Wedding Vows & Ceremony Discussions
Options

Handfasting Cords

Where can I buy one either custom made or make it myself?  Can I use necklace charms with it.  How can my soon to be husband explain a Handfasting to his family? 

Re: Handfasting Cords

• Options
    Have you tried etsy, or Pagan/Wiccan speciality shops?

As for explaining the handfasting, I imagine it would depend on what type you're having.  I've seen everything from incorporating the handfasting concept into an otherwise traditional Christian wedding, to a full-on Wiccan handfasting ceremony with casting a Circle and calling Quarters and so forth.  I would imagine what your husband would need to explain would depend an awful  lot on what end of that spectrum you're planning your wedding to be on.  But either way, it shouldn't be a big deal, he just needs to tell them loosely what to expect during the ceremony. 
  • Options
    Lisa50Lisa50 member
    5 Love Its Combo Breaker First Comment
    He should explain handfasting in terms he understands/knows.  If he does not know how to explain handfasting, it may not be such a good idea include it as part of your ceremony.
  • Options
    I think I read the initial post as Lisa did - it sounds  like kelcrenee is doing this more as a novelty or a nod to heritage than as a pagan ritual (because I would think if she were a practicing pagan/wiccan she would know where to get the cords).  So I think Lisa means that if the soon to be husband is unable to explain to his family why they are doing this, maybe they shouldn't do it.
  • Options
    Lisa50Lisa50 member
    5 Love Its Combo Breaker First Comment
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_ceremony-ideas_handfasting-cords?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:10Discussion:6343538d-3cb2-4ea3-91cb-1fa22c166f00Post:8d2a4ec9-9712-42a3-b5d3-10f005b5c62a">Re:Handfasting Cords</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re:Handfasting Cords: What does that even mean? If he does not know how to explain a Pagan ritual to someone who may have issues with the practice in a way that makes them more comfortable with it, it should be excluded from the ceremony? Seriously???
    Posted by StageManager14[/QUOTE]

Yes, seriously.  If handfasting is just being thrown into this ceremony as an add-on, and not something central to his beliefts, then maybe they should re-consider having it.   <em>Of course</em>, there will be people who do not know what it is ... I read OP's post as her FI did not know how to explain it (as in ... he does not know what it is).   Perhaps I mis-interpreted.  If so, no harm no foul. 
  • Options
    Ok, most Pagan couples MAKE their own cords.  They're usually from natural materials (silk cords, called rattail is the most common) or ribbon of your Scottish Clan Tartan.  Each color, if you go the braided route, symbolizes something. 

I understand that some may not be on-board--you can say it's an ancient Celtic thing, but I read it, too, that if you don't know all, or even some of the symbolism, it might not be a good idea to incorporate into the ceremony.   If you're not of Celtic descent, then that doesn't work, though, does it?

Theres a great book with a bad name called "A Romantic Guide to Handfasting" which gives a lot of detail. 
    image Don't mess with the old dogs; age and treachery will always overcome youth and skill! BS and brilliance only come with age and experience.
  • Options
    Binding TiesBinding Ties member
    First Comment
    edited June 2012
    In Response to Re: Handfasting Cords:
    I've got to be honest, I have a vested interest here as I make and sell custom handfasting cords.  However, if the original poster wants to go along to my site at www.bindingties.co.uk, theres a 'What is Handfasting?' section that explains it in a non-scary way for the relatives.  No obligation to purchase a cord :-)
  • Options
    Handfasting is not only a wiccan tradition, it is an irish/celtic tradition. Prince William did it at thier wedding. Just saying..
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards