Wedding Invitations & Paper

Reassurance on wording for heavy hors d'oeuvres

About to press DONE on my invitations, but I wanted some reassurance I'm doing the best thing with the wording for the reception. We hare having very heavy hors d'oeuvres. It's a LOT of food at 7:30 p.m. on a Friday night. I don't want people to feel like they have to eat dinner first, but also, we're not having a sit down meal. SO, right now it says all of the formal invitation language, date, address and then:

Heavy hors d'oeuvres and dancing to follow.

Do you agree that's still the best choice? (I don't have room for many more words...)

Re: Reassurance on wording for heavy hors d'oeuvres

• Somehow, that sounds like informal wording to me.  I'd say "Cocktail Reception and Dancing to follow"
    DIY & Planning | Married 

Married: 2010
    Mom to J: 2011
    Mom to H: 2014

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Dresses may be easier to take in than let out, but guest lists are not. -- kate51485
  • If it is enough food to make a meal, there isn't any need to make note.  At 7:30, people will expect a meal.  You can just put "reception to follow" or put a reception card if the location is different.  People will figure it out when they get there.
  • I wouldn't use the actual word hors d'oeuvres on the invite...  

"Cocktails and dancing to follow" sounds better.  I think that most people would expect food to accompany the cocktails...
  • If it's enough food to constitute a meal, you don't have to say that at all.  You can just say Reception immediately following.  We had a heavy hors d'oeuvres reception and that's what we did. 

To me, if you said Cocktails and Dancing, I would think I need to eat before hand because usually food that comes with a cocktail hour is pretty minimal.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_invites-paper_reassurance-wording-heavy-hors-doeuvres?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:cd062f89-8272-496a-b0ab-225e1f87acecDiscussion:4c0a4281-58b3-4e3d-b425-2807557e0016Post:d59ee368-7864-4577-ae62-53d31585b58d">Re: Reassurance on wording for heavy hors d'oeuvres</a>:
    [QUOTE]If it's enough food to constitute a meal, you don't have to say that at all.  You can just say Reception immediately following.  We had a heavy hors d'oeuvres reception and that's what we did.  To me, if you said Cocktails and Dancing, I would think I need to eat before hand because usually food that comes with a cocktail hour is pretty minimal.
    Posted by danieliza1127[/QUOTE]

<div>I change my answer to this ;)  This makes more sense...</div>
  • You can always spread the word via word-of-mouth or on your website that there will be a lot of food! 
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_invites-paper_reassurance-wording-heavy-hors-doeuvres?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:cd062f89-8272-496a-b0ab-225e1f87acecDiscussion:4c0a4281-58b3-4e3d-b425-2807557e0016Post:21d95657-e2eb-4159-a24e-1c0f4ad6427c">Re: Reassurance on wording for heavy hors d'oeuvres</a>:
    [QUOTE]I wouldn't use the actual word hors d'oeuvres on the invite... 
    Posted by ExpatPumpkin[/QUOTE]
    i wouldn't use the word Heavy on the invite.
    Holiday Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • I agree, I am having the exact same type of reception in June, and I'm finalizing the invitations now. I agree, I don't want to write "heavy" on the invitations. I like the phrase "Small Plates Reception". I actually have room in my invitations to make a menu card, so I'm going to let guests know what kind of food to expect. I have the same concern that if I indicate Cocktail Reception, that people would think they need to eat before. Since it's not as common as it is in the South to have these types of heavy apps during the dinner hour for wedding receptions, I want my guests to know exactly what they're in for. By the way, I LOVE this type of reception because I adore the thought of mingling and dancing the night away! :)
    rach
  • I agree, I am having the exact same type of reception in June, and I'm finalizing the invitations now. I agree, I don't want to write "heavy" on the invitations. I like the phrase "Small Plates Reception". I actually have room in my invitations to make a menu card, so I'm going to let guests know what kind of food to expect. I have the same concern that if I indicate Cocktail Reception, that people would think they need to eat before. Since it's not as common as it is in the South to have these types of heavy apps during the dinner hour for wedding receptions, I want my guests to know exactly what they're in for. By the way, I LOVE this type of reception because I adore the thought of mingling and dancing the night away! :)
    rach
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards