Military Brides
Options

Any advice??

Due to money constraints, we are having our ceremony and reception at the same location. It is one large event room sort of split in two, with a dance floor and stage on one side and a large area with tables, bar, kitchen, etc. on the other side. I am trying to figure out how to seperate the two rooms to make the ceremony more intimate and not feel like guests are just sitting right next to the reception area. Any help is appreciated! Keep in mind, the ceilings are really high! Thanks! :)

Re: Any advice??

• Options
    calindicalindi member
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011

I think we'll all be happy to help, but we're kind of a small board and most of our conversations are about life, Pinterest, food, books, movies, and the military.

Perhaps check out a busier board, like Budget Weddings or Reception Ideas, or even Etiquette?  You'll probably get more responses that way, and maybe someone has had the same issue.

My idea would be to drape fabric between the two spaces - after the ceremony, you can tie the fabric up with ribbons to open the space up again.

Anniversary

• Options
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_military-brides_advice-4?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special Topic Wedding BoardsForum:13Discussion:ab0cfb54-9723-4941-a6ed-fa8e4284a4c1Post:028338c6-5bf3-4aec-bcae-e82a7c40dacb">Re: Any advice??</a>:
    [QUOTE]I think we'll all be happy to help, but we're kind of a small board and most of our conversations are about life, Pinterest, food, books, movies, and the military. Perhaps check out a busier board, like Budget Weddings or Reception Ideas, or even Etiquette?  You'll probably get more responses that way, and maybe someone has had the same issue. My idea would be to drape fabric between the two spaces - after the ceremony, you can tie the fabric up with ribbons to open the space up again.
    Posted by calindi[/QUOTE]

Cute, maybe like curtains, and you can make your "grand entrance" through them!
  • Options
    Beachy730Beachy730 member
    edited December 2011
    Is there other furniture in the room besides just the tables and chairs?  Or is it more of an open hall with just tables and chairs?  If there is other furniture like couches and arm chairs, you can position those kind of in a line with their backs to the ceremony site so that it kind of splits the room.

Other ideas I've seen are to have trees (real or fake) about 5' high that form a dividing line between the two.  You could put lights on the trees if you wanted to dress them up a bit, or just leave them.  

I also agree with C that you'll probably get more ideas and maybe even picture proof on boards like budget weddings, DIY, or reception ideas.
    imageBabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I would agree with the tree or curtains.  Have you talked with the person in charge at the venue?  When we were planning those folks were so helpful!  Also, if you have a photographer that has shot at the space ask them if they have seen anything like that.
  • Options
    megleigh86megleigh86 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011

Thanks for the posts! I am really liking the tree idea. Thanks again :)

• Options
    edited December 2011
    We ALMOST had a similar situation. We considered buying a bunch of those fun paper lanterns in our wedding colors and hanging them at different heights to seperate the spaces.
    You could also do some oragami chains like a bunch of flowers on a fishing wire and hang those like curtains.
    you could also go buy builk fabric in your wedding colors to seperate the space. That would look pretty, but COULD get expensive so I would shop around for that one.
  • Options
    calindicalindi member
    edited December 2011
    I LOVE the tree idea!  I've been a big fan ever since the Royal Wedding had trees all down the aisle.

It may be expensive, so you'll have to look into it.  I know for us, we wanted to have potted trees (instead of an arch or altar) since we're getting married outside, but they were super expensive.  Instead, we're doing topiaries that have hydrangeas stuffed into them.  They're very pretty - still pretty pricey, but very nice!

You may be able to create your own trees of sorts, if you're craft - I've seen people take branches and spray paint them silver or gold, and stick them in pots (use florist's foam or just cement them in!) and then hang little crystals on them or something.  You'd have to have some decently big branches, but it might be a fun project!

Anniversary

• Options
    edited December 2011
    I was just thinking that calindi.
    You can get big vases (ours are three feet tall) and 6ft branches in them.. spray paint them any color and use those to separate the space. These are what we have (they are for, down the aisle, but it would work for separators as wel!)

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards