September 2012 Weddings
Options

Wedding Question

I am torn between 5:00, 5:30 or 6:00 for an outdoor wedding/ceremony. The majority of the decor is lighting based so I want it to be a little dark for the reception time to get the full effect. We are getting married in Central PA with a BBQ reception on Sept 1st. I don't know what to do. I feel like 6 might be too late but 5/5:30 kinda strikes me as an odd time. I don't know why though. Any thoughts or opinions? Even if your opinion is "Stop overthinking....close yours eyes and pick a time for goodness sake" :) 

Thank you for any input you might have to offer...

Re: Wedding Question

• Options
    I would do 6:00 for the ceremony start time.  I know here in NC, it's still light out up until 8-9 at the beginning of September.
    image180 image85 image8 Wedding Countdown Ticker image
  • Options
    We are getting married at 5:30. Not sure why that seems weird to you honestly. I'd just pick a time. It's still early enough in the year that it's still going to be light outside.
  • Options
    Our venue would only let us do 4:30 for an outdoor ceremony, not sure why. I always thought that 6:00 ceremonies were for ultraformal and black tie weddings. If I had the choice, I would have picked 5:00.
    Anniversary
  • Options
    peachiejeanpeachiejean member
    First Comment
    edited July 2012
     I'm sorry I said that the 5/5:30 time slot was strange to me. I don't have any explanation to why I felt that way. Thank you so much for your thoughts everyone….I very much appreciate it

I had every intention of having this all done by now….and because I don’t…I feel a little scatter-brained. I find myself worried about every decision because I cannot commit enough time to really thinking about it.

Again, thank you ladies soooo much!!

• Options
    We are doing 4:30pm. We wanted a longer cocktail hour. Ask your venue for the nights timeline and if you feel rushed have an earlier ceremony. I hear the day is a whirlwind so I prefer more time to celebrate ;)
  • Options
    We are doing outside and our start time is 6pm. I am getting married at the end of September.
    image 211 Invited image 153 Ready to Party image 58 Are Missing Out Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    Our venue is my aunt's barn. I have conflicted issues with 5 and 6. I checked when the sun was supossed to set for Sept 2012 in our area and it said 7:30. Most of the decorations are candles and string lights. The ceremony is in the barn so lights will be okay regardless of time of day. But, for the reception I would like it kinda dark.

The important point another poster touched on is that I would like to spend as much time as possible celebrating. Also, for children a late wedding my be a problem. 

I don't know what factors are most important to me.

I really appreciate all your replies. It has helped me sort out my own thoughts. You guys are the best!
  • Options
    We are having an all outdoor wedding as well. Our ceremony is 4:30-5, 5-6 cocktail hour and 6-10 reception. 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker Follow Me on Pinterest
  • Options
    We're having an outdoor ceremony and our reception in a barn as well. We're having the ceremony start at 5:30. We wanted an outdoor wedding and, yes, it will still be pretty light outside so we won't have the full effect of the lighting until a little later. Buuut... the amount of hours we get for the DJ and when we have to be out of the venue made a huge difference. Also, you don't want it to be too, too late because older guests may not want to be out for too long. I'd factor all of that in. THEN, close your eyes and pick a time! lol
  • Options
    I'd do it at 6pm then, if you want the reception to be a little dark. 
    September 2012 Siggy Challenge: Wedding Preview!
    imageWedding Countdown Ticker

122image 110image 12image
  • Options
    How long is your ceremony going to be?  Is there travel time between your ceremony and your venue?

By 7pm, I'm starving.  So work backwards from there - you want to probably aim for people to start eating around 6:30pm at least.  So if you're getting married on site (walking distance from food), and having a short ceremony, 6pm would be fine.  If there's any travel time between ceremony and reception, or if you're having a long ceremony, I'd start at 5pm.

We're starting at 4:30pm because I wanted to have some wiggle room in case the ceremony started late, and I don't mind starting at 5pm, but 5:30pm felt too late for me as we have to leave the venue at 11pm.

Anniversary

• Options
    We are getting married at 5:30pm as well.  Our ceremony is also outdoors and is in Arizona it gets dark earlier in AZ so by 5:30 the sun is just starting to set and it will also be a little bit cooler so our guests aren't so uncomfortable with the heat.
    Anniversary Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    I live in central PA too!! lol I would go for 5:30
  • Options
    Check Calendar-365.com for sunset times.  Looks like for September it averages about 7:00 in Philly and 7:30 in Pittsburg-not knowing where exactly where you are.  I think 6 would be better because it will be nice dusky like and shortly after your ceremony the sun will start setting in time for your reception.
    Sept 2012 Siggy:Bridesmaids' Dresses
    Bari Jay 911 in Raspberry
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards