Snarky Brides
Options

>:(

Is anyone else having a problem with their soon to be extended family, and how are you handling it?  I'm really hurt by a couple on my fiance's side and need some encouragement.

Re: >:(

• Options
    Yeah, no clue what you're talking about.
    Oh no we dropped the groom!! imagePlanning Bio UPDATED
  • Options
    What'd they do?
  • Options
    They can suck, I agree...it is about picking your battles...I have had to do it a couple of times, and sometimes, it is just about being honest...whether brutal, or not...if they are adults, they will understand...this may be silly, but my FMIL wanted chair covers; I told her I was not willing to pay, I felt it was an unnecessary expense, and she said she would pay...just be honest...
  • Options
    i'm not sure what exactly you're going through, but i understand how you're feeling.
    my future step-MIL made some pretty mean comments on my facebook, and i ended up deleting it for a couple days. i brought it back, but now i just don't post anything on it, so that she can't reply to it. it's kind of annoying. she just speaks/types without thinking about what she's saying and how it can affect others.

there are some things you have to blow off and move on, and there will be some things that you need to confront on. like bubbala said, you have to pick your fights...
    *hugs* 
    *marc & catrina*
    *10.9.10*
  • Options
    I have been having problems with my soon-to-be in-laws for the last 6 years.  They dislike me because of my religious background and the fact that my FI and I have lived together without being married for most of our relationship.  They claim I "brought the demons" on their family and have told my FI lies about me in an attempt to break us up.  Fortunately these lies were so outrageous that he didn't believe them.  For example, his aunt claimed I went to her asking for money.  His aunt lives in a trailer and doesn't work; why would I go to her for money when I don't even ask my parents for money?  Our solution (my FI's idea) was to cut them out of our lives completely.  They don't know we're getting married and they certainly aren't invited to the wedding.

Stop The Drama!

image Love people. Use things. Never confuse the two.
  • Options
    That's such an open-ended question that you're inviting a lot of responses.

If my MIL says something insensitive (like "Wow, babling, you haven't gained weight since the last time I saw you!") I ignore it and DH and I have a laugh about it later.  (She usually says things like that when DH is out of earshot; when he is in earshot, he gives her a piece of his mind in their native language.)

If MIL oversteps her boundaries, DH runs interference to make her stop.

If DH's extended family gets too nosy about certain things, DH steers the conversation in another direction.

Do you see a theme here?  DH is on my side and helps me with his family.  Same as I help him with mine.  If your FI can't or won't help you deal with his family, you need to look at that and think about what the rest of your life will be like.  But since your question was so vague, I don't know if any of this helps you.
    Courtesy of megk8oz
    "I think bablingbrooke is the 13 yr old marring her cousin at the town hall. Lets all give her a big hand. And hope her inbred children can live normal lives." -tabs.

A word of warning from your friends at Cracked.com: Remember that text is going to be how you make your first impression over the internet; if every third word you type is misspelled, people will automatically assume that you're a moron.
  • Options
    I don't know if I'd listen to Babling. I mean, she wears salamipants and doesn't understand what racism is.

• Options
    Just don't get married.  Problem solved.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards