California-Los Angeles

Invitations - DIY advice?

We decided to do our own invites after thinking about the total cost if we went with the person we initially met with. However, now it seems to be maybe costing about the same =(

Do you guys have any input or recommendations on where we can go to purchase inexpensive paper and pocketfold type invites? We like the accordian style too. My FI designed our motif/layout...it's just a matter of finding the right paper and a way to put it all together in a cohesive and organized presentation. 

In total - invites, rsvp, postage, menus, and programs....we did not want to spend more than $400! Is that reasonable?

BTW, we have done our seach online and found a couple of places, but just wanted to get some inside scoop from you fellow knotties that may have already used these vendors.

So thank you in advance for the suggestions!

Re: Invitations - DIY advice?

• edited December 2011
    I think that's reasonable, depending on your number of invitations. Many girls on the DIY board and the invitations board do their invites for $2-$3 per invite.

One company the girls on invitations recommend is cardsandpockets.com. You can buy your pocketfolds and cardstock there, then either print yourself or take it to Kinkos to get printed. Good luck!
    my read shelf:
    Meredith's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
    40/112

Photobucket
  • RachA03RachA03 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Thank you! I just saw that website on one of those boards...I guess I should read a bit more on those boards............thanks again for the help! =)
  • edited December 2011
    The place I got my paper was www.paper-papers.com--they are very reasonable for the paper they carry--they carry some of the hard to find colors too.  I paid around $90 for ream of 25 huge sheets of 120lb Stardream Metallic Cover stock.  I got roughly 6  7.5 x 7.5 pocketfolds out of each sheet. Since I only required 80 invitations total.  I used the excess for other things.

All in all, if I would have bought the pocketfolds already made, I would have paid an additional $50.

If you take on DIY make sure you give yourself plenty of time so you don't have to rush shipping, and be prepared for alot of repetition.  Also factor in the cost of supplies too and make sure you're not buying anything you won't use again.

• edited December 2011
    Tom at Anchor Paper supplied quite a bi of my paper (metallic envelopes, pocketfold paper cut to custom size, etc.).  Plus, when they cut the pocketfold paper, they will give the scraps, which are huge btw, and you can use them for placecards, menus, etc...

tom@anchorpaper.com

Go to Kelly Paper - they will give you paper samples to try out for free.  They gave me a great rate on the 8.5x11 cardstock I needed too!

I have photos in my bio of my pocketfolds.  I did everything from the invite design, printed/created the actual pocketfolds, inserts, bellybands, and envelope design!

I once broke down my invite design, and I believe that before stamps each invite cost about $1.15.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • RachA03RachA03 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Thanks a bunch! I found 2 local Kelly Paper stores so maybe I can go in there and check it out?
  • edited December 2011
    We were in the same boat! I decided on DIY invites, and I LOVE them. I ordered my pocketfolds from www.cardsandpockets.com and they are AMAZING! We got all of the extra stuff like rsvp envelope, 5 side pockets, metallic paper, etc...and ours totalled $3 each. If you cut the corners a little bit (less pocket inserts, non-metallic paper, etc.) you can get the a full pocketfold kit with all the inserts from Cards and Pockets for $1.87!
  • RachA03RachA03 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Thanks so much! We actually got our sample in the mail and it looks awesome!!!!  I think our overall total for everything ordered from card and pockets (including shipping) will be about $200 something! So not bad at all.

Thanks for all the input! I even checked out kelly paper and they have good deals! I think we'll be going to them for programs and menu paper =)
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards