towards their new life...Frankly, the non-lazy and personal alternatives do not interest me in the least.  Is buying from a registry more personal?  Clearly not.  And buying some random thing that they might like is going to result in lots of gifts that the B&G don't need (or want).  I appreciated that people gave us money and we were able to use it towards things we really needed, whether that be to help pay for the wedding, or a downpayment for a house.I agree that generally gifts (birthdays etc) should be personal, but weddings are not the time for personalized gifts.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I have my non Italian husband now saying "La Boost"
  • Options
    kewltifkewltif member
    edited December 2011
    I much appreciated all of the "non personalized" gifts over the random stuff that some people picked out.
    Pregnancy Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards