June 2012 Weddings

Family Issues --- 3 days before the wedding!

Long story I am going to try to sum up quickly.

My Aunt and Uncle who I grew up very close to and am very close with their kids made some bad decisions about 5 years ago. I am from a very large family so of course everyone has their own opinions. My grandpa is a very ahrd headed man along with a few of my uncles. One in particular cannot even be around my aunt and uncle who made the bad decisions--- neither can my grandpa. 

For the last 5 years, my aunt, uncles, and grandparents have made it very known that my uncle is not invited to any family functions. My parents have been very close to my aunt and uncle (my aunt is my moms sister) so they have never been on the "dark side". 

2 weeks ago we were at my cousins graduation. My uncle has been coming around more and it has been great! He has been nothing but an outstanding uncle to us so its really awesome to see him coming back around. As soon as one of my aunt and uncle saw him (neither of them am I very fond of) they packed their stuff and left---> BECAUSE HE WAS THERE! Same with my grandpa. My Aunt realized this and just left. She was very upset and beside herself...

So where I am getting at now is that my wedding is in 3 days... and I dont want this going on there... Why can some poeple just not realize people have to deal with their own consequences. I dont understand it. So now its either have the aunt and uncle I dont care for there or the one who has been way more of a family member in the past...

Re: Family Issues --- 3 days before the wedding!

• You're the mature one here for not holding onto the past forever. There's nothing you can do here. Let the uncle know how much you want him there and if they don't want to stick around your wedding because of their petty feelings, they can leave.

I'm sorry but this hits a cord with me because my mom is the youngest of 10. I have an uncle who has been the "black sheep" of the family for years but I never stopped loving him. He's wonderfully accomodating when we visit him in TN and has always been there for me. I have made it known from the very beginning that I wanted him at my wedding and guess what, he's coming! To the first family wedding in YEARS. His own twin brother wouldn't allow his son to invite the uncle to their wedding last year. It infuriates me.

I love the rest of my family as well but if any of them choose to leave because he shows up, they can kiss my ass.
  • So sorry you are going through this sooo close to your wedding.
    I had some family drama a few months back and it was awful.. still not resolved and as a result my Aunt (who I was really close to..she is only 5 years older) is not coming to my wedding.

I agree with Midge... they need to suck it up for your wedding and not be so immature and petty. Hope it all goes well and try not to stress about stupid people :)
  • If people can't hold it together for a few hours for their neice/granddaughters wedding, then they can KMA.

I have family like this too, and I've made it loud and clear that if they choose to leave, that's on them. And then I would probably rethink my relationship with that person, too. I have a hard time wanting to stay close to people who live in their own world and can't play nice for 2 seconds in their life.

I'm sorry you're dealing with this and hopefully you don't have major drama on wedding day... but like Midge said, good on you for being the mature one here!
  • Hey girls! Thanks for the reminder that I am not in the wrong with the way I am thinking. Its funny because the aunt and uncle that are judging have NO room WHATSOEVER to judge... She is actually the last person that needs to be judging others on their decisions! I hope everything goes well and I am trying not to worry about it however its on my moms side of the family and she is so very worried about something happening. I hope it doesnt get to her at this time! 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards