Iowa-Quad Cities

The Photographer you don't want!!!!

I just want all the locals to know what I went through when I thought I was booking "my dream photographer". I know everyone has there own opinion and if you have or are working with this photographer, I hope the best but It was suggested to me that I let everyone know the H**L I went through with this photographer. I know this is long, but I wanted to be be 100% Honest and include every detail.

August 4, 2011 – Met with Mr. Rick Jennisch at his Studio in Downtown Davenport, Iowa. Viewed albums and images of his previous work. Receive Pricing sheet for his wedding packages. At this time we discussed the option of receiving our Engagement Images on a CD. We advised Mr. Jennisch that we would not book with a photographer who would not give us this option, due to the plan to incorporate our engagement pictures into our Wedding Centerpieces. Mr. Jennisch told advised us that typically he does not release the CD until after the Wedding but for a $100.00 fee he would offer an early release.

August 23, 2011 – Called Mr. Rick Jennisch to advise him that we were very impressed with the work shown to us and would like to book him as our Wedding Photographer. We advised Mr. Jennisch that we would need to receive the Engagement Images on a CD; he again advised us that he does not release the CD until after the wedding, when reminded that he told us we could get the early release for $100.00 he then agreed. We were advised we would immediately need to pay the $500.00 Retainer Fee. He would call when he was in the studio and could process the Retainer Fee.

August 25, 2011 – Mr. Rick Jennisch called, was provided with my Wells Fargo Debit Card Number to pay the $500.00 Retainer Fee. (Receipt Attached) I requested to also at this time book our engagement photography session. Mr. Jennisch didn’t seem very willing but did book our Engagement Session for September 30, 2011.

September 30, 2011 – Met with Rick Jennisch at his Downtown Davenport, Iowa studio. Mr. Jennisch took us around streets and alleys in Downtown Davenport to take our Engagement session. Engagement pictures were also taken at a local park, VanderVeer Park. At the End of the Session Mr. Jennisch told us he would post a “preview” of our engagement session on Facebook in about a week. He said we should allow 3-4 Weeks until we can view all our photographs on his website. When asked for timeline line as to receiving the engagement photographs on a CD, Mr. Jennisch reponsed that the CD would not be released until after the wedding. Again, reminded of our initial conversation regarding the early release, Mr. Jennisch said the CD would be available as soon as all the Photos we edited and up on his website.

October 20, 2011 – Email sent to Mr. Rick Jennisch regarding status of Engagement Session. It had been almost 3 weeks since photographs had been taken and we had not heard or seen anything, advised via return email that our photographs had not been edited yet, some would be posted on Facebook in the next week (3 weeks later then initially promised by Mr. Rick Jennisch).

November 14, 2011 – Email received from Mr. Rick Jennisch stating that Engagement Pictures would be available to view online on the following day, November 15, 2011.

November 15, 2011 – Email received from Mr. Rick Jennisch stating Engagement pictures were able to be viewed on his website.

November 16, 2011 - Reply to email requesting Status of Photo CD and could he mail it or did it need to be picked up.

November 17, 2011 – Received Email from Mr. Rick Jennisch, stating he doesn’t release engagement images on CD until after the wedding, unless we purchase a $100.00 Early Release. Reply email sent to Mr. Rick Jennisch stating that we would need to purchase the early release, per our previous conversations regarding the need for the pictures for our Center pieces, again asked Mr. Jennisch if he could mail it or did it need to be picked up. No response to reply email ever received.

Novemeber 25, 2011 – Email sent to Mr. Rick Jennisch, requesting to receive Engagement images CD. No Response ever received.

November 28, 2011 – Phone call made to the studio of Rick Jennisch Photography. No Answer, Left Voicemail requesting a return call or email in regards to Engagement Images on CD.

December 6, 2011 – Phone call made to the studio of Rick Jennisch Photography. No Answer, Left Voicemail requesting a return call or email in regards to Engagement Images on CD. Also Sent Email requesting information regarding Engagement Images on CD.

December 14, 2011 – Discourgared and Upset email sent to Mr. Rick Jennisch, regarding Engagement Images on CD.

December 15, 2011 – Recvied email response from Mr. Rick Jennisch. Telephoned him promptly after receving email. Mr. Rick Jennisch requests that the CD be picked up from his studio, agreed to pick up December 16, 2011.

December 16, 2011 – Went to the Studio of Mr. Rick Jennisch Photography, picked up the Engagement Images on CD. Mr. Rick Jennisch was Rude, hostile and very short with us. He made things very uncomfortable.

February 26, 2012 – After much review of our Engagement Session Images by us, and our family and friends, we made the final decision that we could no longer work with Mr. Jennisch. We feel the engagement pictures he provided us with are not comparable to the quality of photographs he showed us in the initial consultation or the quality of photographs he provided other couples.

We have tried and tried to convince ourselves that we are happy with our engagement pictures, but we are not. They are not comparable to the quality of photographs shown to us in the initial consultation, or the work shown on his website and Facebook. There is no variety. The same poses are repeated with different backgrounds. As engagement pictures, they are lacking any sense of romance. The day our engagement photographs were taken, it was windy. By no means is this under any photographers control, however as an experienced and professional photographer, he should have taken the initiative to change posing, location, and/or whatever else it takes to provide us with quality photographs. He showed no professionalism to do this; he just took the photographs like the quality didn’t matter.

His lack of professionalism is very hard to work with. We had our photographs taken in September and did not get to see them until mid-November, even though he clearly stated in A email it only took two and a half hours to edit the photographs. Upon finally seeing the shots, we spent another month trying to contact him to get the pictures on a CD. We told him at the initial consultation that we would not book with a photographer without the option of getting the engagement pictures on a CD because our original plan was to incorporate the engagement pictures into our centerpieces. When I am paying you, not only do I expect you to get back to me as promptly as possible, I expect you to do it respectfully. I feel that his tone during phone calls made past interactions uncomfortable and hostile and made me fear for future interactions as well.

The bottom line is this - we feel like he didn't give us the quality of product that he is capable of or the same quality of product that he gave your other clients. This terrified me about the quality we would receive on our wedding day. Our wedding day is what we consider the most important day of our lives, a day that we can only relive through our photographs.

We had our engagement photos reviewed by several other professional photographers both locally and nationwide and here is one comment one of the photographers made:

“The photographer did not take care to consider the surroundings carefully when composing the shots.  For instance, several of the photographs have a County Waste dumpster visible in the background (visible enough to clearly read the logo, even)”

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards