July 2013 Weddings

I can't be the only one...

Is anyone else on here planning on having a Saturday afternoon wedding?  I was stuck between a Friday evening and early Saturday afternoon and the afternoon had way more positives for me.  My mom's convinced no one else ever has those and lets me know that everytime we talk.  Anyone having a wedding not on Saturday night?
Wedding Countdown Ticker PersonalMilestone

Re: I can't be the only one...

• I'm the MOH for a wedding this June and it's a Saturday afternoon :) The ceremony starts at 12 and I think the reception will be over around 5 or 6. The bride did have a hard time figuring out exactly what kind of food to serve, but she ultimately went with sort of a "light dinner/heavy lunch" menu featuring pasta and such. It's a Catholic wedding, and apparently it's pretty common for those to be early in the day. She's happy it's so early because it means she doesn't have to wait around anxiously all day, and because they'll have more time to spend in the hotel together ;)

I think the only drawback to an afternoon wedding is deciding what kind of food (lots of appetizers and cocktail food or an actual meal?) and that it might feel a little bit more odd to have a dance party in the middle of the afternoon instead of at night. But that's completely up to what kind of wedding you want and how much you think your guests will dance anyway!
  • My wedding is going to be around 2 in the afternoon on Saturday reception around 5 or 6 not uncommon at all don't worry about a thing.
    Follow Me on Pinterest Wedding Countdown Ticker July 2013 Knotties April Siggy Challenge - Why July? July 20th 2013 We both love summer!
  • Mine is booked for friday night.  I wish it could be saturday night, but that was $1,000 more at my venue, so the choice was obvious!
  • What do you mean by "afternoon?" Our wedding will be around 4 or 4:30. That's technically "afternoon" to me, and it's SUPER common.
  • I am having mine on a Friday night around 6 :)
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Mine's Saturday night. As in 6pm ceremony followed by dinner and reception. I'm totally stoked about the late start time. I think afternoons are more common though, and work fine either Saturday or Sunday. You'd probably want an evening wedding on a Friday though.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

Life is good today.
  • My wedding is Friday afternoon.
    Daisypath Wedding tickers LilySlim Fitness goals tickers
  • Well I wanted a 2pm wedding with a reception until 6:30.  Except my mom pitched a fit about having to get up early and not sleep in for a 2pm wedding.  And is basically doing whatever she can to make me decide to do a 4pm wedding which would put the reception ending around 9:30.  The only thing that bothers me with that is that she doesn't believe we'd have to serve dinner and that they could pick up fastfood if they were still hungry.  I believe we'd have to serve dinner(I'm thinking buffet style or super heavy h'orderves like substantial finger foods), and that nobody is going to want to go pick up food at 9:30pm.  

Sorry if that came out like a vent it kind of was but I was kind of wondering if anyone had an opinion.  Since she refuses to cut the guest list we have to switch to a bigger venue which is therefore more expensive.  Hence why I wanted to keep the 2pm wedding but I'm not willing to put up with her pitching a fit for the next 16 months of my life so I'm okay with sucking it up and having a 4pm.  But only if we can serve dinner.
  • Unless I have a ton of resistance from my VIPs (which 2/3 of the VIPs and one possible BM from my side know my plan and haven't spoken out against it), I would love to have our wedding on a Thursday since it is my grandmother's wedding anniversary.  But we're having a super small wedding so I don't have to worry about hoards of people not coming due to the inconvenience.
    Formerly known as flutterbride2b
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards